in car video at Castle combe

garytc78

Advanced Member
Just out of interest was this your first track day or where you just looking after the car as it was the end of the day as it does look like you could of gone faster :)

black teg

garytc78 said:
Just out of interest was this your first track day or where you just looking after the car as it was the end of the day as it does look like you could of gone faster :)
It wasn't my first track day at combe , Ive been on there plenty of times, although seeing my mistakes on the vid i do look a bit of a newbie at times lol (trying to select 3rd gear but accidentally changing in to 5th) :oops:

I slowed down early because i didn't have very much fuel left :( and i need enough to drive back home :(

garytc78

Advanced Member
Yeah i thought as it was the end of the day you was takin it easy but at least you went from 3rd to 5th and not 3rd to 1st #-o

jonster

Advanced Member
Haven't watched it all but you looked like you were going pretty quick to me. Is the video speeded up? I know that track pretty well too and the footage I've got I don't look like I'm going anywhere near as quick as you. Your tires seem to have mega grip. Might be just because you camera is mounted close to the front windscreen.

JohnnyC

jonster said:
Haven't watched it all but you looked like you were going pretty quick to me. Is the video speeded up? I know that track pretty well too and the footage I've got I don't look like I'm going anywhere near as quick as you.
I thought exactly the same.
You seemed to know the speeds for all bends etc. I've only been round it twice, and all the bends looked the same to me :D

garytc78

Advanced Member
I went round at japfest and put in about 8 hard laps and i think i was probably going as fast if not maybe faster but i had plenty of fuel and hadn't done a full track session so my car was a bit fresher.

black teg

jonster said:
Haven't watched it all but you looked like you were going pretty quick to me. Is the video speeded up? I know that track pretty well too and the footage I've got I don't look like I'm going anywhere near as quick as you. Your tires seem to have mega grip. Might be just because you camera is mounted close to the front windscreen.
i was using my team dynamics 15" pro race1 with Yoko AO48R tyres, these tyres are very very good , and the wheels are 15" so that makes the acceleration through the gears much faster, so that could explain why it seems speeded up ,

i know what you mean regarding where the camera is positioned, i did try the camera from the boot on other track days and it does look a little slower , it's just easier to start and stop the recording mounted on the front screen...

jonster

Advanced Member
Thanks for shedding some light on this. I used to run TD15's on my old Teg and they do give mental acceleration compared to the standard size. Still got them but can't fit them to my FD2. Not heard of AO38R tires before (only the 48s). I used to use the Dunlop DO1J (or whatever their replacements are called) and they were great.

I'll have to try my camera mounted closer to the front next time to see how much difference it makes. I had a bit of a shocker mounting it on the rear without the rubber washer between the camera and the mount on my last Combe day (first time in the FD2) and footage is super shaky:-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gh62 ... combe_auto

I won't forget next time.

You car does sound great too!

black teg

jonster said:
Thanks for shedding some light on this. I used to run TD15's on my old Teg and they do give mental acceleration compared to the standard size. Still got them but can't fit them to my FD2. Not heard of AO38R tires before (only the 48s). I used to use the Dunlop DO1J (or whatever their replacements are called) and they were great.

I'll have to try my camera mounted closer to the front next time to see how much difference it makes. I had a bit of a shocker mounting it on the rear without the rubber washer between the camera and the mount on my last Combe day (first time in the FD2) and footage is super shaky:-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gh62 ... combe_auto

I won't forget next time.

You car does sound great too!
Cheers mate , it does sound quite nice on full chat :) , i meant to say A048R :oops:

your FD2 looks like it has plenty of pace ,you caught up and past the evo :twisted:
you were lucky not to get tangled up with the spinning Porsche =D>

jonster

Advanced Member
The Porker moment was my/the first session out and I still had the driver briefing ringing in my ears 'over take with consent'. I was giving the Audi TT RSR some space because of this but he seemed to have no clue anyone was behind him despite joining the advanced group. When I finally got past on the pit straight mr pushy 911 decided to floor it so it was it delightful to see him run out of talent at Quarry :lol:

The EVO was the best challenge to drive against. Nice chap too. He was running some sticky Hankook RS2 rubber which was really getting some punishment (melting quite a bit at the end of the sessions). I had some Yoko road tires I got with the track wheels I bought but they stood up really well.