How to - Fit Energy Suspension Engine Mount inserts

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
These are a really popular upgrade and make a really noticeable difference for not much money at all (sub £30 from Tegiwa). I used to fit a lot of these on DC2 and I fitted them to my DC5 today, really happy with them, they've stopped my exhaust hitting the bottom of the car and also made it much more responsive. The added engine vibes aren't too intrusive either.

Anyway these are a simply install and there is no reason that you can't do them yourself, so here is a quick guide. I did the front mount first, but whatever's easiest for you.

Firstly jack up your car under the front of the subframe;

Put some axle stands under the jacking points on the sills, and let the car down onto them.

There are three 17mm bolts holding the front mount to the engine, and one 17mm bolt through the centre holding it to the subframe. Remove all of these

Sorry the pictures aren't amazing but this bit is pretty self explanatory. The right combination of wiggling and swearing will get the mount out, then push in the poly inserts.

Now refit the mount back in, a bit of WD40 will help it slip back into place. Tighten all the bolts back up.

Onto the rear, there are three 14mm bolts going from the underneath of the subframe into the mount. These are underneath the exhaust manifold. There is also one 17mm bolt through the mount holding it to the subframe.

I don't know what the access is like with a standard manifold and cat, I suspect it is worse than an aftermarket decat. To get the 17mm bolt out I had to remove the bracket to the engine, so remove these two 17mm bolts.

Now remove the airbox and undo the top bracket bolt, and maneuver it out followed by the mount itself. Push the inserts in as before, and installation is the reverse of removal! Make sure all bolts are tight, refit your airbox and you're away.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Matt

paul 16v

Advanced Member
Very good guide.. just did mine this morning, as you said i bet it would be a difficult job if you were still using a standard manifold and cat!

redcap

Advanced Member
Can anyone confirm that

A. I don't need to support the engine and it won't move? if I remove/fit one insert at at time.
B. Where they are located in the engine bay? Is there just one to change that is under the air box?
C. 3 inserts are changed to the Energy Suspension Inserts? There are 4 in the kit?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I need an answer to A also

Answer B) you ahve to be under the car to get them. The front one is right at the front of the car. If you go under the front bumper and behind the badiator its right there at the bottom. The rear one again under the car beside the exhaust manifold.

C. One insert for each side of the mounts

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
This guide was really helpful for me this weekend. Thankyou. However no amount of bitching and swearing and wiggling could get that poxy front mount out lol. Think its because my feels rad is thicker than stock. I took out the battery tray and my fan shroud which was literally two bolts, that gave me penty of room to get it out.

Cheers Matt, great help

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
Glad it's helping people :)

Just to be clear you do not need to support the engine, the mounts on the cam chain side and gearbox side are fine to support it

Matt

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Matt, i tried to do this yesterday and managed to get the front mount out but couldnt get it back in with the inserts fitted, in the end i had to just put it all back together to get to work today. Any tips on getting it back in apart from WD40?

It's the fan and that stupid little bracket for some cable thats stopping me. I'm thinking to remove either the bracket or the fan to make some room?

Alex.J

Advanced Member
You will probably need to jack the engine up to align the bolts at some point, it does move slightly and can casue bolt alignment issues and the people have mentioned above, it can be a faff..

I recently replaced all my engine mounts for innovative mounts.. started at 09;00 and was done by 12:00 and had eaten too..

Thanks

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Thats fine if i have issues aligning the bolts I will jack the engine up, its just getting the mount back in after the inserts are in place, without them i can get it back in no problem, I'll probably just remove the fan unless someone has any other tips.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
There is enough space but it is tight. I fitted some last weekend. To make it easier you can unclip the charge harness loom from the bracket above the mount, you can then temporarily bend the tab upwards to give you more than enough clearance, just bend it back when ou;re done and clip the harness on. The rears were a little tight last time but did go in with enough force. Even with the standard cat in place on this one I did you could still get the long bolt out with a bit of wiggling of that bracket, and get the actual mount out through the top following the same path as the shifter cables (a friend to help you do this is essential)

HTH

Matt

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Thats what i meant when i said bracket, i did exactly that, unclipped the harness and pushed it out the way then bent the tab up out the way but still not enough room to get the mount back in! Im either being a massive wussy, missing something, or something is different on my car causing this problem.

On the rear i have a Tegiwa mani so access should be OK as per your guide, I'll just have to have another try next weekend, thanks for the help though.

Liam

Advanced Member
WD40 on the surface of the inserts, copper grease on the surfaces it's sliding into, and a lot of perseverance should see you right.

As said, getting the long bolt out of the rear one with the CAT in place is a total swine.

Alex.J

Advanced Member
Don't remove the centre bolt till the bracket as a whole is off on the rear, loosen yes, but don't remove!

I undid the 2 on the gearbox, one at the top and the 3 ones on the mount then removed the whole section through the bottom of the car! And that's with a standard manifold, took me 20 mins!

Then rebuilt it off the and placed it back up through the bottom!

The rear one is the easiest just an awkward place!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I managed to get this done yesterday, the rear was definitely easier than the front, for the front I loosened the charge cable bracket so I could get it right out the way, then it wasn't that bad going back in. For the rear I did as Alex.J and took it off along with the bracket in one piece, rebuilt it off the car with the inserts and slotted it back in.

BUT unfortunately when putting the rear back in I caught the bracket on the VSS and snapped it, so have to order another one, thanks for all the advice though guys!