Identifying a knock

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Well ..long story short i am trying to identify a knock on the front end of the car..

It happens on bumps.. I have replaced top mounts that were worn.. lower ball joints checked, all the bushes ok... only think i am not sure is the tie rod ends. they don't have a play ..but they can move with little force... and when they reach the "end" they make a knocking sound.

how is your tie rod ends feel? stiff to twist? do they make a sound when they reach the end of the movement?

hondazzz

Advanced Member
thanks

Lauren said:
Could be a worn steering rack slider?
it happens on each side, depending where is the bump..so it has to be something that there is on each side..
got everything checked my self and got a garage checking it too..

all the parts seems solid but knocking/clucking sound still there...

Anyway i will disassemble the top mounts once again and check if something is wrong with the pillow balls..

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Donald_TSC said:
Get car into garage, on a ramp and get someone who knows what they are doing to check it.
Thanks for the suggestion, i know what am doing and i did, anyway got a garage to check it also on the ramp.

I am not trying to get anyone solving the knocking sound mystery through web, my question was how does your tie rod ends move and sound.

cheers

Rom

Advanced Member
By tie rods, do you mean track rod ends? They don't move as such.
They will pivot slightly on the balljoint.
If you are twisting them while still attached to the shock, they will move yes.
Shouldn't really hear a noise, but depends how hard you are hitting the end if travel.
They obviously loosen up with age. But if there is no play in the joint, they are probably Ok.

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Rom said:
By tie rods, do you mean track rod ends? They don't move as such.
They will pivot slightly on the balljoint.
If you are twisting them while still attached to the shock, they will move yes.
Shouldn't really hear a noise, but depends how hard you are hitting the end if travel.
They obviously loosen up with age. But if there is no play in the joint, they are probably Ok.
yes they have loosen up but NO PLAY, i have checked a local dc5 too and it feels the same but he has no sounds inside the cabin on bumps..
and to be honest i doubt hitting the end on those small bumps with 10kg/mm spring and only 20mm drop (buddyclub has lower steering arm also) ...

Anyway, i will install the OEM shocks&spring and test it..it will direct me away or towards the coilover..

thanks for your input regarding the tie rod end joints.

donzooo

Advanced Member
hondazzz said:
Thanks for the suggestion, i know what am doing and i did, anyway got a garage to check it also on the ramp.

I am not trying to get anyone solving the knocking sound mystery through web, my question was how does your tie rod ends move and sound.

cheers
That was not meant to be cheeky, apologies.

Rom pretty much covered it. Another point is the dampers themselves. To make sure there is no movement of the piston. Definitely check ARB droplink movement too.

p1tse

Advanced Member
i'm getting a knocking sound at the moment, been told as like you everything else looked fine when in the air, suggested top mounts

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
i'm getting a knocking sound at the moment, been told as like you everything else looked fine when in the air, suggested top mounts
i dont know if you are running coilovers or oem, but in my case is a bit more complex since i got buddyclub n+ with custom made top mounts with pillowball.. but since they are custom i cannot consider them "new" and take them out of the equation ..

p1tse

Advanced Member
mine are oem shocks with eibach springs

thought worth mentioning, but appears you're in a more complex position if they are custom made?

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
mine are oem shocks with eibach springs

thought worth mentioning, but appears you're in a more complex position if they are custom made?
Yes, indeed i am... you on the other hand i think you are 100GBP away from your solution if you need top mounts !