How much oil does a dc5 take ?

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Had a service today I bought castrol magnatech 10 40 ther was one 4ltre tub and one 1ltr tub used them both andwas nearly on the stick I have since bought 1 litre from elsewhere an used that and now it's spot on I read that the dc5 only held 4.2 to 4.7 litres have I been stitched up or is this right ?

wayne_teggy

Advanced Member
I always put in 4 litres and then keep checking the stick, I've never put a whole 5 litres in though.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
6 litres sounds too much. I think its 4.7 according to the manual but I found exactly 5 litres took me a fraction above max which I also read was perfectly safe and gives you some extra margin (providing it is only a fraction)

Not sure if anyone else is using that oil on here either. There are much better grades as far as I know that you may want to consider using in future. Take a look at some of the other posts in the oils section for more info.

Bonito

Advanced Member
Just under 5 including the filter. Make sure you're emptying properly and stop at 4.5L and then give it time to get down to the sump. Then top up bit by bit until happy. Each time you add more give it time to reach the sump. I think someone on here said it's .5L between Min and Max on the stick.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Well I have put in 6 now bar a tad left in the last litre I bought and it's just hit the maximum mark so think castrol is well under filled il be goin back tomorow for some money back or a free litre I will be doin another oil change in a month anyway as I want it to have a thorough clean out I definitely won't use castrol magnatech again what a bunch of cheapskates lol

Bonito

Advanced Member
6 is definitely too much but if you're sure you've measured right then the bottles are under filled. I always leave mine just under Max when cold as when the oil is at operating temp it just creeps over the max mark.

Zani

Advanced Member
If you drain your old oil correctly, you should be able to put in close to makes no difference 5 litres.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
As said, just under 5 and for the gearbox (for all it costs and how easy it is worth doing everytime you service IMO) is 1.8-1.9.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Mtf 3 normally. Not sure what mtf 94 is from but that may well be what got put in mine at tgm last. I remember seeing it was a different mtf than 3 but can't remember the number nor do I know what the difference is if any.

Shane as far as oil choice goes I think there are two or three main contenders. Everyone will have their own favourites but if you speak to Opie they will tell you all 3 are just as good as each other.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
I'll be ordering some more from opie oils next month to change the oil again I won't use castrol again

brucey87

Advanced Member
The only oil i would use, or that i do use is fuchs pro-s 5w-40 or millers nanodrive 5w-40. Iv changed the oil a fair few times and each time has took just over 5 litres to get to the top mark on the dipstick.

BLaCkDC5R

Advanced Member
its 4.7L including the oil filter mate. Just wait a little bit after reaching 4.5L mark since the oil needs some time to go down. Check the level and then add little by little.

brucey87

Advanced Member
Weird how some peoples take just under and some take just over 5 litres. Even when honda done my first service, i supplied them with 5 litres and they said they needed a bit more to top up, and its the same now i do it myself.

dotty

Advanced Member
I am usually left with around 150ml left from a 5l bottle of oil after a oil/filter change.

Chelt_scene

Advanced Member
I did one the other day about 4.5ltr

Played it safe with 3 ltr first then just kept topping up up slowly till it was correct

JezW

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
exactly 5 litres took me a fraction above max which I also read was perfectly safe and gives you some extra margin (providing it is only a fraction)
Sorry to hijack...but...right at the end of a 120mile motorway journey on Sunday night (literally as I parked up) the oil light came on on my Golf TDI. The next morning it was off, so I stopped at halfords on the way home from work and topped it up. I assumed I needed to put a fair amount in...

I put in just over a litre, checked the line and it was just above it - about 3mm above the max (when completely cold). I was a bit worried and checked it a good 5 times before asking the person in Halfords what they thought, and they said don't worry... If I turn the engine on for a few minutes and then turn it off and wait 5 mins it's about 1mm below the max.

No need to worry about a few mm over the max on a completely cold start is there?

Mostly a google search suggests that a few mm is not a concern at all, but some people say you should drain some out.

And in case you're wondering, the Golf is on the way out for a DC5 :)

dc5ian

Advanced Member
a few mm over the max mark shouldnt be a concern, alot of dc5's are over filled, especially thos that are tracked to help prevent oil starvation.

why was your oil low, when was it serviced last, have you checked for leaks?

JezW

Advanced Member
hi Ian,

it had an oil change 7000 miles ago and is due a service in 3000 miles. First time it's flashed up since I've owned the car...

I'll look into it further. I suppose it's slightly strange that the oil light came on but it was almost full! Could be a faulty sensor perhaps hmmm