How to change front pads?

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
Should think its quite straight forward?

Any guides/tips? as i'd like to have a crack at this myself..

Suped

Advanced Member
get a ramp!! it makes life so much easier.

This was discussed awhile ago and also a step by step guide on it somewhere in here. :lol:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Suped said:

This was discussed awhile ago and also a step by step guide on it somewhere in here. :lol:
Dont listen to Eddie, he gets TGM to pump up his tyres :p :lol:

You wont be able to take the wheels off if you're on ramps :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
front pads are a doddle to change, brembo's are very straight forward things, the rear ones are easy enough too for that matter!!

Suped

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
Suped said:

Who you calling TGM whore??!!!

I guess with the right tools, pads can be done within 30 minutes on both sides.

g-zone

Advanced Member
I'd like to know too? Does the whole caliper have to come off. Is there an online guide for this, as the RSX manual is for the non-brembo front brakes.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Suped said:
BadBadtz said:
Suped said:

Who you calling TGM whore??!!!

I guess with the right tools, pads can be done within 30 minutes on both sides.
:xhuh:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunatly the RSX caliper is nothing like a brembo, it does not need to be removed or loosened or swiveled in any way to change pads only disc,

one hint make sure you push back the brembo pistons evenly.

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
u dont remove them at all - u remove two pins at the back and a pressure plate thing..

Then squeeze the pistons back and it releases the pads - then pop the new ones in..

g-zone

Advanced Member
Thanks. Thought it was something to do with those pins. How were the pistons squeezed back - was it just with a g-clamp or something?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
g-zone said:
Thanks. Thought it was something to do with those pins. How were the pistons squeezed back - was it just with a g-clamp or something?
By hand should do it

dan the man

Advanced Member
copper grease the rear of the pads remember and shims. give the brembos a good clean inside and out while pads out too. :wink:

JT3173

Advanced Member
Does anyone know what kind of tool to use to get the bolts out so the caliper can be lifted up?

I had a look today and found that a allen key fits but was not sure if that was the right tool for the job as from what I could see from poking my head into the wheel arch and round the back of the caliper the bolts that hold it in place have some sort of star pattern in them?

Do they require alot of force as I only have a trolly jack and cannot get underneith the car. Would you recomend jacking the car up and putting it on axel stands so I can get underneith it?

Any prompt answers would be greatly appriciated!

Oh, using the RSX workshop manula for the job, is there anything I should watch out for on the Brembo's as there must be a different proceadure! Do I take all of the bolts out at the back?

Thanks,

James