Injector flush through.

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
My mate has an EM1 with an ITB'd High Comp B18 and it was running super rough (misfiring, flatspots and hesitating) between 1000-4000rpm and couldnt really get it past 4000rpm we tried loads of things then spoke to Andrew Baird (The Man) at Automek who suggested to have a look at the injectors and fuel pump.

So we decided to strip the injectors off and flush them through with carb cleaner(a few where squirting and not misting up very well). Once we done that the car ran almost faultless apart from a small blip between 3000 and 4000rpm underload.

This gave me an idea to do it to my own car and see how the spary was after 10 years of use. The spray wasnt super but after a good flush through they were a fantasic mist :D

Thought I could share this and make a quick DIY on the cleaning.

Best to do this when the car is cold due to the fuel involved.

Firstly disconnect the battery and leave the car for about 15 minutes, if you have an inlet manifold cover remove that, then remove the connectors from the injectors and the earth at the back of the rail, then the 2 12mm nuts holding the fuel rail to the inlet manifold.

Carefully then remove the fuel feed to the rail, (wrap with a rag or something to catch the excess fuel) pull the rail out evenly and cover the open end of the fuel rail feed with a rag.

You should then have this.

All I have done in this picture is removed a C clip then took an injector out.

Next you want to get a car battery, and 2 wires so you can open and close the injectors. As you look down the injector the power (red) is on the right pin, earth is on the left.

I then made this device so that i could create a small amount of pressure before I opened the injector to flush it through.

I then connected this to the injector.

Pressurised the chamber, (you can see a small amount of fluid(Carb Cleaner) building up in the chamber)

Then connect the Power (red wire) to the injector and battery, connect the earth (black wire) to the injector only just now. To purge the injector you want to tap the earth wire off the negitive terminal so it is like a quick pulse, DO NOT HOLD THE WIRE ON THE TERMINAL FOR MORE THAN ONE SECOND AT A TIME, this is to insure that you do not damage the injector. When the wire is tapped off the terminal you will hear a small click, this is the injector opening.

You then want to repeat this process a few times, then turn the injector around and flush it the other way through it. I did this direction of flow then reverse direction method 2 or three times per injector and seen a noticeable difference in spray pattern.

Once you have done one injector put it back on the rail and take another, once completed replace the rail back on to the car and put the car back together, being careful not to damage the injectors.

This should definitly only be carried out by someone who is confident working on their vehicle, as it does involve petrol and could be a dangerous task. Those who do this do so at their own risk.

Many Thanks

Paul

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Makes complete sense after reading it over a couple of times and understanding that its the pressure from the carb cleaner that's pushing the fluid through, the injector just acts like a valve right?

Seems simple enough, im planning on cleaning out my throttle body and IACV soon which is bound to be gunked up after 11 years use, so I think I may do this at the same time, bound to add at least a 1000BHP!

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how much this smooths out the throttle, have you only just done this or have you done a bit of road testing since, whats the difference like?

Nice guide and pics, thanks for sharing xthumbup

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have had mine done by a professional company for £65! And they replaced the seals and filter. Done a reverse clean through to and have a print out of the before and after flow rate.

Good guide though.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
I have had mine done by a professional company for £65! And they replaced the seals and filter. Done a reverse clean through to and have a print out of the before and after flow rate.

Good guide though.
How long does something like this take?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I think it was a 3/4 day turn around. As soon as they receive them they do them that day and send them back out. My flow rate went from 84 to 89.

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
This only took about an hour and a half at most really :)

And yes there is a difference car feels tighter in a sense, picks up easier from low revs and holds the revs better.

It makes sense really that it should make a difference because better atomisation of fuel increases the surface area of fuel being burned which leads to better and more complete combustion.

Easiest way to think about it is what burns quicker a block of wood or saw dust?

So a finer mist of fuel is better than a squirt of fuel.