How to treat new paint....?

Stylesa

Advanced Member
My car is booked in to get the front bumper sprayed next week. The scattered stone chips have finally worn me down! Just wondering what im best to do in terms of treating it after i get it back.....

From what i've already read there are toxins that release from the paint in the first couple of weeks so i shouldnt be sealing it in any way.....

Anything else anyone can add so i can treat it properly?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
My car is booked in to get the front bumper sprayed next week. The scattered stone chips have finally worn me down! Just wondering what im best to do in terms of treating it after i get it back.....

From what i've already read there are toxins that release from the paint in the first couple of weeks so i shouldnt be sealing it in any way.....

Anything else anyone can add so i can treat it properly?
Ultimate wash and wax mate, thats what I use. I wouldn't wax it for a week or two, then you should be able to use some Meguiars Wax a couple of weeks later.

Thats what I did with my paint job from TGM.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Yeh thats what i thought, just wondered if someone had some kind of super sneeky amazing product that they were going to tell me to use, that is specifically for new paint.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Well the Meguiars Detailing Guide states the Following:

Which Meguiar's products are safe for use on fresh paint?
Aftermarket/refinish paint jobs continue to cure for two to three months after being sprayed onto the finish. This is because solvents and other volatile paint components are still evaporating out of the paint. However, you can safely use many of Meguiar's washes and polishes during this curing period on fresh paint without fear of causing any damage. Many of Meguiars polishes are wax and silicone free, and will not seal the surface of the finish. This means the paint can continue to properly cure throughout the recommended curing period.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Thanks ian. that was what i've already read, and in addition i read that you shouldnt use a pressure washer (not that i do anyway) and/or water that is too warm.

So wash and polish is fine, but no wax/sealant!

Im hoping that they do a good job, a newly sprayed front bumper will make a massive difference i think!

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Update on this. i asked the paint shop guys about this... they disagreed with a blank look on their face.... they said that their paint jobs are fully cured before they leave.... Said i would have no problem waxing the car the day after i get it back.... (im collecting it today)

Since i am not an expert on this, who am i to question what they say....? Anyone got anything to contradict what they say or do i trust their experience?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Update on this. i asked the paint shop guys about this... they disagreed with a blank look on their face.... they said that their paint jobs are fully cured before they leave.... Said i would have no problem waxing the car the day after i get it back.... (im collecting it today)

Since i am not an expert on this, who am i to question what they say....? Anyone got anything to contradict what they say or do i trust their experience?
Well, they do cure the paint before you pick it up, they 'Bake' it so to speak, but even then it still takes a while for the paint to fully cure. I left mine as it was for a few weeks before putting wax on. To be honest, Wax or no Wax, you will be fine after a week or two. You can use Polish by the way anyway.