I want to Supercharge my DC5, advice needed please

conoroneill

Advanced Member
In my opinion the DC5 shouldn't have forced induction - full stop.

It's not what the car was designed for.

There is a naturally aspirated power threshold (between 250-270BHP) where the maximum potential of the car is realised and yet the handling is still limber.

By going further than this with the use of forced induction you'll have an car that not only handles like a badger, but one that is slowly self destructing by putting strain on engine internals, clutch / transmission and brakes.

The DC5 is all about finesse, agility and top end power.

Don't turn it into a scud missile.

If it's big power you want and you've got the money to do it (and you obviously have seeing as you are prepared to spend thousands on modding your DC5) just get it over with and buy an Evo. :idea:

LIKE I DID

JDC5

Charged DC5
dnt want to start an arguement here.. but..

if having 250-270 bhp via N/A.. wouldnt that be similiar to 250-270 bhp via F/I.. i mean.. you get similiar power, its what you like..

I mean.. you could say all cars are made N/A to begin with, but if you was to build the engine up to withstand the bhp/torque you put in to it, surely it shouldnt be a problem..

@MJ Type-R.. thanks for the advice!! i will be sticking to that, cheers!

@conoroneill... so i take it you got an Evo now? cool, any info..?

JD

Evs

Advanced Member
Agree totally with Conor & Simon xthumbup

Mike is doing his best to offer sensible advice based on his own (expensive) experience of this issue, having seen the results close up. This advice is worth listening to imho :idea:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:

if having 250-270 bhp via N/A.. wouldnt that be similiar to 250-270 bhp via F/I.. i mean.. you get similiar power, its what you like..
In a word, no. Completely different power curves and power delivery characteristics, which affects if and when and how you get the power down on the road.

JDC5 said:
I mean.. you could say all cars are made N/A to begin with, but if you was to build the engine up to withstand the bhp/torque you put in to it, surely it shouldnt be a problem..
The engine is engineered from day 1 with whatever means of induction in mind. A Mivec engine is a completely different animal from a VTEC engine for instance.

JDC5 said:
Not quite yet mate. It'll be here in December. An IX GT:

By conoroneill at 2007-11-08

I'm not slating the DC5 mate. Not at all. I loved my DC5.

I'm just questioning why you're aspiring to convert your DC5 into a different breed of car. It's almost like a bantamweight eating as much as he can so he can become a heavyweight and then when he finally gets there he suffers from long term health problems :lol:

You could buy a car that has the chassis, transmission and engine equipped to handle proper levels of forced induction as standard rather than coerce an already great engine into having to cope with levels of compression that it just wasn't designed to handle.

Enjoy the DC5 for what it is. The Best FF N/A car in the world. :D

benny

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
JDC5 said:

In a word, no. Completely different power curves and power delivery characteristics, which affects if and when and how you get the power down on the road.

JDC5 said:
The engine is engineered from day 1 with whatever means of induction in mind. A Mivec engine is a completely different animal from a VTEC engine for instance.

JDC5 said:

I'm not slating the DC5 mate. Not at all. I loved my DC5.

I'm just questioning why you're aspiring to convert your DC5 into a different breed of car. It's almost like a bantamweight eating as much as he can so he can become a heavyweight and then when he finally gets there he suffers from long term health problems :lol:

You could buy a car that has the chassis, transmission and engine equipped to handle proper levels of forced induction as standard rather than coerce an already great engine into having to cope with levels of compression that it just wasn't designed to handle.

Enjoy the DC5 for what it is. The Best FF N/A car in the world. :D
THIS IS ALL WELL AND GOOD BUT AN EVO WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS DC5 OR LOOK THE PART LIKE A DC5 DOES WE GOT THE BEST CAR, WHY NOT MAKE IT BETTER FORGET BUYIN SOMETHING ELSE!!! EVOS! A 4 DOOR FMALIY CAR WITH A BIG TURBO! OR A ULTRA COOL SPORTS COUPE THAT CAN BE MADE INTO A MONSTER! GIVE ME A TEG ANYTIME!

sinbad

Advanced Member
Just a quick question on this then, what are your thoughts on the conversions by Toyota on the 1.8 VVTi sport engine (corrola Supressor) and the fact that lotus use the same engine in the elise/exige s. Also Atom use the supercharger on the CTR K20, surely this goes to show that if its done in the correct manner it can work?

