ipod, wat to do??

omadc5

Advanced Member
Ive a sony cd/cassette double din head unit, but i want to be able to listen to my ipod in the car, i see there is quite a few different types of gadjets that connect to the ipod and tunes into a station on your radio.
Has anyone any experience with these, are they any good?
Or would i be better to change the stereo for an ipod compatible one?

LeeH

Advanced Member
The best way forward but not the cheapest is to get one of the Alpine HU's...mine is great but there are some cheaper ones in the range.

It by passes the iPOD decoder and uses the Alpine decoder in the HU.....quite trick tbh.

They duplicate the navigation menu on a TFT screen and also they connect via a USB connection. This is a lot faster then the old 'full speed' connection.

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?id=5 ... variation=

HTH

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
I went for the alpine HU, it has a media expander to make the music sound much better too, and i wouldn't have anything else! Love it

Option

Advanced Member
Not for the teg, but i got one of those radio transmitter items for my daily and i think its fine to be honest.

£15 from sainsburys... Bargain!!!!!

Stu

LeeH

Advanced Member
drivebymonkey said:
just remember how crappy the dc5 ariel is.

ive got the alpine ida x001 and its spot on.
Yep, they're the bollox.

The x100 is the same but with a few nice tweaks.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
remember these options are to have control of the ipod via your headunit, by far the simplest way to get (decent) quality sound from your ipod is to just use the line-in (aux-in) on a stereo if it has one, and use the line-out of the ipod (unfortunately, you need an adapter cuz the proper line out comes form the connector at the bottom), or the earphone jack although this is not quite as good.

I'm looking at getting the Pioneer F900BT, so i'll have satnav and phone integration and the aux in for the ipod but a lot of people on this forum go on about Alpine stuff, is there maybe an Alpine version of what i want that would be better maybe?

redcap

Advanced Member
Don't get an iTrip or other similar things. They are rubbish. The older Alpine head unit's are poor for user interface. Mine bugs the hell out of me. I'd like to try the latest ones as the interface is like your ipod allegedly.

LeeH

Advanced Member
redcap said:
Don't get an iTrip or other similar things. They are rubbish. The older Alpine head unit's are poor for user interface. Mine bugs the hell out of me. I'd like to try the latest ones as the interface is like your ipod allegedly.
Yes the x100 mimics the iPOD navigation.

mikegsi

Staff member
what used to bug me was having to turn the ipod off every time i knocked the car off, although it would pause the track it didnt automatically turn the ipod off

has that changed with the newer units??

i have one of the fm transmitters at the moment and it works well enough, though quailty is definately compromised

LeeH

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
what used to bug me was having to turn the ipod off every time i knocked the car off, although it would pause the track it didnt automatically turn the ipod off

i have one of the fm transmitters at the moment and it works well enough, though quailty is definately compromised
I'm sure it does as I don't touch mine for months, just turn on the HU and away you go.

tedg

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:

if the ipod is paused then i think it will power down after some time

jay82

Advanced Member
tedg said:
mikegsi said:

if the ipod is paused then i think it will power down after some time
yea it does u can set the ipod to turn off after power is stopped, i do leave it in the car weeks on end,

i've the pioneer avic-d3. it looks sweet in the dash and u can adjust the lights to match your dials.

it has a g meter on the screen aswell :D