IDLE problem after car not driven for 2 weeks.

ITRNETWKZ

Hello Folks,
I have just returned from holiday so my DC5 hasnt been driven for 2 weeks. Last night when I was driving it I noticed something really strange with the rev counter, and it's still happening today.
It's fine when in gear but as soon as I depress the cluth the rev counter goes from 1,500 (usual idle revs) up to 2000 and starts bouncing between these 2 figures about once every second - so to anybody outside the car it looks as though Im revving the engine continously.
Anybody had a similar prob or any ideas??
any help greatly appreciated!

Graham.

matt b

Advanced Member
Sticking Idle control valve mate did one a few months back on my mates CTR.

Just get a new throttle body gasket from honda. Remove the Airbox/induction system that you have. Whip off the throttle body, turn it over and the ICV is the white unit underneath. Make sure you tie up all the lose hoses or you will lose coolant. Remove the ICV from the throttle body. Now all you need to do to open the ICV is cut some grooves in the safelty screws to get a flat head screwdriver on them. Once open just give the whole unit a good clean with WD40 and a high pressure air hose.

Once done just pop it all back together but remember to put the rubber seal in the IVC back before you screw it all together or like I did you will fix it all up then wonder why shite loads of coolant is pouring into the floor :oops:

ITRNETWKZ

cheers mate!
thanks that does sound like it especially with the car not being driven for a couple of weeks.
I'll get a gasket and see how I get on.
Not having done an awful lot of work under the bonnet - (or any) is this a reasonably easy job to do myself?

matt b

Advanced Member
ITRNETWKZ said:
cheers mate!
thanks that does sound like it especially with the car not being driven for a couple of weeks.
I'll get a gasket and see how I get on.
Not having done an awful lot of work under the bonnet - (or any) is this a reasonably easy job to do myself?
You will be fine mate!

Just take your time over it. I dont do alot myself to be fair but little jobs like this are not to bad for me. Only problem may be the throttle body actually coming off as it can get a little stuck. Just take a rubber malet or bit of wood and a hammer to it and it will come off in the end.

Took me about 1 hour but most should do it in 1/2 an hour :lol:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Just give it a good run and you'll probably find it will clear itself unless its really mucked up.

ITRNETWKZ

Ok dok - I'll take it out along the motorway tonight for an hour and see how it behaves after that.
Thaks for your help chaps.

Evs

Advanced Member
Agree with Ed & Nick - go for a blast in it before trying anything more drastic! :idea:

matt b

Advanced Member
Wouldnt say it was drastic :? if its stuck now its only going to gunk up again in the future

Wootty

Advanced Member
I had this - there is a thread on here somewhere giving the same advice to remove and clean. Going for a run didn't unstick mine. Its not a big job - just make sure you get a new gasket from the throttle body to the intake as its usually stuck on half and half and tears when you take it off.

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
i had the exact same problem as you mate when i went on holiday for 2weeks. Basically your ecu is cold and damp that was what i was told at system r. All i did was start the car as normal, drive it normal for about 10mins to make sure the engine is at normal working temperature then VTEC it baby!! After a few VTEC's that was my problem was solved :wink:

ITRNETWKZ

Thanks very much for the info guys - I took it out a blast along the motorway last night and sure enough that was enough to fix it! Obviously the half- hour commute to work yesterday just wasn't long enough to clear it.
I reckon I will strip and clean the unit sometime soon anyway though as it sounds like it is still a job worth doing.
Cheers!

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
All cars do this from time to time, the engine management has to cope with a huge variation in ambient, and engine parameters and things can get a little confused.. Idle control is a very complex subject though....

That said, cleaning all the throttle body and connections is a wise move anyway.