I want to cry.... (now the stonechip repair thread)

Erm

Advanced Member
First stone chip after getting the car resprayed..... Two giant chunks of paint taken off my drivers side wing mirror :xcry: :xcry: :xcry:

I hate our shit roads...

and before anyone says it I was miles behind the car in front

Have to speak to the bodyshop to see if they've got any paint left over to respray the wing mirror again :xcry: and the ironic thing is that despite them previously having about 50 stone chips they were tiny and not anywhere near as noticeable as these 2

dave c

400hp K20
Erm said:
First stone chip after getting the car resprayed..... Two giant chunks of paint taken off my drivers side wing mirror :xcry: :xcry: :xcry:

I hate our shit roads...

and before anyone says it I was miles behind the car in front

Have to speak to the bodyshop to see if they've got any paint left over to respray the wing mirror again :xcry: and the ironic thing is that despite them previously having about 50 stone chips they were tiny and not anywhere near as noticeable as these 2
that sir.... is the law of sod :(

davidpingu

Advanced Member
This is what puts me off spending too much on paint in the pursuit of perfection because realistically with the car being driven it won't be long before it gets imperfections again.
Will still get it done in time but in my case I think it's a good example of why not to spend out on this first as the money will never go on the rest of the car. Will just continually be spending out on getting panels resprayed etc!

For the above mentioned reasons I'd resist spending out on it again just yet but just my thoughts

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I have got a bit of a small scratch on my rear bumper after it being sprayed

Got to take the hit eventually, its going to get some marks.

Erm

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
This is what puts me off spending too much on paint in the pursuit of perfection because realistically with the car being driven it won't be long before it gets imperfections again.
Will still get it done in time but in my case I think it's a good example of why not to spend out on this first as the money will never go on the rest of the car. Will just continually be spending out on getting panels resprayed etc!

For the above mentioned reasons I'd resist spending out on it again just yet but just my thoughts
Yeah but its horrid I can't live with these 2 huge chips :(

Seriously tempted to plastidip my car to protect the paintwork could then change the colour whenever I wanted

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Seriously know what you mean, last December i dropped a chunk of money at TGM and had the entire kit resprayed and I was so happy with it. My plan was to use that clear plastic film to protect the most stone chip prone areas once done, but alas excrement weather and conflicting plans meant I never got the chance. By the time the weather got good enough the front bumper was already covered in chips again, I spent three nights solid last week filling those chips then wet sanding and buffing back to a shine. Its by no means perfect but a thousand times better than it was, now I just need to find the opportunity to protect it with the film along with other prone areas.

I learnt to do this on my DC2's bonnet who's paint was so bad I had nothing to loose if I made it worse, thankfully though after a few attempts it went front stone chip heaven to practically brand new bonnet. There are plenty of guides on detailing world on how to do this depending on the size and type of damage but it can be a long and painful process that you would only do as a labour of love and to save money.

Here are some pics of my wing mirrors after my own chip repair...

Before:

After:

In reality though we all have to accept that if we want to really enjoy these cars we have to put up with the wear and tear, plasti-dip, wraps and that clear protective film are the only realistic options to "help" prevent the damage.

Totally feel for you though, the cost of a respray is no laughing matter.

Edit, let me know if you want me to post up some links to chip and pinhole repair guides :)

Erm

Advanced Member
I wish my chips were that small.... Just gone and took a pic....

Beware.... It HURTS to look at them... Ignore the rain drops, typical of my luck today it rained after I washed it despite rain not being forecast!

*sigh*

maxvr6

Advanced Member
The wing mirrors i repaired were only pinhole chips, which are very easy to repair, ones like yours a bit harder but still achievable as ive repaired plenty like that all over my DC5's front bumper, I know nobody is asking but maybe this will inspire and make you feel a bit better about attempting repair yourself...

I don't have a before picture but imagine chips like that all over my front bumper which now looks like this after the repair...

