Impact Screwdriver

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Morning Gents, does anyone have any experience with these? i think you need them to change the brake discs over.

Can anyone recommend a good model/brand?

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Hey bud, this tool was a life saver when taking out the screws that position the disk to the hub. Still ended up drilling one of them tho, so keep that in mind. Tbh there are so many tool makes, I use draper. The impact driver itself it's quite robust just make sure you have a decent quality heads for it but they are usually harden anyway. With tools I usually find you get what you pay for soo....handy tool to have. Hope that helps.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Probably a good idea to spray the screw with some WD40 or other appropriate agent to help loosen the thread before you try to unscrew it.

Coldfuse

Cheers lads for the input, i would always use WD40 or equivelent for stubborn bolts.

Sounds like Draper is a good make. Like you say you get what you pay for, i was looking on Ebay but i was a little hesitant about the £10 ones on there.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Go to halfords! Their tools are made by Sykes pickavant and are pretty good quality and a reasonable (if not lifetime!) warranty!
If you know somebody with a trade card you'll get a cracking discount too! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anton1234

Advanced Member
get a nail punch and use a hammer to tap the screw clockwise a tad to break the rust and then anti-clock wise to remove,

mine were seized solid and my impact driver started to round the screw head, but the nail punch worked a treat, the screws would need replacing but at least it will come out in 1 piece, I think the new screws were around 1.25 each so not to bad

Erm

Advanced Member
Are the rear discs a pain to get out as well? They are next on the list for me

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I would take a gess and say they had locating screws as well, someone will confirm but I wouldn't worry wd40 and a impact driver, or as Anton sed. Worse comes to worse all you have to do is drill the head of the screw easy job, just allow an extra hour just incase bud.

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
For brand I'd deffinately go with dewalt or makita. All we use for work and theyre pretty good from my experience.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
Morning Gents, does anyone have any experience with these? i think you need them to change the brake discs over.

Can anyone recommend a good model/brand?
I got mine from halfords. Works a freaking treat. Use the bigger size Phillips head rather than fine one though as you will just snap the bit.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
The cross heads on the retaining screws on my rear discs rounded very easily, I slotted the screws with my Dremel and used a huge flat head, came out easily after that.

Just another suggestion if you have a Dremel. Best £50 I've spent on tools, almost

Coldfuse

Cheers lads, so the answer is probably a halfords tool and some stronger bits? my discs were not changed two long ago so they should come off relatively easily.

Does anyone know how much the Halfords impact screwdriver costs? ( i cannot get my hands on a trade card either)