How To...Change the power steering fluid

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
So after last weekend shenanigans with my power steering fluid cover my engine bay (had to laugh as it was the morning of a show as well) I needed to replenish my power steering fluid.

Rather than top it up I decided to completely change it. I bought the specific fluid from cox motor group and it arrived yesterday.

See this video helped me immensely -

What can I say my power steering pump is still groaning (probably some sir inside) took it out for a spirited drive and by god it feels millions better with clean fluid in.

Hope this helps someone else in time.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-power-steering-fluid-1-litre-p-994.html#googlebase

I used this mate, didnt use it all though.

dave c

400hp K20
If you need a second hand pump I have one, just bought it off intergrastella for £130 but only needed one of the pipes.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
My pump seems ok just a bit of air is all (froth inside the bottle is a giveaway lol) if things dont improve after JAE ill look into new pump but changing the fluid has made a ton of difference to the noise it was making and the steerin feel etc

maxvr6

Advanced Member
This is quite a good little vid, I've noticed a bit of groan from my pump recently and checked the colour of the fluid after work today, it's pretty brown so I will be having a go at this myself.

Did you find the steps to be exactly the same when you did it or was anything slightly different? Any difficulties with draining the old fluid?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Lol steps the same yes, problems definetely lol

I did this myself and rather than just remove the one hose when draining I removed both and took the resevoir out to ensure full drainage.

As I did this myself I had to zip tie the extended hose into a pot and keep an eye on it whilst turning the steering wheel, other than that it was fairly straight forward but the colour of the crap that came out was unbelievable tbh.

The steering feels miles better know and the groan is dying but there is definetely air locked in there hense the bubbly froth.

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
Sorry to bump old thread

Just adding my 2 pence, I done this last night and am happy to re-iterate Teegwas message - steering feel was dramatically improved! Car drives silky smooth now. Really worth doing for the sake of 15 quid.

chrex

Advanced Member
This is something i REALLY need to do. Current fluid looks minging and the pump does not sound too happy when its cold.

AlanS

Advanced Member
Looking at the video the guy only turned the steering slightly when getting rid off the remaining fluid in the system.
Can you not give it a full lock to lock to get everything out, or is there a risk of damaging the pump?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Nope. Do full lock to lock. I did about 6-7 times each way. Make sure to clean out the resiviour too. All the crap gets stuck in the bottom of it.

Erm

Advanced Member
So just to clarify you only need 1 litre of power steering fluid to do a complete change?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
To answer your question and update on this yes one bottle (litre) is all I bought but didnt use it all.

For those who have "groaning" issues, my nasty noises turned out to be air in the system.

Few months ago i investigated the issue and even though I flushed the system etc and ensured all air was out it still managed to get in little by little.

I removed the top feed hose from the pump (10mm bolt in top of plastic clip) and found the little O ring underneath was split and allowing air to pass.

few pence O ring later no noise abd back to normal.

Erm

Advanced Member
Teegwa said:
To answer your question and update on this yes one bottle (litre) is all I bought but didnt use it all.

For those who have "groaning" issues, my nasty noises turned out to be air in the system.

Few months ago i investigated the issue and even though I flushed the system etc and ensured all air was out it still managed to get in little by little.

I removed the top feed hose from the pump (10mm bolt in top of plastic clip) and found the little O ring underneath was split and allowing air to pass.

few pence O ring later no noise abd back to normal.
I get a little groan on full lock only, was yours a constant thing or just on full lock?

Was hoping a change of the fluid would sort this out

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
The bolt that holds the top hose in had come off releasing all my fluid across the bay so ran dry for 2-3 miles.

when I replaced the bolt I mm ust have nipped the O ring.

My issue was constant from start up and angrier when load was applied. sone groaning at full locks MIGHT be normal but a fluid change shouldnt hurt.

Erm

Advanced Member
Teegwa said:
The bolt that holds the top hose in had come off releasing all my fluid across the bay so ran dry for 2-3 miles.

when I replaced the bolt I mm ust have nipped the O ring.

My issue was constant from start up and angrier when load was applied. sone groaning at full locks MIGHT be normal but a fluid change shouldnt hurt.
cheers, will just do the change and see how it goes.

have an almost full litre bottle just sitting here anyway (thats the reason I asked if 1 litre was enough) and the garage is quiet today so will just use the vacuum pump to suck the old lot out and replace with fresh fluid. Shouldn't take longer than a few mins doing it that way rather than the method in the video which seems far too involved for me lol. Changing the gearbox oil as well today so may as well do both.

molten-ice

Advanced Member
Same as Erm , i just used the oil sucker , sucked as much fluid out as i could, topped it up , ran it for a week then did it again , so almost a full change in fluid for not much effort.