Insurance query

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Although not DC 5 specifically it is linked. In addition to my DC 5 I also run a Honda CB125 F. I have one of a number of secure rented garages, on private land about five hundred yards from my home, a terraced house with no secure means to keep any vehicle. Both would have to be left outside on the side of the road other wise.

I have separate cover for each vehicle and I have for the past ten years for the car and for three years in respect of two bikes declared that each is normally kept in a lock fast garage at YOXX XXX. ON informing my bike insurer of a change of bike I was told that there was no mention of the garage on their documents. Shortly after, the lady I spoke to apologised and admitted that somewhere along the line a mistake had been made. I had had documents from them that showed where the bike was normally kept.

Several days later I received an email from the broker informing me that the insurer wanted some answers to questions they were concerned about. I was asked why the bike wasn't normally kept at home. Explained, terraced house no decent security. They asked if the bike was ever kept at home. Explained, only for cleaning and to drop shopping off.

Their response. Seeing as we are dealing with two separate addresses the theft excess will be £1,100 in the event of a theft from either. That's half the price of my new bike. I'm past explaining that the bike is normally kept in a secure garage and just hoping it doesn't get nicked.

Apologies for the length of the rant I just wish to highlight the fact, that even when you're honest and loyal to your insurers they come up with hurdles to jump over and still they're in a position to penalize you.

Drive and ride safe. Regards. Granty.

impne

Advanced Member
I had similar issue this year for the first time

I always tell them I sometimes park the teg at my parents in their garage about 50yrds away, like my house it has an alarmed garage linked to the house and the address and postcode are the same

It‘s only ever in there when I‘m messing about with one of my other cars

This year the excess for theft was going to jump £300

Seems daft to me as I can see my parents garage from the front of my house but not mine and can clearly hear both alarms if they go off

Just the way insurance is going I guess

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
From what I've seen in the past, declaring the vehicle parked on public road is cheaper than on a driveway and parking in a secure garage is more expensive..

Is it because of the length a thief would have to go through and end up damaging more, such as gates, garage doors etc. and as a result, the insurer would have to pay out more in repairs in the future?

p1tse

Advanced Member
mikey_t8 said:
From what I've seen in the past, declaring the vehicle parked on public road is cheaper than on a driveway and parking in a secure garage is more expensive..

Is it because of the length a thief would have to go through and end up damaging more, such as gates, garage doors etc. and as a result, the insurer would have to pay out more in repairs in the future?
A car insurance wouldn‘t pay out for property damage would they? Although I‘ve heard sometimes garaged cars are more expensive as people damage their cars when parking in it etc.

impne

Advanced Member
Last time I queried the difference it was the same, even though my garage is linked to the house alarm and has cctv in it.
The chap didn‘t know reason it was the same outside as in