ICE Expert help needed - radio reception and iPod stuff

crxvtec

Advanced Member
1. Radio reception.

I've been complaining about this since I got the car. FM reception sucks. I did find out (by accident) that reception improves if the wiper is horizontal and progressively gets worse as the wiper moves back up to vertical. Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I believe that because the wiper arm is metal it's absorbing the radio waves but I may well be wrong.

2. iPod control. I have a very high end vintage head unit with Aux input for my ipod. Except when one is on the motorway, it's not advisable to hold an iPod and look at the screen to see what's playing or to change track. I decided I need some form of ipod controller, ideally in the din slot below my stereo. I am seriously considering getting a Drive and Play from Harman Kardon, but don't see where it can best be mounted and harmonise with the interior - so I'm thinking of mutilating it a bit and converting it to fit into a single DIN slot, so that a) it looks cool, b) it doesn't take up more space than it needs to, and c) it blends in with the interior.

Anyone got ideas/suggestions?

Suped

Advanced Member
1, Nope, no idea..

2, Apline has got a revised ipod control system for the media centre.. sell the RF and get a alpine as the new ipod control is much nicer to use and has more functions than the predecessor. (Had a good fiddle over at SMK).

crxvtec

Advanced Member
You mean the KCE-415i? I was looking at that last night online...seems interesting though not sure how it would control music as it basically emulates an external DVD source...

crxvtec

Advanced Member
or KCE-422i Fullspeed connection for even better integration with the new FullSpeed capable units like the IVA-W200Ri 8)

Incidentally, stateside they've got an IVA-W205 in the works that can house an inbuilt portable GPS receiver - so you can take it out and walk with it once you park up, or you can take it to another vehicle. Very cool! Hope they bring it to Europe cos I'd buy it in a snap.

Hello mate in answer to Question 1,

Check the earth at the base of your ariel is secure and has a good contact

Check the plug is secure that goes into the back of your head unit.

Couple of common probs there mate let me know how you get on any way 8) :wink:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Earth at base of aerial? Can you tell me where that is?

Plug is so firmly in, you need pliers to pull it out :)

Lol plyers

Erm not to sure were your earth is mate but mine on the Cav is at the very base, underneath the aerial.

On yours it could be there or closer to the top just before it comes though the body work. :wink:

Were abouts you live any way ??

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Right...you've not got an Integra then? Else you'd know the aerial is a couple of filament wires printed onto the rear windscreen!

I live in Wembley.

crxvtec said:
Right...you've not got an Integra then? Else you'd know the aerial is a couple of filament wires printed onto the rear windscreen!

I live in Wembley.

I havent no ,

Lol yes i would, BUT there should be an earthing point else things like wipers and indicators would be picked up. errrrrrrrrrrrmmmm if you were a bit nearer the Midlands i was gonna have a look for you...

Brett

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Cheers, much appreciated - I'm told there is a box somewhere at the top of the screen that has all the connections for the antenna.

tedg

Advanced Member
V - Tec Tastic said:
crxvtec said:

I live in Wembley.

I havent no ,

Lol yes i would, BUT there should be an earthing point else things like wipers and indicators would be picked up. errrrrrrrrrrrmmmm if you were a bit nearer the Midlands i was gonna have a look for you...

Brett
Brett you can always fix mine... i am in northants :lol:

tedg

Advanced Member
Same as yours, FM reception sucks.....

I see some RSX owners just install a new aerial, one of those small internal ones.

To be honest i have not looked at it too much yet.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yeah I've been tempted to go for a Blaupunkt Autofun or even a Hirschmann bee-sting but I think resolving the issue is better than sidestepping it.

I know on ClubRSX some of the early cars actually had miswired aerials which led to bad reception and this was covered under a recall, but you and I don't have that problem else it'd be really bad all of the time.

Have you tried pulling the rear wiper arm away from the glass? I found that it improved reception no end. Bizarre!

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Have you tried pulling the rear wiper arm away from the glass? I found that it improved reception no end. Bizarre!
Interesting, the reception on my non C-pack isn't too bad, perhaps due to the lack of wiper?

Not quite as good as my Merc, but that has one of the Forth bridge main pillars masquerading as an aerial, and could probably pick up signals from outer space...

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yep lack of wiper clearly helps!

Mercs come with Hirschmann antennas, known to be the best in the world (and probably in the universe!)