Improve road ride quality

moody_mage

I currently have Tein coilovers and polybushes (on the car when I bought it). The ride quality is really really harsh and unforgiving even with the softest setting on the adaptive dampeners, I'm often losing a bit of traction over rougher ground or having my foot bounced off the accelerator (especially going uphill).

What would be peoples recommendations for uprating the ride quality at a reasonable price? I'm not intending to track any time soon but would still like it to feel decent on the road.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Teins are harsh mate, if you can afford them go for Bilstein B14's.

I reckon Bilstein replacement OEM dampers with Spoon springs would also be a good combo

Mugen Showa dampers with Spoon Springs are another option bud.

moody_mage

Crazylegs said:
Teins are harsh mate, if you can afford them go for Bilstein B14's.

I reckon Bilstein replacement OEM dampers with Spoon springs would also be a good combo

Mugen Showa dampers with Spoon Springs are another option bud.
Awesome, I've heard good things about Bilstein B14s and that is something on my wishlist. Good to get confirmation that the Tein's are a rough ride and it's not just me being soft :)

Something like this would basically be a straight swap for my current coilovers?

MikeH89

moody_mage said:
Awesome, I've heard good things about Bilstein B14s and that is something on my wishlist. Good to get confirmation that the Tein's are a rough ride and it's not just me being soft :)

Something like this would basically be a straight swap for my current coilovers?
They are cheaper here, and the seller is actually TGM Sport in fleet who have a great rep.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323178867872

You will need to buy EP3 track rod ends and use some washers to space the rear damper in order to fit them for the DC5. That's assuming the current Tein suspension you have is designed for the DC5 and not the EP3 of course.

Taking a look to see if you have washers fitted in the rear shock where it would mount at the hub end would confirm this, although I don't have personal experience of this so maybe someone else can confirm exactly where the washers are used.

You may want to check what top mounts you have also, as the B14's don't include them.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I currently have Tein coilovers and polybushes (on the car when I bought it). The ride quality is really really harsh and unforgiving even with the softest setting on the adaptive dampeners, I'm often losing a bit of traction over rougher ground or having my foot bounced off the accelerator (especially going uphill).

What would be peoples recommendations for uprating the ride quality at a reasonable price? I'm not intending to track any time soon but would still like it to feel decent on the road.
If you can wait I am selling Mugen SHowa Shocks mated to Spoon progressive Springs shortly as I need to get my B16's on as my car's mainly used on track. Will be looking for £550 collected or that + any delivery costs for them

They are perfect for road use and very very capable on track also mate and very hard to come by nowadays and far better than many Coilovers (unless you spend a reasonable amount), Tein are far too harsh for the UK roads imo.

moody_mage

carl hammond said:
If you can wait I am selling Mugen SHowa Shocks mated to Spoon progressive Springs shortly as I need to get my B16's on as my car's mainly used on track. Will be looking for £550 collected or that + any delivery costs for them

They are perfect for road use and very very capable on track also mate and very hard to come by nowadays and far better than many Coilovers (unless you spend a reasonable amount), Tein are far too harsh for the UK roads imo.
Thanks for that, I think I'll take you up on that as I'm in no rush - also I trust your advice on this. I have a couple of newbie questions though.
  • I assume these fit a PFL?
  • What kind of lowering would be available?
  • Would these be a straight swap over or would I potentially need to get some other bits?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for that, I think I'll take you up on that as I'm in no rush - also I trust your advice on this. I have a couple of newbie questions though.
  • I assume these fit a PFL?
  • What kind of lowering would be available?
  • Would these be a straight swap over or would I potentially need to get some other bits?
Hi mate as below:
  • I assume these fit a PFL? - Yep mines also a PFL 2002 car
  • What kind of lowering would be available? - Fixed drop is 25mm from the spoon springs and an additional 15mm as the Mugen shocks are shorter (total drop 40mm) all-round
  • Would these be a straight swap over or would I potentially need to get some other bits? - 100% straight swap if you have DC5 track rod ends etc
  • These shocks were a Honda optional extra from the showroom in Japan out of the Mugen brochure, I got them form John on here as mine was on oem suspension when I boughtit. Just so you know Showa (which these are, make the oem suspension for the NSX-R).

Have a look through my build thread and you'll see the fitting and height once fitted etc http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/45151-carls-cw-2002-dc5-project-restoration-tgm-repaint-pages-567/

Also have videos on track using them so you can see how good they are, they add about -3 degree's camber I believe due to the shortened shock and mine have the rubber impact stopped to prevent knocks and since John and I fitted them to my car I have had no issues, knocks, bands etc at all.

I love them and am only fitting my bilsteins now as I need further adjustability as my cars used mainly on track

moody_mage

carl hammond said:
Hi mate as below:
  • I assume these fit a PFL? - Yep mines also a PFL 2002 car
  • What kind of lowering would be available? - Fixed drop is 25mm from the spoon springs and an additional 15mm as the Mugen shocks are shorter (total drop 40mm) all-round
  • Would these be a straight swap over or would I potentially need to get some other bits? - 100% straight swap if you have DC5 track rod ends etc
  • These shocks were a Honda optional extra from the showroom in Japan out of the Mugen brochure, I got them form John on here as mine was on oem suspension when I boughtit. Just so you know Showa (which these are, make the oem suspension for the NSX-R).

Have a look through my build thread and you'll see the fitting and height once fitted etc http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/45151-carls-cw-2002-dc5-project-restoration-tgm-repaint-pages-567/

Also have videos on track using them so you can see how good they are, they add about -3 degree's camber I believe due to the shortened shock and mine have the rubber impact stopped to prevent knocks and since John and I fitted them to my car I have had no issues, knocks, bands etc at all.

I love them and am only fitting my bilsteins now as I need further adjustability as my cars used mainly on track
OK perfect - appreciate it. Give me a shout closer to the time when you are ready

carl hammond

Advanced Member
OK perfect - appreciate it. Give me a shout closer to the time when you are ready
Will do mate, where are you based? if local enough then you're more than welcome to test it and see how it feels on mine

moody_mage

carl hammond said:
Will do mate, where are you based? if local enough then you're more than welcome to test it and see how it feels on mine
I'm in Tunbridge Wells so not too far from you I think

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I'm in Tunbridge Wells so not too far from you I think
Yeah mate I am only in West Malling, literally round the corner, away this weekend but feel free to come and see anytime mate

Carl