How much of a pig is it to take a manifold off & wrap it

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
As above really.

The manifold is giving off some serious heat under the bonnet & would like to help get this down.

Any ideas, tips etc?

Thanks in advance :wink:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
If your going to do it, your need to out your car up on Jack Stands.

Take your time when removing / putting the manifold back on. Ensure your do not over tighten the nuts which holds the manifold to the exhaust ports of the engine.... as your wouldn't want to break the studs attached the engine head.

You will use more wrap than you think you will. When doing this, remember to over lap. the material normally at least half the width of the wrap.

Above all, take your time

Mike

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
Hmm.....might speak to Tom about doing this when I pop up there next month. Depending on what it costs I think he'll end up doing it tbh :oops:

mikegsi

Staff member
Re: How much of a pig is it to take a manifold off & wra

SpaceMonkey said:
As above really.

The manifold is giving off some serious heat under the bonnet & would like to help get this down.

Any ideas, tips etc?

Thanks in advance :wink:
consider changing your bonnet for one which allows more cold air to cicrulate and also allows the hot air to rise out, i haev a c-west c/f one and when stationary you can see the haze as the heat comes out of the uppermost breathing slot, there are also two slots nearer the front of teh bonnet which allow the cold air in.

heat wrapping wont get rid of the heat, but will keep the majority of it within the manifold

aself66

Advanced Member
mike you love that bonnet dont you? im kinda regrettin selling it haha give it back :wink:

iDrew

Advanced Member

mikegsi said:
consider changing your bonnet for one which allows more cold air to cicrulate and also allows the hot air to rise out, i haev a c-west c/f one and when stationary you can see the haze as the heat comes out of the uppermost breathing slot, there are also two slots nearer the front of teh bonnet which allow the cold air in.
I also get this with my Mugen :wink:

If you wrap it yourself, dampen the exhaust wrap as it is easier to apply and shrinks a bit as it dries. Fix the heat wrap with stainless ties.

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member

mikegsi said:

heat wrapping wont get rid of the heat, but will keep the majority of it within the manifold
I already have a BuddyClub carbon bonnet that has a vent in it & like yourself i can see the heat haze @ standstill.

I know the wrap will keep the heat in the manifold & read that this helps "Scavenging" exhaust gases.

If I'm honest I don't know what this is, but know it helps with getting exhaust gasses out.

dan the man

Advanced Member
What about cracking- whats everyones thoughts?

myth? someones suggestion?

I still have not learnt.

Evs

Advanced Member

SpaceMonkey said:
I know the wrap will keep the heat in the manifold & read that this helps "Scavenging" exhaust gases.

If I'm honest I don't know what this is, but know it helps with getting exhaust gasses out.
The principle is that hot gases are less dense (ie lighter per unit volume) and therefore take less energy to push them down the pipe, ie they create less back pressure. So insulating the pipe and keeping the gases hotter can reduce back pressure.

The term 'scavenging' usually refers to the use of valve overlap to promote the pushing of exhaust gas out with the inlet charge in the cylinder when both valves are open at the same time. Lower back pressure promotes this, because it makes it easier for the inlet charge to push the spent gases out through the exhaust.

HTH :)

Evs

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
What about cracking- whats everyones thoughts?

myth? someones suggestion?

I still have not learnt.
Can't say for sure but I personally think it's a myth. I haven't heard a substantive report or seen any pics of cracking caused by wrapping. I've seen a few people ask the question (perpetuating the myth?) but not seen anyone answer it with any evidence.

Plenty of cracked flex-pipes due to engine movement, but that's quite a different thing.

If anyone knows any different then I'd be happy to be proved wrong though...

dan the man

Advanced Member
i once cracked a fanimold after i gave it a good rappin? dunno if that counts and decide what it means as u will :| :? :lol:

Wootty

Advanced Member
If your taking your manifold off then when you jack the car up on axle stands then also jack your wheels up too as the atnti-roll bar will rock over if you dont and you wont be able to get the header out - just a helpful hint.

I'm going to wrap mine next time if I have to change the header back for MOT - unless I can find a friendly garage round here... :wink:

azriDC5R

Advanced Member
hey what about ceramic coating, its supposed to serve the same purpose... with much nicer natural finish, can get it in black/silver... has anyone tried it out...

andyd

Advanced Member
Wootty said:
If your taking your manifold off then when you jack the car up on axle stands then also jack your wheels up too as the atnti-roll bar will rock over if you dont and you wont be able to get the header out - just a helpful hint.

I'm going to wrap mine next time if I have to change the header back for MOT - unless I can find a friendly garage round here... :wink:
If it's a Toda or a 4-2-1 header your going to need to take the rear gearbox mount as well.

Andy

crxvtec

Advanced Member

Evs said:
The principle is that hot gases are less dense (ie lighter per unit volume) and therefore take less energy to push them down the pipe, ie they create less back pressure. So insulating the pipe and keeping the gases hotter can reduce back pressure.

HTH :)
lighter per unit volume, yes, however the mass of gas put out is fixed whether the manifold is wrapped or not, the temperature's your variable...so the higher the temp, the greater the pressure (Boyle's law) - hence by keeping the heat in the manifold you actually increase back-pressure.

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
Spoken to Tom about this & because the MaximWorks manifold has 4 flexi's, it might not be such a decent job.

He'll be looking @ possibly wrapping to & after the flexi's, but will check when I'm up there next month.

Thanks for all the replies though gang :wink: