Import Duty / Vat / Customs etc on a car from Japan

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
Hi Folks,

I have a bit of a query regarding Vat / Duty / Customs clearance etc on a import car.

I have on a whim gone ahead and purchased a PFL DC5 from a USS auction in Japan through a agent. The car in question is a grade 4b and fairly standard.

Now my question is, what steps do I need to take to complete the relevant paperwork required to pay the Duty etc and to get the car registered? Do I pay this at the port when I go to collect the car or is it just the customs clearance that needs paying on the day of collection?

I know that there are companies that can handle all this for you but I would rather do it myself to keep the costs down.

I appreciate all the help :)

Thanks

spooke

Advanced Member
I recently got my car via TorqueGT, I paid the customs/shipping once it had landed at Southampton docks - I would presume it would be the same for yourself? It may be worth asking a import company for some information on this,

Surely you should have looked into this before going ahead and buying one though?

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
I have already paid for the shipping as the agent aranged all of that.

I should have looked into it prior to buying the car but it was a impulse buy as viewed a few cars here and they never really lived up to the descriptions!

I may just have to ask a importer for a bit of guidance unless someone can help on here ☺

James-T

Advanced Member
Once the car is in the docks, the shipping agent will send you an invoice to pay the vat and duty etc. Once that's paid they will release the car and you can then get it registered and MOT'd.

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
Oh ok, will that be posted out to myself or will I have to drive over with my purchase invoice so they can n work out how much I owe?

:)

James-T

Advanced Member
Yeah I imagine you tell them what you paid for it, and they will calculate the total bill for you. That's what I had to do when doing the personal import service with Torque GT.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
If you haven't already, order an import pack from the dvla. It's free, and contains all the relevant forms to get it registered.

You will be required to submit an fob invoice to the clearance agent, so the hmrc can calculate the vat and duty. You should also read the hmrc website regarding nova clearance.

When it arrives, get it insured on the chassis number, get an mot, then send the docs off. You will need to send the mot and insurance certificate away with the registration docs. Hmrc will send you a letter confirming nova clearance. It might be worth waiting for that or calling hmrc to verify it's cleared as the dvla won't give you your v5 without it, and send all your documents back to you. This tricks you into thinking you've got your v5 and can go broom broom, unfortunately you can't and have to start again.

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
Thanks for that xthumbup

Regarding the NOVA form, I have read on the DVLA site that this does not need completing if you are a private individual importing a car from outside the EU?

I'm assuming this will automatically be done once the Duty & VAT have been paid?

Thanks

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Brave man!! How come you managed that through uss? Dont you have to be a registered business to join and have access? ??