How to settle the rear more?

rick c

Advanced Member
Just out of curiosity really... how would you induce a little more understeer by altering tyre pressures?

I usually have 36psi all round... if I lowered the rears to 30psi would that do the trick?

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
36psi, I'd say that was the problem right there, try 31 in the fronts and 30 in the rears...

oregato

Advanced Member
as above, i think 36 would be too high, i normally keept it universal at 30 all around.

rick c

Advanced Member
Sorry I must have got my wires crossed... I'm sure I use 30psi all round. So would using say 26psi in the back settle the rear more?

celox performance

Advanced Member
Yes if you lower the rear pressure then you will get more grip at rear end. If you have 30psi all round now then you can try lowering to say 27psi on the rear. If you have 36psi all round :eek: then you should lower the fronts to 30-31psi and try lowering the rears to 27-28psi. If that doesn't help then a sticky pair of rear tyres would benefit :wink:

George K

Advanced Member
I had exactly this problem on two types of road tyre, and spent a morning at a test circuit to try to get to grips with it.

The main conclusion was that it only happens on cold tyres -(which as I do hill climbing is critical); running the rears very soft (26) helped a bit.

Looking at the detailed specs, the rear has sharply rising rate springs and harsh damping - going to a bespoke coil over set up cured it 90%.

The only other options are to try more rear toe-in, different springs or Koni do an adjustable rear damper for the standard set up.

rick c

Advanced Member
George K said:
I had exactly this problem on two types of road tyre, and spent a morning at a test circuit to try to get to grips with it.

The main conclusion was that it only happens on cold tyres -(which as I do hill climbing is critical); running the rears very soft (26) helped a bit.

Looking at the detailed specs, the rear has sharply rising rate springs and harsh damping - going to a bespoke coil over set up cured it 90%.

The only other options are to try more rear toe-in, different springs or Koni do an adjustable rear damper for the standard set up.
To be honest I haven't found it to be a massive problem but I have noticed on occasion the back letting go even on a trailing throttle, which I'm just not used to. Don't think my tyres were 'cold' but maybe not optimum. I don't really want to go changing the suspension setup, so something simple like tyre pressures would suit me better.