Yeah boy!

Erm

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
The wing mirrors i repaired were only pinhole chips, which are very easy to repair, ones like yours a bit harder but still achievable as ive repaired plenty like that all over my DC5's front bumper, I know nobody is asking but maybe this will inspire and make you feel a bit better about attempting repair yourself...

I don't have a before picture but imagine chips like that all over my front bumper which now looks like this after the repair...

Yeah boy!
Looks good mate... Will pass by the bodyshop in the morning and see if they've got the paint still and take it from there

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
This is exactly why I'm not replacing/repairing my front bumper or skirts until after winter.

dave7368

Advanced Member
Erm said:
I wish my chips were that small.... Just gone and took a pic....

Beware.... It HURTS to look at them... Ignore the rain drops, typical of my luck today it rained after I washed it despite rain not being forecast!

*sigh*
geezzz you sound suicidal ! hope there's no rope or sharp objects nearby...

Altecians

Advanced Member
I just had mine resprayed because it was Pink and I wanted a red car.

Cars are cars, they are goina get driven and they are goina get stone chips, doesnt bother me in the slightest.
If it gets babyd around and your goina get upset about it then its a waste of a car!

2 cents anyway.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Glad Davidpingu said it first, but this also the reason I keep putting off getting my bumper done.
My car is used on track and I can generally count all the extra stone chips from a track day. It's annoying but the car is there to be used.

If I got it sprayed I'd use it even less than I do now.

Really annoying about. 2 chips though, are quite big too. Can't imagine it will cost much to fix those.

Erm

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
geezzz you sound suicidal ! hope there's no rope or sharp objects nearby...
just the 30" blade of a sword here.... nothing to worry about...

Erm

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Glad Davidpingu said it first, but this also the reason I keep putting off getting my bumper done.
My car is used on track and I can generally count all the extra stone chips from a track day. It's annoying but the car is there to be used.

If I got it sprayed I'd use it even less than I do now.

Really annoying about. 2 chips though, are quite big too. Can't imagine it will cost much to fix those.
It had to be sprayed though as stone chips on the metal panels will go rusty eventually if you leave them for too long despite what you try to wax/seal them with and as i'm planning on keeping the car until it can't be saved anymore it was due a respray. I know it'll get stone chips as its my daily driver, just heart breaking for the first 2 I got being that big and that noticeable from distance as well.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
I think how Max did was a cheaper alternative than taking to a bodyshop as they count it as per panel prices which is around £130-150 depending where and which bodyshop you use.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
I think how Max did was a cheaper alternative than taking to a bodyshop as they count it as per panel prices which is around £130-150 depending where and which bodyshop you use.
Its very cheap indeed, just costs a lot of your own time, once you have all the bits needed (clay bar, 50/50 base and clearcoat paint mix, wet and dry paper, toothpicks, surface cleanser, DA polisher with cutting pad, compound, plus some skill, a little £10 pot of paint is just enough to repair the chips on an entire car which is pretty much what i have done. Once you're skilled enough you're just repairing the odd chip here and there. Total cost of maintaining all your chips including the initial outlay for the first year is approx £200 :)

DC5RS

DC5
You can buy a stone chip repair kit with the correct paint code like i did, they do the job pretty well and hide that damage

Erm

Advanced Member
Picked up a bit of paint from the bodyshop and giving it a go myself to see how it comes out... I've already got a dual action polisher and everything else I need.... have started with a small amount of paint applied very carefully to mask the white... this is how it looks after stage 1

At least doesn't stand out a mile away from the car now. Will apply another small coverage of paint two more times and once they are dry then clear coat over the top to sit slightly proud of the chip then a little wet rub down with some 2000 grit and polish with the dual action polisher and some v34/v36/v38 and see what the end result is before getting the whole thing resprayed again. I reckon the top one will come out better than the bottom one which has odd angles that catch the light a bit more

Although a respray is still odds on favourite lol