I dont think I can take any more - car jerky, revs dying, hunting etc...

RunsWithScissors

A long story as short as I can....

Car needed a new clutch, got a mechanic mate of mine to fit me one and he did a good job, clutch is now fine and no more stiff gears. But on way home CEL came on, so when I got home I bridged pins 4 and 9 of the diagnostic port and it read code 23, knock sensor.

Ended up having to buy a new one as he must have cought it when re-fitting the inlet manifold brackets. So I bought a new one from Tegiwa it came next day and and I set about fitting it. Id never removed inlet before and it took me about 3 hours to get the job done.

The car was also hunting a bit when it had been thrashed so whilst all this was off I took the IACV off the TB and gave it a good clean up with some brake cleaner.

Put is all back together again, no CEL but it was hunting even worse...

Turns out id nicked one of the injector o-rings re-fitting back into the IM and it was causing a vac leak. Whilst I was inspecting this damaged O-ring just out of curiosity I pulled another injector and realised they are supposed to have another seal on the end along with a plastic end cap? Unfortunately on said damaged injector this part was still stuck in the Inlet Manifold, I tried as carefully as I could with the limited tools as I had at the time to carefully pull it back out of the hole....

And successfully managed to shove it back into the port.

Inlet manifold off again, retreieved said part and also fitted some instant gasket onto the TB and did away with the knackered old gasket (which I had suspicions was leaky too).

Fortunately my mate who has a supercharged EP3 had some spare K20A2 injectors so I fitted one of those, im presuming they are the same 310cc ones in mine??

Car back together, and it threw another CEL - One long one which I presumed was 10? So I checked this, IAT, it was plugged back in though? So I cleared the code with the 15A hazard fuse in under bonnet fuse box and the code went! WHOO. Finally fixed....

But... went to work this morning, everything ok, i waited the few miles it takes to warm it up tried Vtec and just about everything goes wrong. The needle jumps about, drops out of vtec, power gets cut alltogether, then it kicks back in, then dies, then no vtec, then vtec, both needles are all over the place AAARRRGH!

It seems like the vehicle speed sensor issue I got after I drove my DC2 through a puddle? But this time no VSS has been touched and no puddles driven through.

AND THE CAR IS STILL HUNTING!!

Im sick to death of this stupid car....

Any ideas?
(Sorry for the essay)

Ash

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Just picking up on two things you mentioned I'd say you need to buy a proper tb gasket rather than using instant gasket. If you get a thermal one it should last you the lifetime of the car, speak to eightspeed.

Secondly you say you cleaned the iacv but did you strip it all the way down including removal of the two weird screws? If you strip it all the way down you can then get it spinning freely and be sure it's not that. When you spin it by hand 360 degrees there should be no resistance. Iacv can be very temperamental and it only takes the car being sat up with inlet open in damp conditions for it to stick.

Lastly I'm not sure if injectors are different, probably not but if it was me I'd be ordering all new o rings and putting my own back in for piece of mind. They are the simple things to try first. Sounds as though there could be more to it than that but one thing at a time

RunsWithScissors

I have been looking at the hondata gaskets, ill get one of those sorted.

Yes - I cleaned the IACV properly, I ended up having to cut two flats into the screw heads to get them out to split the sensor part from the body of the IACV. I cleaned inside with petrol and then brake cleaner and a little brush thoroughly and got it to spin freely. Then I WD40'd it up, dried the excess. then refitted.

Only problem with the injector is can you get those plastic end caps from Honda without them charging me like £300 for a whole new injector? They didnt seem like they were removeable from the other 3 "good" injectors?

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
Just to check a couple of issues mate:

1. Check the wiring to the VSS, it is unplugged when the box comes out so make sure all the connections to your speedo converter are OK.
2. Check the earthing strap that runs from the injector loom to the inlet manifold. If this is loose it will cause all sorts of issues. Do you have an RBC or standard inlet manifold on the car?
3. As David mentioned, don't use liquid gasket on the inlet, a new gasket it buttons from the dealer or you could try a thermal one.

The car dying, not VTEC-ing and needles jumping about sounds like a main earth issue, Check all earth straps are secure. There is one from the loom under the battery that bolts to a little bracket on the front of the gearbox, check this too,

Stevie

Torque-GT

As Stevie says - I've seen dodgy speedo converters do similar - definitely check the wiring if this has been disturbed when changing the box

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
I was very close to buying the one you bought. Someone called kenny was selling it yes? Real shame mate. Hope it all gets sorted dont give up on it! :). Im sure he said it was parked up for a while so just try a good full service and wear and tear checks... Good luck

paul 16v

Advanced Member
Sounds like you've just been unlucky mate.. Ive had 2 dc5's and neither have been any bother at all.. i owned my white 3 years and 36k only fault it ever had was primary 02 sensor. And touch wood the black one i have now has been spot on too.

Once you get the problems sorted you will love the car.

RunsWithScissors

Stevie, thanks for your reply mate that was very helpful, im currently at work so ill check those afterwards.

Ive had the car a while now, I knew the clutch needed doing when I bought it, this was factored into the price, ive got round to doing it though and its created no end of problems!!
It just seems to be a knock on effect - fix one create another or add to the existing one!

Im not new to fast Hondas either, ive had my fair share haha, just this one seems to want to beat me. :xangry:

I dont usually post on forums because nowadays there is always someone who has had your problem if you search hard enough.
Its just this time ive almost reached my wits end...

davidpingu

Advanced Member
If it's a damaged injector then probably not, I thought the o rings were replaceable on their own though. No biggy if not. You have spares now anyway. Sometimes an iacv will just give up from what I've heard. I get a very similar thing with mine now and again where if I take it for a spirited drive the idle starts hunting. It eventually sorts itself out again so I've left it but I'm waiting for it to get to a point where I may just have to replace it all together.

As said, don't give up, most will tell you I've had more problems than the rest of the owners put together I think but get through it and the car will reward you for your patience ;)

RunsWithScissors

Davidpingu - Yeah the O rings are replaceable, they will be pence, the problem is there are two seals on the injector. An O ring on the main body, and a further one on what at first inspection seems to be a removeable end cap or shroud of some description on the end of the injector where the spray holes are.

This whole shroud had come off the end of the injector body completely and stayed inside the injector hole, within the IM. Then when I tried to get it out - it fell in.

Your idle sounds like mine did, cleaning up the IACV seemed to worsen things though, and my problems have spiralled from there :(

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
RunsWithScissors said:
Just to note, Stevie you were right mate, lose earth wire from my injector loom to the head. Thanks buddy!
Nice one mate, glad that helped.

Car all running right now pal?

Stevie

RunsWithScissors

Yep cheers fellas, it wasnt the fact it broke once, it was the continual cycle of problem after problem...
Id put the earth back on but not properly tightened the nut and the revs went nuts when it came to a point where it wasnt connected!

Thanks again fellas :xgrin: