Injen CAI Vs Spoon Drop-In

phil_444

Advanced Member
Sorry guys to revisit a "hot" topic but my car is not too far from been with me now and I am looking at my first mod's.

If your cars were stock, which of the above would you choose if you were interested in the best power gain? :roll:

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
If its just out of those two choices, then with out a doubt the Injen CAI (that goes into the wing) not the one that sits in the engine bay....

More power, runs cooler and sounds the dogs...

But if you have £500 in your pocket to burn then go for the Gruppy

UW

T666YPR

If you've got £325 then we've got proof that the Spoon drop-in filter with a 5Zigen carbon air intake produces excellent results,and you don't have to remove anything when opening your bonnet like the Gruppe M :D

Bonus:You can still upgrade to the Mugen airbox later,as it works with the Zigen(but we have no definite figures for the Mugen)

Spoon Filter

5Zigen Intake

phil_444

Advanced Member
As I thought a contentious topic....

Mark what do you believe the gain to be from the Injen?

Simon has anyone else had the same/similar results from the Spoon?

:?:

T666YPR

Phil,

As far as I know the only results posted for the Spoon filter are mine.

Bear in mind there are no results for the Spoon filter and 5Zigen intake in combination with each other,only after other mods were made and on different days.I would guesstimate that together they will add approx 10hp at the hubs for £325

Paul (DC51VTC) has posted figures for the Gruppe M,which were done on the same dynopack as mine were,so should be able to roughly compare.

Simon

phil_444

Advanced Member
My budget will not stretch to the Gruppe M I am afraid, I am favouring the Injen at the minute and I quite like the look of the special edition gun metal one on http://www.clubrsx.com.

Will this fit though?

ivtec-itr

Hi people.. NewB here..

I am also in the market for an intake for my car (Aust dc5R) and was wondering if anybody has had experiences with the mugen airbox?

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
phil_444 said:
My budget will not stretch to the Gruppe M I am afraid, I am favouring the Injen at the minute and I quite like the look of the special edition gun metal one on http://www.clubrsx.com.
Will this fit though?
I've got the Injen CAI on my car. You definitely need only the one which fits the USA Type-S (fits straight on) as any others wont fit. No point really going for fancy colours of pipe cause you dont see it when fitted cause it's under the battery tray.
I'm more than happy with mine but it does through up an interesting debate on wether it runs the risk of water being sucked into the intake. It's not really a problem for me as my Teg only comes out when it's sunny and spends most of it's life in the garage (cause I live in Scotland, rain rain rain) so if you use your car for commuting etc I'd probably suggest a drop in filter and if you can afford it, an intake box.

Mind you, fitting the Injen does provide one bonus not mentioned here, it frees up tons of space under the bonnet to fit other goodies ;)

sbm20

Hey FunkyProduct,

What sort of gains have u experienced?? I've heard of mixed reports but I must say the majority have been sensational........! mines' turning up in the next few days!!!
also, a few people I know have the SRI & shit they're loud!!! Too Loud...
I dont think it sounds good at all.........
I've heard the CAI is only half as loud?? this is what i'm hoping for.....

Stu,.

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
I've not heard the short ram - but I'd expect the CAI to be the same loudness - however located outside the engine bay it may actually be a bit quieter inside the car. I dont know what gains fitting the intake has done to my car as I've not dyno'ed it before and after but the car certainly feels faster although this may just be the noise! ;)
C

sbm20

Righteooo.......
I installed the Injen CAI the other night.......after a few cuts to the hands, she was in.....I just used a small trolley jack & a flood light in my garage!!
How faaarkin' cool is this thing..seriously. The noise, power & quality of the product itself is 1st class. It's funny, it doesn't really sound like an intake mod at all....most intake mods end up sounding like "pod on top of throttle body" "Bhraaaarpp" noise, and that sounds like shit...... The Injen sounds more like a set of 'mild cams' had just been installed & mind you, the power increase cirtainly feels that way too. I'm not sure what others have experienced but faaarrkk...this thing rocks!!!!!!!
I'm heading over to the Dyno tomorrow night to see what figure it pulls.
I had it done 2 weeks ago as it was, so this is a good chance to see the difference.
Once again...i'll keep u posted on the results.

Stu.

Splink

Advanced Member
How difficult is it to install? plus are there any pics?

I am thinking of getting a CAI on mine, and currently I dont have access to a garage, so will be an on the drive or on the road thing.

If its quick n easy to install then means I dont have to hunt anyone down with a garage :)

Splink

Advanced Member
thanks muchly.

I have a K&N typhoon intake on there at the moment, is it worth taking it off to put the injen one on there ?

Splink

Advanced Member
Coolio.

I have a K&N typhoon in there at the moment. I think its worth taking it out .. just to get the cold air in there. The car came with it in... so as for performance differences without it, im not sure. Think its worth going for it ?

T666YPR

Depends on which one it is.

If it's the short ram one,then throw it in the bin.

Draws just hot engine bay air in.

sbm20

Splink....

If you are truly after performance & a good induction sound (not that "BRHAAAAAA" :shock: nosie!!) get the Injen CAI...worth every penny IMO. :wink:

sbm20

Sorry no pics as I dont own a digi cam :cry:
Seriously, its an easy job.....took me 3 hours total, but that includes stuffing around & procrastinating!!
If I did it now....1-1.1/2 max.... :wink: