Importing from Ireland to UK

jono888

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

Been hunting for a DC5 for a while now, originally was planning to import one from Japan but the Yen is just ridiculously high.

Now instead I am looking to import one over from Ireland.

Could you guys give me any advice on what I need to do regards to registering the car from Irish to UK Tax/Registration etc?

If anyone knows that is :D

Much appreciated!
Jono

Torque-GT

As longs as it's over 10 years old, you will just need an MOT. If it's newer than 10 years, you will require an IVA test. As it's not a fresh import from Japan you will need proof from the Irish authorities that it met Japanese standards if you do require an IVA.

Most cars I've seen from Southern Ireland, seem to have had a relatively hard life. The roads out there aren't great.

You'll then need to register the car with DVLA, so you'll need identification and valid insurance.

HTH

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
Most cars I've seen from Southern Ireland, seem to have had a relatively hard life. The roads out there aren't great.
:xyes: most examples over here are rough alot have changed hands over here many times ie (3+ owners)

i brought mine in from japan myself in 2007 wen times were good (currency rates) wouldent sell it as i wont get the money id want (and i still love it)

good look in ur search xthumbup

rotabeast

In terms of the quality of the car, it's anyone's game - just like it is in the UK. Car may have been well looked after and maintained, or may not have. A lot of DC5 owners in Ireland are fanatics and really look after their cars + Irish roads, although being sub-standard imo (I live there) aren't as rigourously salted and gritted as UK roads, and as a result, the underside of the car doesn't suffer as much if it hasn't been under-sealed. If the car has been driven carefully and due care has been taken in looking after it, then there should be no cause for worry - as always though, there are your fair share of wasters and gangsters around so best to go with gut feeling! HTH :)

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Ok, Im an Irish Dc5 owner and I have to say like above you get good ones and bad ones. But overall, I think the Irish standard of car is a good 25/30% less than the UK standard. Yes, you will find a good DC5 in Ireland at some stage, but they are very rare. When I was in the market to buy my DC5 I could not get one in Ireland that fitted the condition I wanted. I had no choice but to buy a DC5 from the UK due to the lack of cars in the condition I would consider buying one in. Even after looking at about 15 “unblemished” Dc5’s, over half a year, they all had something wrong with them that the owner never stated to me! Also don’t believe what people say over here, every DC5 in Ireland is “unblemished” (It’s the way the market has gone, I don’t understand it as much as the next guy). I wish I could be saying positive stuff here, but I honestly can’t. I personally know of and have seen about 5 excellent condition DC5s over here out of 100’s the rest are not very good. You will find good ones here, but they are far between. The prices here are very cheap so if you find a good one you will get a good deal. The roads are bad here, but as said above way less salt so under the car will be good. I do think it is a risk coming over here to buy a car, get a good one and there are serious deals to be had. Watch out for cars that have changed hands a few times. The good ones will be ones with low previous ownership, as said above many will have had several owners who have no respect for them and will be driven hard. Just make sure you specify on the phone you really mean business with regard condition, try weed out every little mark on the car over the phone before you book any flights/ferry. I think there are 2 facelift models for sale here that look good. Don’t look for a stamped service record, they don’t matter over here. I don’t even have one for mine. Ok, Im an Irish Dc5 owner and I have to say like above you get good ones and bad ones. But overall, I think the Irish standard of car is a good 25/30% less than the UK standard. Yes, you will find a good DC5 in Ireland at some stage, but they are very rare. When I was in the market to buy my DC5 I could not get one in Ireland that fitted the condition I wanted. I had no choice but to buy a DC5 from the UK due to the lack of cars in the condition I would consider buying one in. Even after looking at about 15 “unblemished” Dc5’s, over half a year, they all had something wrong with them that the owner never stated to me! Also don’t believe what people say over here, every DC5 in Ireland is “unblemished” (It’s the way the market has gone, I don’t understand it as much as the next guy). I wish I could be saying positive stuff here, but I honestly can’t. I personally know of and have seen about 5 excellent condition DC5s over here out of 100’s the rest are not very good. You will find good ones here, but they are far between. The prices here are very cheap so if you find a good one you will get a good deal. The roads are bad here, but as said above way less salt so under the car will be good. I do think it is a risk coming over here to buy a car, get a good one and there are serious deals to be had. Watch out for cars that have changed hands a few times. The good ones will be ones with low previous ownership, as said above many will have had several owners who have no respect for them and will be driven hard. Just make sure you specify on the phone you really mean business with regard condition, try weed out every little mark on the car over the phone before you book any flights/ferry. I think there are 2 facelift models for sale here that look good. Don’t look for a stamped service record, they don’t matter over here. I don’t even have one for mine.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Sorry for the block of writing with no paragraphs. Trying to write it under the radar at work.

jono888

Advanced Member
Hey all,

Thanks for your replies! much appreciated with the information and advice.

