In Need of a Brake Upgrade

gaza4

Advanced Member
I've started driving a van for work, specifically a 2016 VW Caddy. The brakes on these are pretty responsive, i nearly put myself through the windscreen the first time i drove it!!! haha
But now when i get in the dc5 to drive home i find myself standing on the pedal to get any sort of response.
Ive got OEM disks and stoptech pads up front, both only about 6 months old.

What can i do to improve the braking performance to match the Caddy, frankly its embarrassing that i have more faith in my work van over 4 pot Brembos!!! haha

carl hammond

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
I've started driving a van for work, specifically a 2016 VW Caddy. The brakes on these are pretty responsive, i nearly put myself through the windscreen the first time i drove it!!! haha
But now when i get in the dc5 to drive home i find myself standing on the pedal to get any sort of response.
Ive got OEM disks and stoptech pads up front, both only about 6 months old.

What can i do to improve the braking performance to match the Caddy, frankly its embarrassing that i have more faith in my work van over 4 pot Brembos!!! haha
Braided lines and better fluid mate.. I have been on track in mine a few times this year with the below setup and no issues, brake failure, fade or worries ever.

Hel braided lines
Motul RBF 660 fluid
Oem discs
Dixel ES pads

My pads get mixed reviews, imo when hotnthey are actually better than I expected but I think pbs would be better and will try them next time. Oem discs are capable on road or track (not sure about your discs) but if on oem lines and oem fluid is start there.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
As above change them all, I run PBS but I wouldn't have them again.

Get some Carbon Lorraine pads or Hawk HP+, much better pads imo.

FYI the brakes are garbage on the DC5 lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
As above change them all, I run PBS but I wouldn't have them again.

Get some Carbon Lorraine pads or Hawk HP+, much better pads imo.

FYI the brakes are garbage on the DC5 lol
See I agree when cold but never had an issue when getting them hot, always performed well under pressure on track but I rarely use the car in the road and when I do I‘m like an old granny anyway lol

masterjedijay

Advanced Member
I have braided hoses, Dixcel fluid, Dixcel slotted discs and Dixcel ES pads all round. I really love the set up. Progressive brake feel and pretty good from cold as well. Much better than my OEM set up.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
See I agree when cold but never had an issue when getting them hot, always performed well under pressure on track but I rarely use the car in the road and when I do I‘m like an old granny anyway lol
I think for the type of Pad PBS have a great bite from cold. But tbh, i think Crazylegs is running the wrong pad if he is relying on a good cold bite frequently. I can only imagine carbon lorraine and hawk pads being worse cold bite

ollieh17

Advanced Member
New cars tend to be overservod and give a false impression of braking ability. Personally I wouldnt want brakes in a teg that almost put me through the windscreen with a slight touch. Found the ability to slowly scrub of speed but have good stopping if I really stomp on them especially on track. End of the day the DC5 isn't a city car

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
I think for the type of Pad PBS have a great bite from cold. But tbh, i think Crazylegs is running the wrong pad if he is relying on a good cold bite frequently. I can only imagine carbon lorraine and hawk pads being worse cold bite
Wrong actually mate, I've ran Hawks before and the cold bite is excellent and they soon warm up. They're substantially better than the PBS but at £250 just for the fronts you'd expect them to be. Would still rather have a BBK.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Suppose pads will always be one of those subjective things. Not sure what type of driving OP does but £250 for a pads for a car road driving just seems ridiculous, again I think people assume a good brake is made up by the ability to stop quickly with a slight touch. Not saying the DC5 brakes are amazing but I wouldnt say they are on the verge of being dangerous in the slightest

carl hammond

Advanced Member
One thing I truly believe is people need to learn to drive the cars and use not only brakes but the gears correctly. The DC5 doesn't have the best bakes in the world but they are very good and if used correctly work well. I was worried about tracking my car with my pad setup I got cheap before deciding it was going ot get used on track and they are Dixel ES. They get real mixed reviews and I am getting good laptimes at brands with them and have not had any issues with the pads or brakes at all, when cold they are shocking but once warm they work really well imo. One major factor to remember is tyres also play a big part in a cars braking ability, if the tyres are pants they will impact the braking ability of the car and as said above I would not want my car to nearly put me out the window as I want to be clean and smooth and to strip only the necessary speed when braking instead of hard on them, massive drop in pace and rebuild speed etc again (I think that makes sense, it does in my head anyway, hope I explained it how it sounded to me lol).

Fez

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
New cars tend to be overservod and give a false impression of braking ability.
This!!

New normal cars feel so good, i used to work for Fiat, and the brakes always felt really good.

I fitted braided hoses but didnt really feel a difference.

Pbs pads and Mtec c hook discs are the best combo i‘ve had.
But i have just fitted AP racing calipers with pagid rs29, so im sure they will be alot better.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
One thing I truly believe is people need to learn to drive the cars and use not only brakes but the gears correctly. The DC5 doesn't have the best bakes in the world but they are very good and if used correctly work well. I was worried about tracking my car with my pad setup I got cheap before deciding it was going ot get used on track and they are Dixel ES. They get real mixed reviews and I am getting good laptimes at brands with them and have not had any issues with the pads or brakes at all, when cold they are shocking but once warm they work really well imo. One major factor to remember is tyres also play a big part in a cars braking ability, if the tyres are pants they will impact the braking ability of the car and as said above I would not want my car to nearly put me out the window as I want to be clean and smooth and to strip only the necessary speed when braking instead of hard on them, massive drop in pace and rebuild speed etc again (I think that makes sense, it does in my head anyway, hope I explained it how it sounded to me lol).
Couldn't agree more. I couldnt think of any worse than brakes that stop hard with minor pressing of the pedal. Leave a decent gap, use gears and no need to slam on.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Lads I just want a simple upgrade so that when I go from 8 hours in the van to the car I don't have to put my foot through the floor to get a response from the brakes. I'm not looking to spend hundreds on race spec gear. I commute 20 mins up and down the motorway not the nurburgring 😂

Mark_teg

Staff member
ollieh17 said:
New cars tend to be overservod and give a false impression of braking ability. Personally I wouldnt want brakes in a teg that almost put me through the windscreen with a slight touch. Found the ability to slowly scrub of speed but have good stopping if I really stomp on them especially on track. End of the day the DC5 isn't a city car
As above.

Put the caddy and Teg together and brake hard from a matched speed and see which comes to a stop first - it'll be the Teg ;)

The servo assistance and soft suspension gives the impression of good brakes but it results in lack of feel and earlier wheel locking/ABS triggering, especially the rear wheels.