Intake air temps

Mebz

Advanced Member
So with the recent warm weather I've been keeping an eye on IAT's with the kpro.

When in traffic and standing around my temps are hitting 49degC, is this safe?

Thinking of selling my ARC and getting a proper CAI like the hybrid racing or injen.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
So with the recent warm weather I've been keeping an eye on IAT's with the kpro.

When in traffic and standing around my temps are hitting 49degC, is this safe?

Thinking of selling my ARC and getting a proper CAI like the hybrid racing or injen.
I can check mine tomorrow on torque app if you want, I‘m running the Aem long arm in the bumper (same as injen)

Mebz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I can check mine tomorrow on torque app if you want, I‘m running the Aem long arm in the bumper (same as injen)
That would be great. How you liking the aem? Easy to fit? Any cutting? Relocating bits?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
That would be great. How you liking the aem? Easy to fit? Any cutting? Relocating bits?
I love it mate, sounds great, great for power gains, only the arch liner needs cutting to fit but I got a spare so could go back to oem if I ever wanted too, although they are designed against hydrolock I have a hydroshield cover on anyway.

Although the engine bay looks a bit bare I actually love it and makes it easy to access things (came in handy when doing the geo) :)

Hobs

Funny enough I have to being messing with keeping an eye on intake temps with the torque app.

I run a Mugen air box and since fitting a tegiwa aluminium rad, I had issue with getting the temps to return to a normal temp while moving. My temps would be fine while first moving from cold, then stop in traffic and heat soak would occour, and once moving again the temps would stay high.

I found having something like the Js scoop created a barrier between the aluminium rad and the intake of the mugem box and this allowed the intake air temps to start dropping once moving again, even after sitting in traffic.

I could see the ARC having a similar issue, if you could get an air duct to pick up air from in front of the rad and run it being the battery it should help.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Hobs said:
Funny enough I have to being messing with keeping an eye on intake temps with the torque app.

I run a Mugen air box and since fitting a tegiwa aluminium rad, I had issue with getting the temps to return to a normal temp while moving. My temps would be fine while first moving from cold, then stop in traffic and heat soak would occour, and once moving again the temps would stay high.

I found having something like the Js scoop created a barrier between the aluminium rad and the intake of the mugem box and this allowed the intake air temps to start dropping once moving again, even after sitting in traffic.

I could see the ARC having a similar issue, if you could get an air duct to pick up air from in front of the rad and run it being the battery it should help.
I've got Carl's replica duct already fitted.

Hobs

Mebz said:
I've got Carl's replica duct already fitted.
Sorry didn't realise you had one fitted already, I find it works well with the Mugen but the mugen picks up right behind that duct

Mebz

Advanced Member
Hobs said:
Sorry didn't realise you had one fitted already, I find it works well with the Mugen but the mugen picks up right behind that duct
Nothing to be sorry for mate .

Probably could do with more ducting, even with the vented bonnet I get some heat in there.

Fez

Advanced Member
Mine was always high, always in the 30‘s, and up to 50° in traffic on a hot day. And took forever to drop again, sometimes it didnt drop

I was lucky enough to dyno test it, and i gained 7hp through most of the rev range by just sticking a heat shield around the filter.
The Hot air coming from rad straight to the filter. IAT‘s were dropped by 7°, so does 1° = 1hp?

I now have my filter right behind a hole in the headlight.
On the road it stays about 15-16°, and when i stop in traffic it goes up to mid-high 20‘s, but drops straight back down soon as i start driving.
On track it stayed 21-23° all day.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Mine was always high, always in the 30‘s, and up to 50° in traffic on a hot day. And took forever to drop again, sometimes it didnt drop

I was lucky enough to dyno test it, and i gained 7hp through most of the rev range by just sticking a heat shield around the filter.
The Hot air coming from rad straight to the filter. IAT‘s were dropped by 7°, so does 1° = 1hp?

I now have my filter right behind a hole in the headlight.
On the road it stays about 15-16°, and when i stop in traffic it goes up to mid-high 20‘s, but drops straight back down soon as i start driving.
On track it stayed 21-23° all day.
You're a lot braver than me, I couldn't cut a hole in the headlight....

ste01

Advanced Member
Best thing I did was make a new grill, beatrush under tray and custom version of the OEM airbox. Even in traffic would be around 40 degrees