If you had £1k to spend on mods..

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Hello
Just getting some ideas really.
Only had my DC5 not even two weeks yet and I'm already planning ahead how to release more power from her.

My car is completely stock apart from an AEM intake.

If you had £1k cash only to spend on mods, what would you buy and in what order?
Ive read loads of good things about the Tegiwa Carbon induction kit but also bad about rattles etc.
Does anyone actually offer a professional fitting of this kit? With Black Friday only a week away, I'm tempted to get one.
Also, a second hand Catback exhaust system is on my list of things to do.
What about the Manifolds etc and the Tuning? Could this be done under £1k?

nsxer

Advanced Member
Personally I would spend the money on getting better handling from the car ... no point in having extra power gains without the gear to put it down.

This was my priority 1st when bringing in my dc5

2ndy

Advanced Member
Id probably put the whole £1k on suspension. Springs/2nd hand coilovers, camber arms and bolts, and a good alignment plus any bushes or whatever that may need done. Be alot nicer car to drive rather than just spending it trying to get a couple of bhp which probably wont make a difference on the road.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
yup, as above, upgrade the perishables to make it feel factory fresh again. don't bother with power just yet...if atall. I thought I would be on the kpro band wagon by now, but 5 years plus and I'm happy with oem power, but a good solid suspension, handling setup to compliment it. :)

It all depends what you want though, I run an exhaust purely for noise/ looks, but the handling is much more fun compared to 30 bhp I believe.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I've done 2k on power to gain maybe 20-30 bhp. Pointless really.

Suspension and ARB's then brakes I would go for.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ekchris139

Advanced Member
As said suspension mods would be top of my list then brakes if only 1k to spend.

Theres another option to think about if you want to feel like you have increased power. You could look into a 5.3 fd from spoon. Think they are around 500ish now to buy

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Oh crap, I totally forgot to mention that the car is sat on Eibach pro springs.
The springs and induction kit are the only two mods previous owner installed.
I think the drive is really good, it's not overly harsh and corners pretty well too.

Can I ask another question probably not related to this thread but yesterday and today is been driving on the motorway and it's been throwing it down with rain and I noticed a very strange droney/distorted type engine noise and it felt like car was losing power.
Any ideas what this is or what caused it?
I dunno but I feel it may be something to do with the induction kit? Maybe sucking in water as it was raining pretty heavily.
As soon as I got off the motorway, it stopped and all back to normal.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Check your filter as it could be wet, happened to my old ep3 and sounded like what you describe

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
Or it could be the heatshields on the exhaust. Common issue when it rains when you have the OEM header.
Water gets stuck between the heat shields and starts to boil/evaporate. This makes a distorted sound and makes the car vibrate more.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Honda-atr said:
Or it could be the heatshields on the exhaust. Common issue when it rains when you have the OEM header.
Water gets stuck between the heat shields and starts to boil/evaporate. This makes a distorted sound and makes the car vibrate more.
Yeah it almost did have like a vibrating sound/feel. Was horrible though, you could hear it properly when you push down the accelerator then release it as the revs are climbing back down, sounded worse.
If it is the heat shield, could it be replaced or taken off without causing damage?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Tires and geometry would be my advice for £1k, after that I'd probably go for final drive

crasherkid

Advanced Member
I'm not racing the car on a track or anything of that nature.
This is my daily car I use for everything, luckily wife has a 4 door polo I can take whenever we need to take our baby anywhere.

I just wanted to improve on the acceleration really, the suspension and ride handling seems okay.

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
crasherkid said:
I'm not racing the car on a track or anything of that nature.
This is my daily car I use for everything, luckily wife has a 4 door polo I can take whenever we need to take our baby anywhere.

I just wanted to improve on the acceleration really, the suspension and ride handling seems okay.
Final drive and lightweight flywheel then imo 👍🏻

spooke

Advanced Member
First thing I'd do is a full major service (excluding the timing chain - unless it is noticeably stretched) and valve clearances. Then if all you want is more acceleration then as above, 5.3 or higher FD and a longer 6th gear for motorways. Wouldn't bother with a flywheel as all your saving is around 1KG, I'd get the clutch changed instead if it needs it.