insurance advice

phozy888

Advanced Member
Got a friend who insured there car with ecar insurance and cancelled within the cooling period of 14 days.

purchased on 1st mar cancelled on 7th. The insurance company are being right w8nkers as they said at the time of purchase my friend stated that he had 5 years no claims and had to send proof to them but as they had not received this they will be charging at full price 'without no claims' + 75 admin fee + 7 days insurance use. This will be used to calculate the refund price.

so as it stands org price for year was purchased at 275, used for 7 days + 75 admin + no no claims received - Total refund = 61 quid. so basically 210 quid for 7 days to insure the car!!

My friend had emailed them on the 5th stating he wanted to cancel and on the 6th also scanned and emailed them the no claims, photo ID etc. The insurance confirmed cancellation by email on the 7th but state nothing received on the 6th for those documents. The friend also posted by special delivery to them the documents and these arrived on the 9th but they are still refusing to pay up.

so what its like is, if i buy insurance for 1 day and cancel the next day and cannot provide the NCB before cancellation i gotta pay the full price without ncb.... that just doesnt make sense.

i was having a look at there terms and it dont make any sence - http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/

first they say need all documents within 23 days - and now say need docs before cancellation - wtf !!

any advice ?

heres the most recent reply :

I can confirm that your refund has been calculated at £68.06

I can advise you that at inception of your policy you entered that you had 5 or more years No Claims Discount entitlement. As we did not receive proof of this entitlement before your policy cancelled, your refund has been based on 0 years No Claims Discount.

Please find below the breakdown of your refund:

Revised annual premium £605.41 / 365 * 7 = £11.61 Time On Risk

You Paid £275.75 - £11.61 Time On Risk - £75 Cancellation fee - £121.08 Non Disclosure fee = £68.06 Return Premium