Interior passenger plastic pillar popped out?

coconat

Advanced Member
Hi guys, so I was driving home today along a fairly smooth road and the passenger interior plastic pillar just popped out, it eventually dropped completely after I limped over a speed bump just about to pull into my estate, scared me to death as it made an awful noise thought something had hit my window- the clip holding what I assume to be something for the old headunit (looks like an earphone) also broke leaving the wire now loose/dangling, clip felt very fragile to begin with.

I managed to pop it back into place once parked up but it took a good ten minutes as I didn't want to break it further- it's back in but keeps popping back out and i'm worried it will do it again over a bump.

Has anyone had this happen before? Is this common? :|

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Nothing Gordon can't solve! ;)

But I don't think its common? first time I seen such thing on the DC5 but then again, I only had a year so can't say that much about faults lol.

coconat

Advanced Member
I knew I would eventually find a fault on mine that noone else has had lol

coconat

Advanced Member
The clip that broke is not essential to the pillar it's just the sticky out bit attached to the plastic of the pillar, can't be replaced :/ will just have to secure it in with something non-permanent

davidpingu

Advanced Member
You could just order another trim? There are a few pieces of Honda trim where it uses a sort of sticky sponge, the outside door pillar trim comes to mind. Once it's lost its stickiness it does mean the trim isn't as secure as it could be.

The reason this has happened is because the trim has been removed to fit the interior alarm sensors. (the earphone thing you mention)

Obviously if you were to buy a new trim you'd need to fit the sensor in to the new piece before you fit it.

There are probably alternatives to buying new like a double sided sticky tape but most pieces of trim are fairly cheap from somewhere like steels. Probably circa £15 I'd imagine :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
There are probably alternatives to buying new like a double sided sticky tape but most pieces of trim are fairly cheap from somewhere like steels. Probably circa £15 I'd imagine :)
Personally I would say double or even triple that figure Dave. For instance, the stereo surround with no hazard switch is £65!!! 😳

But as Dave says Nat, I would just get some double sided tape or even Velcro. That way you can take it off without making a mess of it! 👍

Also it's the first time I've heard of it. But if someone has installed an aftermarket alarm then that could have caused it.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Hi nat, chances are that trim was not put back on properly when they did the alarm if you look there are 2 plastic type shape domes (1 white & 1 black on trim)see if they are damaged in any way (replace if so) they line up with the holes on the A-piller line them up and push hard they should just snap in place, make sure all wires are tucked away only reason am saying this i use to fit windscreens so i know what a pain these trims can be! hope this helps

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Leave it off and come see me (off all day today if that helps) as after that "Find" the other day it might be ideal to trace and remove those excess.

Shouldn't be a big issue and sure a temp fix could be put in till you get the parts you need (if any).

Gordon

coconat

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the great answers guys appreciate it, I'll have another look later today and go for a test drive to see if it stays put, if not I may need to secure it with the tape or something just a shame the clip holding the sensor is now broken, only a tiny thing but things like that really bug me.

It does have an aftermarket alarm so was possibly removed then which compromised the plastics secureness.

Cheers Gord, I'll get it temporarily secured for now and come see you after work this week or maybe weekend- would love to sort out those wires as well as now I know about them they are bugging me too.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Yeah havent managed to stop thinking about those bloody wires lol

Will sort out sometime this week/weekend ;)

coconat

Advanced Member
They haven't popped back out so not going to spend £39 just yet ;) If they do it again i'll try the cheap option but they seem secure again so fingers crossed, thanks all, wonder if it was maybe the heat inside the car that had affected the two bits holding it in somehow?