Illegal to have no CAT?

b19twg

Advanced Member
Hi all

Im looking at getting an exhaust manifold soon, does the new law of having no cat apply to the DC5 as well with it being an import? I got told that it dosent can any resisdent mot'ers shed any light on this?

Cheers.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
The Jan 2012 rules say that a car which qualifies for a full cat test must have a cat fitted if one was fitted originally.

There is no exemption from any part of the MOT test purely due to it being
an import. The vehicle will still need to meet the criteria set out in
'The MOT Inspection Manual for Car and Light Commercial Vehicles'.

Grov

Banned
It won't pass an MOT but i can't see it being a problem if your stopped. What are they gonna do?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They will look underneath and as you have blatantly broken the rules can have you towed to the pound , that's why I always liked the spoon mani as there was a resonator instead of the cat so, if vosa looked at a Roadside check at least there was a box between the lambda sensors, the j's s2000 decat has brackets so you can refit he original cats heat shield so again it looks legit

kingston

Advanced Member
if a car was to pass its mot at a non-friendly mot station and emissions where above board, would it still be classed as illegal?

cameroon95

Advanced Member
I had no cat on my glanza for 3 years and when I was stopped police really didnt check and the guy that did my MOT was friendly enough and passed it each time with the decat in place.
When I bought my teg and took it to a new place they failed me on my MOT and made me buy and fit a new cat before they would pass it.

Really depends on who is doing your MOT.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if a car was to pass its mot at a non-friendly mot station and emissions where above board, would it still be classed as illegal?

Yes as its a requirement to have a cat fitted regardless if it can pass emissions without , that's why I like the spoon mani as mine passed without but as it looked like it had one so was all good

Grov

Banned
What about track cars? sure i read somewhere there will be leniacy. Seems stupid to me.

turbo5

Advanced Member
I have the mugen manifold with the racing cat, passes the MOT everytime

integraleo

Advanced Member
personally i love the look of the tegiwa one.its the one i will be buying once ive bought my rbc first. £450 new i think.not heard anything bad about it so far its all good and a toda copy design will net good power too as well as looking nice

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if a track car has to drive on the road it must comply with the road regulations, vosa dont care if you choose to use your road car as a track car.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
its highly unlikely they will get under the car and look for the cat. its all down to the car owner, if some people are happy to disregard the law then so be it, but others would rather remain legit and run the car with a cat.and not have mot done by someone who is willing to turn their head to certain things.

Each to their own.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
well my experience with plod is that they are not really the problem, around us there are several vosa roadside test stations where they carry out a basic mot , the last time they setup just off the m4 they had 5 ramps and a line of recovery trucks half filled with old vectras and the like, a family friend who works for vosa told us they were carrying out tests, if the cars were totally illegal they were getting taken to the pound, a modern car failing a roadside emmissions check is one thing, having a blatent decat pipe is something else.

when we had the evo, the decat was so obvious if you looked under the car even my gran would have noticed something looked out of place. with the j's one it utilises the heatshield from the oem cat so looks totally td under there,

i just think with the way mot's and the law is going its something people should consider when picking their exhaust

Stuart_M

well my experience with plod is that they are not really the problem, around us there are several vosa roadside test stations where they carry out a basic mot , the last time they setup just off the m4 they had 5 ramps and a line of recovery trucks half filled with old vectras and the like, a family friend who works for vosa told us they were carrying out tests, if the cars were totally illegal they were getting taken to the pound, a modern car failing a roadside emmissions check is one thing, having a blatent decat pipe is something else.

when we had the evo, the decat was so obvious if you looked under the car even my gran would have noticed something looked out of place. with the j's one it utilises the heatshield from the oem cat so looks totally td under there,

i just think with the way mot's and the law is going its something people should consider when picking their exhaust
Excuse my ignorance C&S, are you saying if your car doesn't have a CAT it would still pass the MOT emissions test etc ,and its just the fact that you don't have one there that it would fail, hence the OEM heatshield looking like you have one? I was always under the impression that it would fail the emissions test if it didn't have one thats all.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Excuse my ignorance C&S, are you saying if your car doesn't have a CAT it would still pass the MOT emissions test etc ,and its just the fact that you don't have one there that it would fail, hence the OEM heatshield looking like you have one? I was always under the impression that it would fail the emissions test if it didn't have one thats all.
Some cars will pass without a cat and some wont.. mine has just had a MOT and when my workmate checked the emisions the Lamba was spot on along with the Hydrocarbons but the CO2 was a mile out.. (0.350) should be below (0.200) after messing about abit it finally dropped below the recommended CO2.

I have a Spoon Manifold & 2-1 section with the Resonator so it still looks leagal aswell.

Stuart_M

Some cars will pass without a cat and some wont.. mine has just had a MOT and when my workmate checked the emisions the Lamba was spot on along with the Hydrocarbons but the CO2 was a mile out.. (0.350) should be below (0.200) after messing about abit it finally dropped below the recommended CO2.

I have a Spoon Manifold & 2-1 section with the Resonator so it still looks leagal aswell.
Right I see, thanks for clearing that up....good result for you after a bit of tinkering then