Input shaft bearing concern!

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
After pretty much being 100% that this is the cause of the horrible gravel noise on idle in neutral, clutch up, sound going when clutch is engaged etc I've recently started to hear a grinding of similar sound in all gears at like 1/4 throttle and also decelerating , I originally thought it was intake noise and have checked for split pipes etc to no avail, it's not making it in neutral only when under load, would this be input shaft bearing noise also? Clutch and all necessary bearings/seals are on the way, cars off the road til fixed (sounded that bad), any ideas much appreciated!

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
For me, my input shaft bearing only cause a whine due to a bad wear. Have you tried speaking to Tom at TGM? Hes very knowledgeable on this subject

Foo King Kwik

Advanced Member
I had this, made all sorts of horrible noises when accelerating and de-cellerating. Changed the clutch and that sorted it. There still is a very tiny tiny noise on idle with clutch out which goes when you press it. I get paranoid at noises but my mechanic said it's nothing to worry about at all.

So i'd tend to say the clutch will be your problem. It was the springs in mine, they were knackered, as was the release bearing.

Tom at TGM said his first thought would be clutch springs when i told him the symptoms and turns out he was spot on.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Well I'm speaking to my mechanic tomorrow about it and have everything on order already, once it's done its something I haven't got to worry about as such, gives me a little hope that it's nothing fatal.. I'm guessing if the balls had come out of the bearing, the sound would be horrific, if all else fails Tom and TGM it will be! Cheers for the information guys! Put me at ease a little bit

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Yeah gave Dave at steels a ring and all seals and bearings are on the way, I'm pretty certain I can hear the input shaft bearing whatever the noise under load is, although I'll admit it was a panic buy without having it looked at, bit silly of me considering I've some bits from jono coming and a full respray soon!