Induction Kits for the DC5

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Since this is a re-occuring theme on here, thought it may be an idea to put some info together about the different induction kits available for the DC5, if people could add to this then it could potentially turn into a sticky for newbies to read.

Gruppe M - Generally the most desirable - uses ram air technique to force air into the engine, cold air is provided via a scoop mounted on the scuttle panel (the plastic panel at the base of the windscreen). Cost - £800-£900, and you have to be quick if you want to buy one second hand. Installation is simple, even the most feeble minded soul could fit this with a bit of patience. Gruppe M comes with a scuttle panel with hole cut out of it for the purposes of mounting the scoop. Fits with aftermarket intake manifolds. Very good gains and a very good noise!

Tegiwa M - Copy of Gruppe M design but its less than half price, £350. Does not come with scuttle panel however, OEM has to be modified. Again, Good gains and good noise!

This one's mine...

AEM CAI (Cold Air Intake) - This is a cold air feed design where the open cone filter is located in the passenger wheel arch. these are £250-£300 from most uk distributors. again installation is simple, all you have to do is feed the pipe down into the arch without scratching it. This induction kit gives very good gains and is a good alternative to the popular Gruppe M. It does however leave a big hole in the engine bay as you cant really see it, this may bother some, and not others. There have been many discussions about hyrdolock (water getting into the engine) when using this kit, but very little actual proof. Does not fit with aftermarket intake manifolds without modification (cut and weld the pipe). The CAI clashes with your OEM washer bottle, and AEM part is provided (as shown in pic).

This was mine, but didnt fit because of clash with RBC and no time to modify.

AEM V2 - This is an open cone filter design induction kit that is located in the engine bay, the dual core aluminium tubing is designed to maximise air flow. £250-£300. The filter sits low down in the engine bay, some have discussed the effects of heat soak but in reality this would only ever occur when sitting in traffic for long periods of time on a very very hot day, or doing power runs on a dyno, on the road, you wont notice it. Again installation is very simple, quite a loud induction note due to open cone filter.

This used to be mine....

ARC -

Js racing -

Injen CAI - Same idea as the AEM CAI, filter is located in passenger wheel arch, washer bottle replacement also provided. Pics below.

Mugen -

A.N.Other -

Generally any aftermarket induction kit will see the induction note noticebaly altered and the changeover to vtec much more pronounced and 'old school', like that of the B16 and B18 engines. Gains between kits has been much debate, if you look here http://www.itr-dc5.c...na-car-on-here/ you will probably see that most favour the Gruppe M.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Iirc the mugen isn't supposed to be that good, just a carbon fibre copy of the oem airbox.
And overpriced,

OP edited with some pics. as i say, would be good if people could add to it with useful info.....

Stoo

Whining.....
Injen is pretty much the same as the AEM CAI

Same design really. Also comes with washer bottle replacement.
VERY good gains too. Had one on my 1st DC5

Mark_teg

Staff member
=D>

Good post/idea.

Sticky and PM the link to every new member on registration (as well as insurance, explanation of the 1.8/2.0 fact, all other daily reoccuring threads) :idea:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Sticky and PM the link to every new member on registration (as well as insurance, explanation of the 1.8/2.0 fact, all other daily reoccuring threads) :idea:
Thats the idea, id like to make an exhaust one too, because it seems the exhaust catalogue video and endless threads aren't enough info...maybe a useful sticky listing cost, db levels, looks, gains etc would help reduce duplicated threads.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Injen is pretty much the same as the AEM CAI

Same design really. Also comes with washer bottle replacement.
VERY good gains too. Had one on my 1st DC5
Yeh the guys in the states llike the injen i think. You got any good pics of it stu?

Stoo

Whining.....
This is all I have mate, Tatty old pics!!! LOL
No pic of the washer botle though....

mikegsi

Staff member
i disagree about heatsoak on the v2 only occuring on a very very very hot day when sitting in traffic for any length of time.

the air can be as cool as a really cold cucumber as its coming in, but the actual piping itself is sat in the engine bay and metal conducts heat, hence the cold air going through a hot pipe will heat up........

heat shields will help but not totally get rid of the heatsoak.

IMO short ram kits are best suited for FI applications where the air is superheated in the turbo before going through the intercooler to bring it right back down.

On NA applications I personally would stick with OEM setup over a short ram. The only gains are noise.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
I see your point mike, metal does conduct. But the same cool air thats flowing in will cool the pipe as well as be sucked in at the filter. With its position in the bay, the V2 will be cooled from the air running up the underside of the bonnet. When i had mine, i read lots of things about heat soak, so i was forever worried about it. even after a spirited drive, the V2 wasnt that hot to the touch, it was warm, but certainly not untouchable like the cam cover is. And with the speed that the air flows into the IM, i dont think it has a sigficant amount of time to heat up enough to produce heat soak, certainly not that i ever experienced or noticed.

Also the V2 is dual chambered, so the inner surfaces of the kit will not be as warm as the outer surfaces.

But on a dyno or on a hot day in traffic, where air flow is restricted, i do think it could suffer, mine did on the dyno, experienced 1-2 bhp losses on consecutive runs. But since im up in scotland, i never had to worry about experiencing a hot day!

Unarguably, it's location isnt favourable, it could be subjected to more heat than other kits, but IMHO and experiences, heat soak wouldnt ever occur with regular road or track use.

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
Does anyone have any recent thoughts about the Comptech Icebox? There is one on ebay that I'm interested in, I want to keep the OEM look and noise, but do they even give any gains? I've used the search function but all the information is a bit confused and jumbled.

Has anyone yet done a before and after on a dyno with it on?

Also, that would be useful to post with the different intakes, to see what some could expect to see gain-wise?

Cheers.

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
Get an Intake that is gonna compliment the Vtec, you cant even hear it with a standard airbox
I'd rather keep things quiet for now! I've told you Lee, OEM as Fornicate! :twisted:

Does the Hondata mod do anything to the noise?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I'd rather keep things quiet for now! I've told you Lee, OEM as Fornicate! :twisted:

Does the Hondata mod do anything to the noise?
Such a Tart :xkiss:

Doubt it will make any difference to noise that is noticable, just bite the bullet and get an intake it wont be noisey
until it hits Vtec and by that time your making a racket by screaming the engine anyway but it will just sound
alot better :xcheers:

PS OEM IS Boring :wink: