Icebox Vs Std

macer

Advanced Member
Was thinking of buying the Icebox intake system but after having a close look at it, it looks just the same as std except for the longer intake pipe the sucks up air form lower down the engine bay, is that the only difference?? Also comptech seems to have only have tested it on the RSX
Its hard to find just where all the extra power could be coming from.

So go on tell me how im missing the point
:D

T666YPR

The fact that the oem filter is restrictive and is swopped out (afaik),plus it's getting a cold air feed,should make it a deal better than standard.

Although some "before and after" dyno's would help if anyone has any?

macer

Advanced Member
I had a look inside the Icebox and the layout looks just the same, so if its just the filter and pipe seems like a waste of money.
Now I know I could be totally wrong on this

gonzo

Advanced Member
The ice box is completely different to the standard, piping goes elsewhere and internals are different!

The kit produces surprising results on CTRs - Well worth getting!! :lol:

Paul-CTR

I recently saw a dyno graph of an injen vs the icebox. There was no competition in it. Injen literally had gains at every point on the graph when dynoed against the icebox.

The only appealing thing about the icebox is that it looks stock and thats it. The gains ain't great and theres alot of talk about it fouling the gearbox. I had a 'feel' of one so to speak and thought the plastic was a bit cheap, build quality wise i was not impressed. Bit surprising considering they are quite pricy.

The injen maybe more difficult to fit but its one of the best out there. And this is coming from an ITG Fanatic :lol:

The only weakness with regard to the Injen is that essentially its just a long tube open filter. This may have an affect on throttle response. With my ITG throttle response is very impressive, just tap the pedal a tiny fraction and it will respond.

Livvy

Advanced Member
WE have an icebox fitted to our Teg.

WE have had no problems with fouling to gear linkage.

Hasn't been dyno'd before or after fitting, but there is a definate improvement over standard airbox.

Surely extra power would be because your taking cold air rather than hot, which makes a big diffence on an intake system. I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

Paul-CTR

Livvy sorry i didn't know you have one... Did Evostu recommend you get one?

You might want to clean out that filter quite often... Pipes going down and sucking up crap off the motorway is going to block up the filter pretty quickly. Glad to hear you noticed some gains. It should give something back anyway just not alot more.

macer

Advanced Member
Livvy said:

Hasn't been dyno'd before or after fitting, but there is a definate improvement over standard airbox.

Surely extra power would be because your taking cold air rather than hot, which makes a big diffence on an intake system. I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.
Seems like a lot of money just to have a longer intake pipe, :?:

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
macer said:
Livvy said:

The intake pipe goes straight down m8, and is located in a different location as the oem one !

Another reason to choose the Icebox is noise, as it is only so slightly louder than stock and doesnt give a loud 'bark' during vtec.

Livvy

Advanced Member
Paul-CTR said:

You might want to clean out that filter quite often... Pipes going down and sucking up crap off the motorway is going to block up the filter pretty quickly. Glad to hear you noticed some gains. It should give something back anyway just not alot more.

We got one off our own backs as people i have spoken to that had them were impressed with the gains. We were also after a quiet induction kit.

I like the look of the ITG, just don't like the look of messy airpick up pipe.

macer said:

Thats why we brought 2nd hand :D

Paul-CTR

Livvy said:
Paul-CTR said:

We got one off our own backs as people i have spoken to that had them were impressed with the gains. We were also after a quiet induction kit.

I like the look of the ITG, just don't like the look of messy airpick up pipe.

macer said:

Thats why we brought 2nd hand :D
Yeah alot of people have commented about the flexihose. It was a bodge job for one of the guys up there. He just shaped it with his hands and a hammer. On the final boxes these will be machine made so alot better.

Hopefully they will replace my one as well because I've got holes and tears in mine now from swapping it in and out all the time.

You do need to clean the icebox alot though, ITG have several systems with a very similar method of cold air pick up point, the 206 GTi airbox for example. The amount of rubbish and crap in there after a few months is unreal.

macer

Advanced Member
looks quite nice, :D
Know of any sites where I can buy and what type of gains it gives the DC5?

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Check out the link I posted, also PM Paul-CTR he's the one with the kit fitted and will be testing it on a DC5 soon.

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Any news on the DC5 testing of the ITG kit? Who's providing the test fit car? :) I'm sure it was supposed to be this week sometime.

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Just been reading on the CTR forum, this week or weekend Paul said, not sure who the test car is but wanted it to be someone with a Spoon strut brace as I'm not too keen on losing mine.

Paul-CTR

The guy who i am supposed to be visiting is stalling on me. Is there someone else I can call upon on this forum to have a trial fitting?

scottie i know your far but would you like to come and try? That way we can be sure of your brace etc..

besides the guy already had an injen which is not really ideal i want someone to try it with a standard airbox.

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Paul,

there's probably someone closer to you than me and I'm not available this weekend. Have you tried Gonzo? He's got the Spoon brace?

Scott