I am looking to import over a prefacelift dc5 from Ireland:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3566603.htm

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jono

rotabeast

Hey all,

http://www.pistonhea...les/3566603.htm

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jono
Looks lovely :)

Try this site, it's where I got mine from: http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/integra%20dc5
A lot of people in Ireland use this site for selling cars - I got mine for €5800, 70K Miles on clock, and a few nice mods - needs a small bit of touch up work done, but I'm happy with it :)

lujamil

Advanced Member
Hey all,

http://www.pistonhea...les/3566603.htm

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jono
I had a look at this one the other day mate and also contacted the seller. He told me that:

The mileage is 141,000 km. The speedo is still in KM/H as I'm located in Ireland.

No the car does not have full service history. It was imported in 2009 by a friend of mine.

The car has 3 previous owners on the Irish logbook. One being the imported, second the new owner and thirdly the importer bought it back and put it in his wife's name. The bodywork of the car is in very good condition with 2 small dents on the drivers side. I wouldn't say unblemished because as a car is 11 years old it obviously has some stone chips and imperfections. If still interested I will forward more pictures to you tomorrow.

Depends on what your looking for; but I personally would pay that extra cash for a full service history.

jono888

Advanced Member
Thanks, rotabeast I did have a look on that website for other DC5 comparisons.

Yeah John has told me those details regarding the history and not having the service history for the car.

Does anyone know what kind of tax band it would be in?

Would it change after been imported to UK? as its the first registration into UK.

Thanks,
Jono

Torque-GT

It will be in the PLG band based on engine displacement rather than CO2. £118.25 for 6 months, £210 for 12 Months

tidyneil

I went to ireland as i was tempted by the super low prices, and to my untrained eye the cars seemed fine, but luckily i took my mate with me that has had dealing with bad cars before and he soon pointed out accident damage on both cars that we looked at, i could of got one for around £5700 but i would rather pay top money for the right car, so i picked up mine for just over 9k and i was in amazing condition, my advice is dont bother with ireland, you will save money in the short run but you will regret it!

jono888

Advanced Member
Yeah I will be bringing my mate who is a mechanic/trader so he will be helping me to check out the car :)

I'll see how it goes when I go visit.

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
I'm from Ireland and have to admit there are some rough Dc5's over here for sale mate,

A couple of months ago i was thinking of changing but i knew if i did sell up it would be inevitable id want another as most do :xyes: and it would be very hard to get one as clean as my own, fresh import in 2009 and im the only owner on it

Check every single thing you can on the car, you never no what problems it could have

As for Service history as was said above it will be very unusual to get one with a full service history

Even my own car has none as i do the servicing myself, i just keep the receipts for the parts etc and write the milage on them

Hope everything works out and you get the right car for yourself mate

JohnnyB

Haha that's my car up there! Just joined the site only DC5 forum I could find!

As the guys said full service history is a novelty in Ireland and unfortunately I don't have it with my car.

The car is open to any inspection and as anyone who has contacted me will know I've have tried my best to describe the car as it is.

When I bought it there was a panel beater / mechanic and another mechanic present so I feel the car is in good condition.

If anybody has any questions about it feel free to ask me!

cpoh

Advanced Member
Lads there are plenty of clean examples in ireland, you just have to root them out

I know the fella who sold this car for €5700 in the end, very clean

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2922548

Seen this car plenty of times and its spotless

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2769847

Main benefits of getting a dc5 in ireland are cost, no salt (dont underestimate this!) and genuinely lower mileage than a lot of uk cars. Drawbacks are that you wont get service history a lot of the time and you really have to sift through some poor examples before getting the right one.

At the end of the day the dc5 is a straightforward car mechanically compared to other performance cars and is very easy to spot of things arent right. A lemon will jump at you a mile away.

josh897

i was looking to import a dc2 or CL1 from ireland and there is a serious amount of junk down there, not saying you dont get enthusiasts with tidy examples but honda are very common down there so its like trying to find a tid saxo or d turbo around the u.k, dc5s may be slightly better but nothing like the 5s u get in the uk

cpoh

Advanced Member
i was looking to import a dc2 or CL1 from ireland and there is a serious amount of junk down there, not saying you dont get enthusiasts with tidy examples but honda are very common down there so its like trying to find a tid saxo or d turbo around the u.k, dc5s may be slightly better but nothing like the 5s u get in the uk
Have a look on the autotrader there is plenty of junk DC5's on there too. You are not guarenteed a tidy Dc5 just because thye demand a higher premium in the uk.