How To....Replace Cam Cover

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Tools needed...10mm socket,short extension bar, ratchet handle, long flat blade screwdriver,pair of pliers
and about an hour of your time...
First job,put bonnet on highest opening hole..makes it much easier to see what you`re doing!

Using 10mm socket,take off the 4 plug cover dome nuts and remove cover
Loosen off all dome nuts holding cam cover in place..there are 6 of them,3 at the front,1 to the left of the plug cover and 2 at the back..

Next,using the 10mm socket,remove the aircon hose bracket from the back left of the cam cover

Using the 10mm socket carefully remove the 4 brass bolts holding the coil packs in place

...and gently pull all 4 coil packs just out of their sockets...this makes it a bit easier to remove the connecters

Now remove connecters..

I thought it easier to number the coil packs so they would go back in the same place...I used the corner of the flat blade screwdriver to gently mark them....

Now remove coil packs.....then using the flat blade screwdriver,gently prise the 6 rubberized washers up and remove.

Using your pliers,squeeze the clip around the breather hose to the right of the cam cover and remove...

Remove dipstick and oilcap and gently push coil pack connecters towards the back of the cam cover.

Now heres the part you`ve all been waiting for!! Using the flat blade screwdriver,ease the cam cover off the top of the engine...do this in 2 or 3 places as gently as you can so that the rubber seal is not damaged.The cover should come off quite easily without too much persuading.

Ease the cover off the top of the engine...it will need to twisted and turned a bit to get around the aircon pipe...First and worst part over!!

Next job turn the cam cover over and using the flat blade driver again,VERY GENTLY prise the cam cover seal out of its groove and GENTLY remove using your fingers..this will save wasting money buying a new seal.

Carefully dry the seal with a rag or kitchen towel and put it into the new cam cover following the same contours as the old cover..it should be a perfect fit xthumbup

Dry off any excess oil on the top of the engine block where the cam cover seal will sit and carefully replace the cam cover.

Replace all rubberized washers....

...and put the domed nuts back on....

Tighten these nuts carefully,dont force them,they only need to be hand tight using the 10 mm socket...tighten them as you would if replacing a wheel ie opposing nuts in a circular manner.Dont forget the nuts at the rear!!

Replace breather hose...

Replace coil packs..

Connect them up...

Now replace coil pack bolts and aircon hose clip.I found it easier to put a drop or two of light oil on bolt threads to ease them in as there were slight traces of paint in the thread holes...

Finally,replace plug cover,oil cap and dipstick...

JOB DONE :xvtec: ........................dont forget to check seal for any minor leaks and GENTLY re-tighten!

kingston

Advanced Member
Not to get you worried or anything but the OEM manual states that you should use sealant in the corner.

So, youd also need to clean out the channel the seal fits into to

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Good right up, but as Kingston says you really need to use a bit of HondaBond when refitting too

Linus27

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Good right up, but as Kingston says you really need to use a bit of HondaBond when refitting too
What's this Hondabond, where can I get it and where does it go?

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Yes, I know that the manual says to use hondabond but I've done 3 of these covers and had no leaks at all

DC5DAVE

Should never need to use Hondabond or any sealant, surfaces clean, a smear of high temp grease, torque it down evenly and it will never leak. Have changed loads of them.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
DC5DAVE said:
Should never need to use Hondabond or any sealant, surfaces clean, a smear of high temp grease, torque it down evenly and it will never leak. Have changed loads of them.
Yep. I have taken mine off numerous times with no oil leak issues. Just make sure the seal is good. If not buy a new one. Good write up though. 👍

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
I have just had to replace mine using hondabond this time as it leaked when not using it. Highly recommend using hondabond

donzooo

Advanced Member
Maybe before attempting the job have a new seal ready just in case to prevent having to wait a few days incase yours turns out to be knackered. Always best to be safe.

Alex.J

Advanced Member
I would never re-use a seal! For the cost of a seal while it's out, get a new one in!!

I also use hondabond in the corner too!