How To - Change inside taillights into foglight

Allen

Advanced Member
After reading about using your inside taillights as fogs (and gettin sick of telling people why i only have one reverse light) I thought i'd sort mine out.

These instruction are for if your using the right hand side reverse as the fog. Bit of common sense will allow you to use them another way.

You'll Need...

Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire Cutters
Stanley Knife
Insulation Tape
Metre Length of Wire
Wire Strippers (if you need them)
Bits of cardboard

1) Remove both of these panels...

2) Remove the plug for the inside light, the brake light wire is the yellow and black one. You can see the original green wire (bottom left) for the reverse light

3) Cut the yellow/black wire and where you fog light (black) wire is joined to the reverse light (green). Tape back up any bare wires.

Left hand black = Fog
Left hand green = Original reverse light (supply)
Middle yellow/black = brake light
Right hand green = To reverse light lamp

4) Put some card under where your soldering and on the floor of the boot.
You dont want this to fall on your carpet...

5) Solder the two green ones together
Solder the leght of wire (to go to the other light) then take out about 20mm of the insulation about 50mm - 100mm up the wire and solder on a small piece and join it to the yelow/black wire. tape all on the joints with insulation tape.
Sounds abit complicated but you'll see what i mean in the pic.

6) Now cable tie the wire to the loom going from light to light (I did cut off the ends after I took the pic)

7) Solder this onto the other yellow/black on the other side

And thats it, pretty simple. Should take less than a hour.

Lights will now look like this...

Reverse

Tail lights

Brake lights

Fog lights

Allen

Advanced Member
Tim J said:
Top write up - well done that man =D>
Thanks v much :D

Forgot to mention, its better to use heat shrink instead of insulation tape (gas ran out on my gas solderer so i used tape)

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
Great write-up xthumbup. This will be my next mod.
So i can get rid off the red-out what's on the reverse light \:D/

phil r

Advanced Member
how to change the tail lights into foglights

Allen just wondered if your related to gun who used to be on here :lol: :lol:
only joking mate great write up for everyone will be looking forward for next weeks episode in the GARAGE :lol: :lol:

Allen

Advanced Member
Re: how to change the tail lights into foglights

phil r said:
Allen just wondered if your related to gun who used to be on here :lol: :lol:
Dont get it... :oops: :lol:

phil r

Advanced Member
how to change inside brake lights into fog lights

Gunn use to be a member on here real nice bloke , another local chap aswell but he was known for his threads , real perfectionest , not that there is anything wrong with that , you just remind me of him so I was just pulling your leg , keep up the good work mate might pop down to the garage my self for mod or 2 :wink: :lol:

mikegsi

Staff member
very similar to how mine was, however i had mine so that for 364 days of the year (365 in leap year) i kept both the brake lights, and for mot day the inner brake lights became the rear fog lights

just a couple of male/female bullet connectors meant i could switch from brake lights to fog lights in a few seconds

also meant that for 364 days of the year (365 in leap year) i didnt have a rear fog light

Allen

Advanced Member
Re: how to change inside brake lights into fog lights

phil r said:
Gunn use to be a member on here real nice bloke , another local chap aswell but he was known for his threads , real perfectionest , not that there is anything wrong with that , you just remind me of him so I was just pulling your leg , keep up the good work mate might pop down to the garage my self for mod or 2 :wink: :lol:
Gunn79?...
No worries, Noticed theres a few owners in Devon, should do a miny meet

mikegsi said:
just a couple of male/female bullet connectors meant i could switch from brake lights to fog lights in a few seconds
good idea, might change mine...

Mark_teg

Staff member
mikegsi said:
very similar to how mine was, however i had mine so that for 364 days of the year (365 in leap year) i kept both the brake lights, and for mot day the inner brake lights became the rear fog lights

also meant that for 364 days of the year (365 in leap year) i didnt have a rear fog light
Thats what I'm planning. MOT in 3 weeks time so I'd better get round to it prompto!

redcap

Advanced Member
You might find this will not pass an MOT? I did mine to be reg light brakes and fog with shared functions it was flagged at the MOT. The fog has to be independant.

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
can someone do a how to for rigging the tail lights as a fog from only having a seperate fog light?

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:

can this be done easily?

Allen

Advanced Member
BillyMcc said:
can someone do a how to for rigging the tail lights as a fog from only having a seperate fog light?
Do you mean a bolt on fog light?...

Using the wire that comes FROM your fog light switch and do the same as described.

This is the fog light switch wire...

jay82

Advanced Member
good read up, if i needed fog lights thats what i'd do. nice moutain bike by the way

Allen

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
thats a good write up, mine was wired to one reverse light :?
Think alot of them are mate, dont loose a reverse light this way.

jay82 said:
nice moutain bike by the way
Cheers, its my other pride and joy :D

12T

Advanced Member
Say i want to keep both brake lights but have the inside lights as fog lights when switched on, how would i do that?

Nice how to guide :D
Will be trying this myself

Thanks