How to...Disable the clutch in start

JezW

Advanced Member
Anyone know how to do this? I had a look yesterday and it wasn't obvious.

Thanks

172Ben

Advanced Member
dont you just need to connect it to a live feed? So it things is always open?

I cant remember :xyes:

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Pull the yellow plug out of the clutch and connect the 2 pins together with a makeshift wire.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
It stops idiots potentially stealing your car? For the half a second it takes to do it's a great feature for people who might want to try their luck but are thick as shit.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
its the for a reason, so you dont start the car in gear.

i have taken the handbrake off my car so i could put 4 pots all round, ive started it once whilst it was in gear and had to run down the road to stop it, if i had the clutch start i wouldnt of done it lol

wj51fut

Advanced Member
The amount of people that get in my car and can't start it because of this is ridiculous!!

It's a safety feature too. Can't start the car in gear with the clutch out so the car would jump forward.

Also a theft preventative.

And a wear and tear preventative. When the clutch isn't depressed on start up it puts a strain on the starter motor and flywheel. It also wears the clutch out quicker if not depressed.

Just a few reasons why Honda and now most companies are doing this.

Adam

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
While we're talking about clutches..

If I'm sitting at lights I've been told that never to keep the clutch fully pressed whilst waiting for the lights as it wears the 'clutch bearing'

Any truth to this?

Riz

Advanced Member
Think so. I find the clutch a bit heavy so it could knacker your leg as well.

JezW

Advanced Member
I'll still clutch in start most of the time, but occasionally I'd like to be able to start the car without getting in, eg. if I'm loading it up and want to start it warming up before I leave.

Riz

Advanced Member
LiamGTR said:
Sounds like somebody needs to do some leg days at the gym ;) haha only messing dude
Haha, I should MTFU and FEEL THE BURN!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
JezW said:
I'll still clutch in start most of the time, but occasionally I'd like to be able to start the car without getting in, eg. if I'm loading it up and want to start it warming up before I leave.
Then stand on one leg, balance, and turn the key with your foot on the clutch pedal. :p you have to open the door anyway, so standing on one legs not going to hurt. xthumbup

Like Gok said, its brilliant watching people try to start the car. haha bless em. At least with it connected, you can be assured that nobody can accidentally jolt it forward with it in gear and hit anything by mistake. ;)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
LiamGTR said:
While we're talking about clutches..

If I'm sitting at lights I've been told that never to keep the clutch fully pressed whilst waiting for the lights as it wears the 'clutch bearing'

Any truth to this?
Yes of course. Its because the release bearing is running against the clutch cover fingers pushing the clutch away from the flywheel. It simply wears the bearing out.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
And in my case where the car already came with the jumper wire, it will avoid you spending countless hours sometime in the future trying to figure out why your car won't start only to finally realise it was that stupid piece of wire playing up!

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
It's a great safety feature, not changing mine anytime.

Yes it's funny watching others trying to start without clutching LOL ;)

T.G.

JezW

Advanced Member
I leave the car in neutral and check it's in neutral before I start it, so don't see the need for this feature.

Maybe with older cars (or if it's very cold and your starter motor is struggling) you would disengage the gearbox prior to starting the engine to take some load off the starter motor. Wth modern cars I really don't think it's necessary...if the mechanical benefits were measurable then all manufacturers would install this feature.