importing DC5 myself

micchung

Advanced Member
hi guys,

a newbie here. i've just bought a DC5 and is about to be shipped to the UK, arrival in feb 2004.

has anyone organised getting a car themselves? if so what was involved and how difficult was it.?

just wondering about SVA conversions and SVA test
what does this involve to the car and costs?

converting the speedo from Kph to Mph - are the dials physically changed rather than using stickers?

and rear fog lamp is it true they have to cut into the bumper? :cry:

sorry for all the questions.

advice would be much appreciated!

mic

JOM

Advanced Member
Hi mic,

For information about the SVA test prob best to ring DVLA and fnid where you can get it done local to you.

Fog light, mine has just had one fitted below the rear bumper but I might move it.

Conversion between KPH and MPH think is done by fitting a chip in the dash somehow.

Hope this helps

James

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi Mic

SVA centres tend to be located at Ports in the UK :!: :!:

For the SVA test you will need the following to be done:

Kmps to MPH on dials, often the K is just blanked over on the dials.
Speedo conversation, not sure how this is done.
Rear Fog Light
Fuel Neck restrictor

I think that’s all for the SVA, you are also advised to get the car under sealed, as they do not do this on Japanese cars :!:

Mike

Erm

Advanced Member
if ya got MSN add me and i'll talk u thru everything u need to know

did the importing thing myself

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
micchung said:
why are the HIDs a pain?
Forgot this point :!:

HID are not allowed in SVA tests, they have to be removed or the car will fail the test :cry:

All importers, do this and then after the test refit them 8) they are so much better :lol: so should be refitted, totally legal :p

Mike

izerosll

Regarding the km/h to mph conversion, would it not be easier to get a United State Acura RSX type S speedometer to replace the current type R speedometer? Then after the car has been passed swap back your type R speedometer?

I'm located in the USA, so if you need parts let me know and I can see if I can help you.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Good idea, however, wont this mean when you change back, it will still read in KM/H, when here in the UK all road signs, distances are done in miles :!:

Mike

izerosll

MJ Type-R said:
Good idea, however, wont this mean when you change back, it will still read in KM/H, when here in the UK all road signs, distances are done in miles :!:

Mike
Just remember what km/h is at what speed limit. haha.
Like for example, if the speed limit is 45mph, just look on the speedometer and look at what kmh your at when your going 45pmh. :)

Erm

Advanced Member
it won't be able to be done..........

not without GREAT difficulty anyways!

jay.dee

Advanced Member
I reckon it could be adjusted by Honda if you spoke to a dealer, after all they make the Civic in Swansea for export back to Japan, and so must have some facility there to change/convert the odometer.

I don't think anyone is sure whether if the odometer counts up in miles once the speedo is converted to mph - one to find out on a known measured distance one time methinks.

From my understanding, the odometer reading is kept in a chip in the cluster, not the ECU, and so if you did buy a US cluster, you'd very likely not even get one that had an approximate mileage for your car - and so you may still have to have it adjusted anyways.

nattcharles

The car will be subject to ESVA not SVA so you will also need a Model Report. Have done the import thing myself many times. The best thing for you to do is contact SVA UK in Southampton and get them to do all the conversion and get it through the ESVA test. It will probably cost you about £500 for the conversion and the test. The rental of the Model Report will be about £250 on top of that. They will take the HID out for the test and then put them back in after. You can buy all the parts and do all the work yourself but you will only save a couple hundred pound in the long run. http://www.svauk.co.uk/

Duncs

I live pretty close to southampton, but did the ESVA thing myself
as i didn't want to pay the costs for somebody to do it.
1. car has to be fitted with an alarm/immob by a VSIB
fitter prior to test.
2. speedo conversion k/m/h to m/h, blank out the k
3. remove HID lamps and fit standard bulbs, fiddly
but not difficult
4. speed conversion, its a small electronic box that connects
to your speed sensor (this also removes the limiter)
5, fog light has to be 250mm from floor, use a narrow
lamp fitted to underside of bumper. illuminated
switch in dashboard.
6. sticker for air bag, to be visible from outside car.

all bits are available easy in uk, several companies.
as previously stated, several have done it
pm if you need any other advice, believe me
there are a lot of silly things that can trip you up