Project

Advanced Member
I dont think that their saying it wont work or be any fun, I think their just saying that the DC5 was meant to stay NA for life, and that if your going to add a supercharger to it then you bought the car for the wrong reasons.
Just look at how much it costs in servicing and maintaining a FI car compared to a NA one, they have all been fitted correctly and working perfectly to expectations but that doesnt mean that it still wont reduce the life of the cars internals, if you have an EVO and service it the way you service a DC5 the DC5 will be running a hell of a lot longer than the EVO will.
At the end of the day were all different, if you love the looks of the DC5 but not happy with the power what can you do, live with it and shut up or do something about it, but if your only adding FI because you cant afford a car that comes with one then your just being stupid.

JT3173

Advanced Member
Guys,

Hold my hands up, some good points there and only today on a quick run to the shops I thought to myself how much I would miss VTEC.

I will definatly consider the points raised, the extra servicing being the main one as I am 600 miles from anyone that knows a DC5.

Given that I am looking at waving good bye to HM Forces in the next two years I could do with saving some money, money that I would probably have to spend on the Teg if I went FI!

Cheers, keep it in mind :D

Stevieg

Advanced Member
benny said:
THIS IS ALL WELL AND GOOD BUT AN EVO WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS DC5 OR LOOK THE PART LIKE A DC5 DOES WE GOT THE BEST CAR, WHY NOT MAKE IT BETTER FORGET BUYIN SOMETHING ELSE!!! EVOS! A 4 DOOR FMALIY CAR WITH A BIG TURBO! OR A ULTRA COOL SPORTS COUPE THAT CAN BE MADE INTO A MONSTER! GIVE ME A TEG ANYTIME!
:lol: :roll:

Hmm delusion. You sound like one of those contestants off pop idol that think they are great and yet they have no idea of reality...

MrHanky

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:

Very nice Evo by the way (love them in white). Is the GT version the one without the AYC? Just wondering as they are supposed to be a bit more fun because of this.

Mark

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Thanks mate. Yeah it's the GT version, which doesn't have AYC.

AYC was the thing that put me off buying an Evo in the first place so this is the ideal model. It's basically the same as the stripped out rally RS version but it's got A/C and comfy Recaros.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
Thanks mate. Yeah it's the GT version, which doesn't have AYC.

AYC was the thing that put me off buying an Evo in the first place so this is the ideal model. It's basically the same as the stripped out rally RS version but it's got A/C and comfy Recaros.
:) mmm comfy Recaro's. This would be my ideal next car I think, but I will have to wait a few years. Especially seeing as I haven't officially move to the DC5 yet :)

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Been lurking, and thought I'd clear up some of the points made in this thread to date.

The K20A has a smaller crank pulley than the K20A2, & the JRSC race kit still only has a 4" SC pulley so only really gives ~5psi on a DC5. The Jackson SC pulley upgrade to a 3.4" pulley gives around 6psi.

MJ does have first hand experience of some problems, but I thought that was running 7.5psi of boost (3" SC pulley :?: ). At this level, the supercharger itself will start to generates more heat than boost hence engine wear issues. Other engine longevity issues come down to how it is mapped. An AFR of mid to high 11's should do just fine. :D

I have happilly run with the 3.4" pulley for 10 months, and have had 1 belt issue due to the install, but apart from that have enjoyed the extra power. :evil: :D

The DC5 more than copes with the extra power as it is still delivered in a nice linear fashion (no lag like a big turbo, and no real off/on boost mid corner issues!!). In the dry Ican put the power down in all gears, and in the wet (which is a lot down here), it can be a challenge in 1st, 2nd almost manages full throttle and there are no issues from 3rd gear on.

