If you had to change from a DC5 to a cheaper car

Martctr

Advanced Member
What would you go for?

I'm in this situation and really worried as I don't want to sell but I have to sell even though I love the car and I'm very happy with it.

Budget around 5-6k

So far I've looked at DC2 (jdm), but thinking it would be nice to try out a rear wheel drive turbo so looked at R33 GTS & S14's

neilaston87

Advanced Member
Cheaper car or cheaper to run?!

There are lots of motors which are out there for cheaper. Ie scooby's etc.

TBH i would go back to an EP3 if i had to get shot of the DC5.

Martctr

Advanced Member
cheaper car.

Unfortunately messy break up still coming back to kick me in the nuts so I need to free up a couple thousand to stay in control of my finances and with the lack of work about I have to sacrafice the DC5.

Looked at scoobys, saw a nice bug (for a bug eue it was nice) STI 5.5k with some nice wheels and very clean, but Tax is going to be stupidly high.

Went for a drive yesterday to look at all the import garages in the area only to discover two have closed down!

celox performance

Advanced Member
I'd go for a Honda Prelude Type S. They have some weird type of electronic active yaw/traction control and also have a few carbon bits (dash etc) inside. As standard they kick out 220-225bhp and go like stink. They're also cheap to buy, cheap to run, very reliable indeed and good on petrol. The downside is they're ultra rare.

Another choice is a E36 BMW M3 Evo (which I already own) and can easily be picked up within your budget although they're not cheap to run by any means. If I sold the M3 then i'd go for an Evo 5/6 which you may be able to pick up within your budget :?

jonster

Advanced Member
I'd second that. EK9's are sweeet. Need a little bit more power but the handling more than makes up for that.

Martctr

Advanced Member
The other half wont go for an ek9 lol

I had an offer for a swap, but I was unsure and she made it clear she didnt like.

I really like th look of the JDM DC2, but I fear I'll be disapointed with power. The DC5 is running basic breathing mods and K-pro and feels quite good.

I'll just have to get behind the wheel and see what they are like. The EP3 is to common for my liking and I've been there done that and whilst it was a good car the handling was a little scary when you really pushed it. Anyone that's owned an EP3 knows that horrid feeling when the front wheels suddenly grip and force you into the corner :oops:

Going to drive my mates DC2 (jdm) this week and see how that feels.

Zen1

Advanced Member
jonster said:
I'd second that. EK9's are sweeet. Need a little bit more power but the handling more than makes up for that.
Make that 3 =D>
Ive owned a Crx and two DC2's in the past but the EK9 was my favorite. Amazing engine the B16B and handling is unreal.

Can't see you being dissapointed with a JDM DC2 though. To me, it actually felt faster than my DC5 even if it wasn't. Can't be much in it between the two.

phil r

Advanced Member
mate of mine is going for a facelift ek9 , been told handling is great out of the box , he has been begging to go out in my 5 since I've modded it , but I am curious to see how the ek9 will fair when he gets it , think he is going to buy one from torque as I advised him to , fresh import :xyes:

Martctr

Advanced Member
I've been spoilt by the wonder that is K-pro and that's my main cause of concern. Yeah standard im sure there isnt much in it on all the type R's, but I do feel notice the difference with K-pro and I've had it twice now.

Looked at EP3's and was shocked how cheap they are going for.

Anyone know if the DC2 has any mappable ecu's that are good and as user friendly as K-pro.

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
I'd go for a Honda Prelude Type S. They have some weird type of electronic active yaw/traction control and also have a few carbon bits (dash etc) inside. As standard they kick out 220-225bhp and go like stink. They're also cheap to buy, cheap to run, very reliable indeed and good on petrol. The downside is they're ultra rare.
I had a Type S, they are far from good on fuel economy (350 Klms per €60)

They have ATTS which is an electronic diff, it restricts the amount of power mods you can put on. The ATTS can only handle 250HP although the handling is immense. They ONLY go like stink on vtec, if your travelling at 50 mph and you drop to 3rd its an eternity before vtec kicks in and the young fella in his EK9 has disappeared over the horiozon. They are 220PS standard which is about 216HP.

Dont get me wrong they are the comfortable vtec option and an awesome car for the money but they ARE expensive to feed.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Martctr said:
I've been spoilt by the wonder that is K-pro and that's my main cause of concern. Yeah standard im sure there isnt much in it on all the type R's, but I do feel notice the difference with K-pro and I've had it twice now.

Looked at EP3's and was shocked how cheap they are going for.

Anyone know if the DC2 has any mappable ecu's that are good and as user friendly as K-pro.
A Dastek Unichip gives the car more grunt through out the rev range and makes the car more day to day friendly...

s14/s13 near standard are very dissappointing.

350z are obtainable about 6-9k ....

combo

350z as above or an S2000 would be my choices if fuel economy is not an issue...I almost got an S2000 for around 6k just before I bought the DC5. They've really gone down in price lately and would be loaaads of fun to drive!!

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
If you have not owned a DC2,id say try that for 6 months.

Its a car you have to have experianced/owned if your a petrolhead. :idea:

Loads about for sale at the moment.

Go on,tick it off your list. :p