Interesting letter from Honda

carfiend

Advanced Member
Just wondering if anyone else received a letter from Honda saying that you needed to change your cambelt. Now at first I thought "thats nice it shows they care" then like a vast wall of bricks it hit me. I don't have a cam belt...

Now this might just be my ignorance but timing chains only need replacing when the engine is rebuilt or fate conspires to bend you over and service the account?

rick c

Advanced Member
Doesn't the timing chain need to be changed? Surely it can't be expected to last 15+ years and 150k+ miles...

carfiend

Advanced Member
I bought it from a Churches in West Sussex. I am fairly sure that timing chains are rated for replacement at rebuild.

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
rick c said:
Doesn't the timing chain need to be changed? Surely it can't be expected to last 15+ years and 150k+ miles...
Chains are normally done as required, rather than being a timed service item. They don't suffer the same catastrophic failure as belts, and make a hell of a racket long before anything really bad happens, at which point you change them.

On my Mercedes I'm not expecting to give them any sort of consideration until 200k+

rick c

Advanced Member
I've had a cambelt snap on my 306 before, was bloody expensive to fix :(

I love Honda :D

adam.

Advanced Member
I had the same letter from Johnson's Honda in Beaconsfield, was tempted to book it in and see what happened. :lol:

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Ian, DC5 doesn't have a cambelt :? :? :?
Yes i know,

Honda don't specifically exclude the Integra, they do however exclude the S2000 and NSX and by chance they also have timing chains and maybe that is wht they are excluded, the FN2 also have a timing chain and that is not exculded! There is also no mention in the small print thay it has to be a UK car.

I would be prepared to argue the point with them.

carfiend

Advanced Member
adam. said:
I had the same letter from Johnson's Honda in Beaconsfield, was tempted to book it in and see what happened. :lol:
Ahhhh now it all makes sense. I went there to get some touch up paint and of course without thinking gave them all the details blah blah blah. So mystery solved. A dealer in Beconsfield is spamming anyone who comes in for cam belt changes :roll:

linzi94

Advanced Member
im not surprised to be honest as even service desk operatives dont know what car has a belt or a chain.... also, i work at a dealership and they send me reminders of mot's and even call my house offering services... even tho im staff. :|

andytyperr

Advanced Member
linzi94 said:
im not surprised to be honest as even service desk operatives dont know what car has a belt or a chain.... also, i work at a dealership and they send me reminders of mot's and even call my house offering services... even tho im staff. :|
i get that as well,even had a call on my mobile whilst i have been in the workshop asking if i want to book a service :roll: :roll:

Grangey

Advanced Member
i has one aswell. despite the fact they have no idea what year my h22a is produced, and what the milage is. sounds likek theyr just despirate for money!