Running costs :
Averaging 28MPG
An extra £70 on insurance
Servicing the same as normal

All things said and done, I am happy with mine as are the other guys here and on CRSX with the SC, but I understand it isn't everyones cup of tea. If you can get a shot in one, it might make your mind up for you!! :wink:

benny

Advanced Member
Stevieg said:
benny said:

Hmm delusion. You sound like one of those contestants off pop idol that think they are great and yet they have no idea of reality...
nope not at all! a dc5 is a better than an evo, of course imho but still very few evos can get past a kpro'd teg (non round ere anyhoo)
take them for what they are... evo 4 wheel drive, turbo lots of power bags of torque, dc5 f/w drive n/a stick them on a track and not alot of difference?
the teg just looks so much better
oh and i know i cant sing! lol

Stevieg

Advanced Member
benny said:
Stevieg said:
benny said:

nope not at all! a dc5 is a better than an evo, of course imho but still very few evos can get past a kpro'd teg (non round ere anyhoo)
take them for what they are... evo 4 wheel drive, turbo lots of power bags of torque, dc5 f/w drive n/a stick them on a track and not alot of difference?
Well I had both so....

The Teg is a great car but the Evo is in a different league I'm afraid - try owning both and then comment :wink: I agree on the looks though - the Teg is a lot nicer! 8)

Wootty

Advanced Member
AndyBITR said:
Been lurking, and thought I'd clear up some of the points made in this thread to date.

The K20A has a smaller crank pulley than the K20A2, & the JRSC race kit still only has a 4" SC pulley so only really gives ~5psi on a DC5. The Jackson SC pulley upgrade to a 3.4" pulley gives around 6psi.

MJ does have first hand experience of some problems, but I thought that was running 7.5psi of boost (3" SC pulley :?: ). At this level, the supercharger itself will start to generates more heat than boost hence engine wear issues. Other engine longevity issues come down to how it is mapped. An AFR of mid to high 11's should do just fine. :D

I have happilly run with the 3.4" pulley for 10 months, and have had 1 belt issue due to the install, but apart from that have enjoyed the extra power. :evil: :D

The DC5 more than copes with the extra power as it is still delivered in a nice linear fashion (no lag like a big turbo, and no real off/on boost mid corner issues!!). In the dry Ican put the power down in all gears, and in the wet (which is a lot down here), it can be a challenge in 1st, 2nd almost manages full throttle and there are no issues from 3rd gear on.

Running costs :
Averaging 28MPG
An extra £70 on insurance
Servicing the same as normal

All things said and done, I am happy with mine as are the other guys here and on CRSX with the SC, but I understand it isn't everyones cup of tea. If you can get a shot in one, it might make your mind up for you!! :wink:
I agree with you there Andy. The only issues I ever had with mine was the Jackson adaptor parts themselves, the charger and effects on the cars internals were never a problem. Running the low bost pulley at ~6psi (according to Guy whilst tuning) I never had engine issues in the 2 years of having it. Perhaps the new owner will?? I had the tensioner pulley fail twice and the alternator brackets fail. This is due to the high loads from the high tension you need to keep on the belt to stop it slipping on the charger pulley. I used to run it slightly slack but use a belt dressing - but this can cause an irritating squeek when cold.

Power curves are in the gallery if you want to see before and after. It suited my driving style of a more relaxed power delivery. You get the DC5s handling with a smoother and higher power band xthumbup

Would I do it again? Probably not. A std tegg with better breathing/zorst/Kpro and brake upgrades I would probably drive as fast on the UK roads round my way as one with with a S/C. But thats just my 2p's worth.

Sarios2

Do you have to modify any parts of the JRSC for the JDM DC5 if you buy the US kit for the Acura RSX?

fonz600

Advanced Member
Stevieg said:
benny said:
Stevieg said:
benny said:

Well I had both so....

The Teg is a great car but the Evo is in a different league I'm afraid - try owning both and then comment :wink: I agree on the looks though - the Teg is a lot nicer! 8)
I've owned both and would disagree in them being leagues apart. When I first got my Evo, I expected a massive difference in performance but was sorely disappointed as it didn't feel any quicker than my old teg ( JT has it now :wink: ) It wasn't until I upped the power to 370BHP I started to think, yeah this is getting there but in the end I found the teg to be a better handling car and reckon if I took my old DC5 with 243BHP and my old Evo 370BHP then I think I'd get round the track as quick if not quicker in my old teg as it was more sure footed than the Evo.
However the Evo was loads of fun and at 370BHP it was quick in a straight line, just keeping it in a straight line was the problem. Just wish I was able to get it to 400/400 before it went to car heaven.