Importing Integra's

weasel

Advanced Member
Right then after searching this forum and others for a while I have decided to make a useful thread for us DC5 owners, but it will require the help of others to successfully build the thread and then maybe it can be made into a sticky for other members as refference.

OK.... after a lot of searching it seems that even though a lot of people ask the question " how or what do we need to do" when importing a teg form Japan to the UK we usually get the common response ask either Andy at 200bhp, or other forum members. Maybe its me but for some reason no one ever comes back and posts the information on here??

Well where I am at, I flew my car back from Cyprus last year and after a short while I blew the engine as I was running to much boost : ( so she is now sat at TGM (Fleet) but I will be transplanting the block real soon.

Point of export

Now then from the country of export I had the customs certificate decloration all signed and stamped ready to go, also some specific countries require that the vehicle has been proved to have no finances owed before they will issue the customs certificate.

I had taken care of this and also had the vehicles log book (Cyprus Log Book) and relating MOT certificate Insurance aswell as the car being taxed from the country of export. It is worth a mention that you will require insurance for the vehicle being transited from the country of export to the country of import (and some times this will not be covered in your main policy) always best to insure the car on a seperate specific policy.

If you are buying from the internet direct from Japan most dealers will accommodate all of these requirements for you and both Email you a copy and send the originals with the vehicle (at a cost) but beating down the language barrier will be your biggest demon. I struggle even with Greek Cypriots.... friendly as they were.

Country of import

I collected my Teg and its been sat since, but I got on to DVLA to find out the requirements for this side. First things first, you will need to prep the car to comform to the UK specification. I changed the gear ratio sender which now makes the vehicle read in MPH not KPH, a real simple job to do for the keen DIY person. All that was required (a solderin iron and some solder) and ten minutes under the bonet. Next a fog light, I bought red film from a member on CRSX (USA) who makes them specifically for our cars, I think the cost was like 1 pound including shipping. This gave me a much cleaner look at the back of the car as one of the reverse lights is now the fog light. Very important to know that when you wire up the switch to the fog light you must get it right. The switch must illuminate with the cluster when you turn on the cars side lights/main beam, but when you use the fog lights they must turn of when you kill the ignition. I have some diagrams some where which I will attach at some point. If your car is less than ten years old e.g. 200/2001 then an IVA test is on the cards..... hence you will have to change you headlight bulbs for standard ones, The tegs HID bulbs are not self leveling and would fail the inspection. Just fit standard bulbs, you can reinstall the HIDS after the IVA and they will pass an MOT.

Once this area (IVA) is complete you will need to take the vehicle along with documents to an MOT testing centre ( and hopefully pass), this is now the time to take or send all of your documentation to DVLA,( I would recommend going there in person) I have in the past found them very helpful but in person they can spend more time with you and explain any areas of discrepancy. Also they can explain the vehicles class of COC and tax specific class and of course issue your UK registeration for the car. ( if you want to buy a private plate you can also do this whilst your there).

My understanding of the IVA inspections is for vehicles less than ten years old from date of first registration?? correct me if I'm wrong

Right then so far this is what I have looked into and hopefully this will get rid of any rumours about importing, of course some members may have there own experiences so please share and between us we can get this locked down.

Romour control..... LOL

When I first started this process I was told allsorts of information, such as having to change the size of the neck to the petrol tank etc. Certificate of conformity (COC) European.... this does not apply to our cars as all Integra type R's come from JAPAN, our cars are not or have ever been manufactured in Europe so dont bother wasting your money trying as you will just loose your cash for nothing!!

All that said dont be put off, apart from shipping time from export country the whole process can be done relatively quick and cost effective.

Any way I hope you enjoyed the reading...LOL and Email me or add on this thread and I will update any changes as required....

Rob.....out..hehe

Aly

Advanced Member
Interesting read, would love for someone to actually import a car and put their progress in writing.

Im surprised nobody has came in here and flamed the fornicate out of you.

weasel

Advanced Member
Interesting read, would love for someone to actually import a car and put their progress in writing.

Im surprised nobody has came in here and flamed the fornicate out of you.

LOL I wish that people would take the plunge and import a Teg from Japan themselves ?? I bet they could save some cash. But back on topic my Teg is imported ( and I have done it on my own) but mine is imported from Cyprus but I still have to conform to all of the same principles as importing from Japan as that is where it was first registered.

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
LOL I wish that people would take the plunge and import a Teg from Japan themselves ?? I bet they could save some cash. But back on topic my Teg is imported ( and I have done it on my own) but mine is imported from Cyprus but I still have to conform to all of the same principles as importing from Japan as that is where it was first registered.

I imported mine myself, i did a write up, but you will have to look back through i did it in 2006. Easy to do and buy in Japan through an aution, sort the paperwork out, transfer the money to japan, book teh space on the container ship, organise for it to be delviered to the docks, pay for marine insurance, ship it to SVA k ltd in Southampton to do the SVA as they have all the bits to sawp over to pass the SVA test, and then put you car back to how it came over on the container, collect it , fill up with petrol and go home. I saved over 4k, got a facelift with 8k kms on the clock, grade 5A aution.

easy peasy janaesey.......