In dash Android tablet install :-)

alan-lee

Advanced Member
This may be a seriously stupid question, but how does this hook up to your speakers in the car?

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Headphone to twin Phono cable from the tablet. Then two rca splitters, one set connects to a Monoblock Amp to power the sub in the boot, the other set connects to a 4 channel amp which is wired to the car speakers.

Only problem I currently have is a bad earth somewhere but I will sort this soon :p. Other than that it is working a treat :p

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Absolutely love this. Just make sure you make it flash up "Danger to Manifold" every so often :)

Looking forward to getting rid of my iPhone4 next January and getting an Android based phone (find the iPhone way too limited without jail-breaking), but this has opened up a whole new possibility.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Have now tuned the Torque app so the readouts are pretty accurate. If any else uses it and gets weird readouts, It may be because the ECU is reporting 40km/h instead of 40mph. In torque I had to adjust the OBD Speed multiplyer value to 1.609344

Torque will then automatically convert it back into the correct value. I think it will depend on what method was used to do the km to miles conversion on your car.

Absolutely loving having the tablet in the car though. So much stuff to play with!! (Not whilst driving of course :p)

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Also created a custom theme for torque to match the OEM dials. Still needs a lot of work but starting to look ok :)

H105Daz

Advanced Member
Christ and I cant even get my Sony E to auto connect to hands free when I get in the car. :xcry:

barryon

Advanced Member
What apps did you use for the gesture based profile and recognizing the RFID tag and making the phone automatically start up a wifi hotspot? I am definitely going to do this in my car.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
This is too cool. Something I've always wanted to do but don't have the patience lol.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Are there any phone connectivity apps yet or would you still need to run this setup alongside a parrot or similar?

Also is sound quality compromised on a good system if its coming from a jack?

I'm impressed with what you've done though mate, seriously tempted if you don't have to be a genius. I guess if you wanted to still use an Iphone to play music from Itunes you'd use a splitter at the red and white plugs so as you could run two lots of jack plugs? One in to the Nexus and the other located somewhere to plug in the Iphone?

eXceed

Resident Driver
If you have music, you'd just put it on the tablet? Especially if you could create a hotspot and drop the files onto the tablet.

Also makes for an amazing GPS system!

I have a similar thing in my Focus (that is for sale lol).

But this looks like a much better solution!

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
After seeing this at the weekend, I can honestly say I was amazed by the work Matt has done, it looks OEM in its fit and just seems to blend in to the car perfectly.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE A GUIDE OF HOW I CAN DO THIS!!! Haha

But seriously.. Can you? I really want to do this?

Granty1056

Advanced Member
alan-lee said:
CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE A GUIDE OF HOW I CAN DO THIS!!! Haha

But seriously.. Can you? I really want to do this?
Hi.

Its a me too. Ive got the Nexus 4 and 7 and the OBD thingy is on its way.

Regards. Granty.

barryon

Advanced Member
Yep I have a Nexus 7 here and my head unit just packed in so any help would be appreciated.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Well after all my digging its becoming a mare of a task for me so binned the tablet idea for now.

Think we spoke about this before but I have a Raspberry Pi computer and with running the Link ECU and it using windows for tuning etc I want to build an custom install

So I am on the lookout for a touch screen computer croccy, so any recommendations on a good screen that I can connect via HDMI would be good (if you have any idea's) got the Pi already so just need to get the rest of the peripherals.

Cheers buddy

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Ooops, only just noticed that this thread had loads of replies since my last post :(.

I have changed my email in my profile on here now so I get notifications now. Sorry people.

If anyone has any specific questions I am happy to answer them!.

Teegwa: Not really looked into HMDI touchscreens as the tablet route in my opinion is a much better route to take. I looked into the whole Car PC thing A LOT, and at the end of the day there is too many limitations. There are only a couple of PC Front Ends (Graphical User Interfaces) Designed for the car, One you have to buy, the other is rubbish. But even the one you have to buy is not very good. You need to think of the simple things, Like you are sat in your car listening to a song, you pull into a petrol station and turn off the engine so the PC turns off. When you then turn the car back on it boots up the PC and just sits there, you then have to launch a music app and find the song you were listening too.

Tablets are much better suited, for starters they have their own battery so pulling in for petrol means the tablet doesn't get turned off. And even if it does the music apps for android will remember the last song that was being played. I use Poweramp for Android and it has a homescreen widget so as soon as it powers on it can start playing the last song you were listening too.

Android is also so much more customisable so you can sompletely change how it looks in your car. I just use a live wallpaper for the graphics equaliser and it works perfectly. If you get a 3g tablet you also have internet access for streaming radio etc. It will also link to your phone so you can make calls, send messages etc etc.

I have also changed the boot animation for android so when it turns on it comes up with the Honda Power of dreams logo :)

Fitting a tablet is easy and I would highly recommend it!. I use it on a day to day basis and I find it much easier to use than a standard head unit!

Matt.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
LOL yeah things moved on from my questions above to this reply lol.

I found a XP tablet made by Samsung which operates Windows xp tablet edition. Suitable storage ability and operating speeds etc.

Have it roughly installed and now have an amp setup, Split the RCA to 2 x AUX (an AUX for the tablet installed and a seperate in the glovebox for media players like ipod's, phones etc)and power for it all built in place.

I finally got things sorted at the weekend with a separate power switch (when the fascia is built (in time) the on off switch wont be accessible) situated on the right hand side next to coin holder, and looking into a seperate volume dial to put into the new fascia also.

An added bonus, as I have 2 x USB ports I am able to connect directly to my ECU (Link G4) and run live feeds from it and with the AFR gauge now installed its all starting to look the part.

Thanks for the advice anyways buddy always valued.

http://s941.photobucket.com/user/curriegp/media/Tabletinstalled_zpse654e5db.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

Rough gauge setup

http://s941.photobucket.com/user/curriegp/media/GaugesetuponTablet_zps570b4cdb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
yeah its used buddy few years old for what im using it for it didnt need to be state of the art all I wanted was a media device with USB connectivity to run my ECU into.

will (eventually) put more install pics etc in my thread when I complete the dash fascia etc but thay may be a while with other commitments.

Gordon