Idle air control valve question?

kieranH

Advanced Member
My dc5 has been off the road now for just over a year and has began to rev up and down on idle. I removed the iacv and cleaned it with carb cleaner and all seemed fine as the idle returned to normal.

I took the car for a drive yesterday and now it's revving between 1-2k everytime I stop?? Anyone had similar problem and if so what are my options, buy a replacement part etc. Thanks

rallye nick

Did you take it apart fully? So you could spin the spindle yourself by hand?

I had the same issue and the shaft would not spin freely to start but by the time I had cleaned it thoroughly it would freely spin with ease. You will need some 5 star torx bits to take it apart fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kieranH

Advanced Member
rallye nick said:
Did you take it apart fully? So you could spin the spindle yourself by hand?

I had the same issue and the shaft would not spin freely to start but by the time I had cleaned it thoroughly it would freely spin with ease. You will need some 5 star torx bits to take it apart fully.

Yes I took it apart fully and cleaned both parts. Seemed to work fine at first but has since started playing up again

rallye nick

kieranH said:
Yes I took it apart fully and cleaned both parts. Seemed to work fine at first but has since started playing up again
So I assume it span freely with no resistance once cleaned, and you could spin it and let go and it would continue to spin freely a little?

kieranH

Advanced Member
I'm not really sure what bit you mean is supposed to spin freely??

I took the iacv out and then took it apart and cleaned it well. I never realised there was a part that should spin freely!!???

2ndy

Advanced Member
What way did you drive it? Let it warm up and take it a hard drive, Rev it right out a good few times, should sort it out.

Glad il never have these problems with the IACV

rallye nick

kieranH said:
I'm not really sure what bit you mean is supposed to spin freely??

I took the iacv out and then took it apart and cleaned it well. I never realised there was a part that should spin freely!!???

The black valve on the right hand side of the first picture, this will come off and leave the shaft like so in the second picture, this should then spin freely.

Like I said you will need a set of 5 star torx which can be bought cheap on Amazon ( Silverhill 5 Point Star Torx Bit Set (10 bits) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ALOG06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ey9hQmf4qIjlX ) these are the ones I bought to remove the valve, but take a note of where the screws are on the valve before you undo, as they are slotted holes and if not put back correctly it will effect where the car idles.

You can see how much crap was in my valve to start, after I finished with some carb cleaner and ear buds it was as good as new.

Hope this helps a little.