Insurance for registration

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I need short term insurance on the teg to get it registered as when I previously tried to get it done, HMRC hadn't filed my NOVA certs in time and the DVLA sent back a rejection letter. I thanked them under my breath when I got the letter as I knew everything had been paid, shit happens I suppose..

I originally insured it for 28 days, which cost me £160. This had run out by the time the DVLA and HMRC had sorted themselves out so I left it alone as I didn't want it's first drive to be on salty roads and I've got other vehicles I can drive.

The weather is getting better so it's time to start the process again. I would rather not pay another £160 for the privilege of having it locked up in the workshop with no suspension, bumpers, wings or fuel tank etc, but I need a certificate to send away with the registration papers.

Any suggestions?

Neil@Greenlight

Authorised Trader
Have you thought about asking someone like TorqueGT or another company with a motor trade policy if they can register the car for you under the trade policy and you pay them a nominal fee?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I haven't thought of doing that no, but I don't see why they would entertain me as I imported the vehicle privately and they don't know me from Adam. I wouldn't expect them to risk their trade policy on somebody they've had no dealings with previously. I know I'm a sound person and the car won't be driving on the road until it's fully insured, but how do they?

Can Greenlight offer me anything? I'm a 30 year old living in a nice area, the car is under lock and key and without several main components that would be required for it to be stolen.

Neil@Greenlight

Authorised Trader
Once you have the insurance registering the car is a relatively quick process so my thinking behind a dealer doing it would be if you paid them £50-£100 it would basically be money in there pocket for less than half hours work.

Sorry mate our system needs a reg number to be input before we can issue a certificate.

Kind Regards
Neil

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Sky insurance insured my dc5 from the chassis number for the registration purposes dude..give them a shout!

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I've always been insured through Sky, and they sorted me out with temp insurance initially to get it registered. Between HMRC and my import agent, they didn't file the NOVA certificate in time so my registration was rejected. Sky have a policy that allows only 2 weeks of temp insurance per year so wouldn't give me any more. The only thing I could do was take out a fully policy which I didn't want to do as it meant I couldn't bounce quotes off each other and had to accept whatever they gave me.