is 110 ron/octane ok?

Vindots

Advanced Member
NZ gull petrol station is introducing the new high octane to sell to the public..
it is 110 ron fuel..

would this be fine on our jdm dc5 with 11.5 compression?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
HOW MUCH!? lol

You sure its not 101?

*Edit, just looked it up..... 110 is insane... I'm moving to NZ!

Vindots

Advanced Member

Gull is proud to launch Gull Force Pro, the latest in a line of improvements Gull brings to the New Zealand fuel industry. Gull Force Pro brings you

• Extreme Octane (>110 RON Octane!)

• Extreme Power & Torque

• Extreme benefits for you and the environment

Gull Force Pro is a specialty high performance fuel made from a blend of 85% bioethanol and 15% premium petrol i.e., an E85 fuel. Gull Force Pro is designed for use in Flexible Fuel (FlexFuel) vehicles which are able to run on any blend from E10 to E85, as well as normal petrol should the need arise. Holden has launched FlexFuel capable vehicles in the New Zealand market in 2010. It can also be used in specifically designed high performance motor racing engines, i.e., motor sports and rally cars.

Gull Force Pro is NOT suitable for standard vehicle engines or fuel systems and may cause serious damage. Consult with your vehicle's manufacturer before use.

http://www.gull.co.n...gull-force-pro/

rotabeast

Gull is proud to launch Gull Force Pro, the latest in a line of improvements Gull brings to the New Zealand fuel industry. Gull Force Pro brings you

• Extreme Octane (>110 RON Octane!)

• Extreme Power & Torque

• Extreme benefits for you and the environment

Gull Force Pro is a specialty high performance fuel made from a blend of 85% bioethanol and 15% premium petrol i.e., an E85 fuel. Gull Force Pro is designed for use in Flexible Fuel (FlexFuel) vehicles which are able to run on any blend from E10 to E85, as well as normal petrol should the need arise. Holden has launched FlexFuel capable vehicles in the New Zealand market in 2010. It can also be used in specifically designed high performance motor racing engines, i.e., motor sports and rally cars.

Gull Force Pro is NOT suitable for standard vehicle engines or fuel systems and may cause serious damage. Consult with your vehicle's manufacturer before use.

http://www.gull.co.n...gull-force-pro/
We had E85 over here in Ireland for a while with Maxol which was very tidy, but it never impacted the market that much so they phased it out. They're 'normal' unleaded is still E5 though which is about 99 RON I think. My brother in law had his Altezza running on E85 with a kit he bought that kept the fuel injectors opened slightly longer than normal to allow more of the fuel in as it wasn't as combustible as petrol with the same set up etc - but no re-map necessary, as the stock ECU was so-called 'self learning'. Was lovely to drive behind though as it smelled like whiskey! :D
At the time, 95 RON petrol was about €1.20 and this stuff came in at around €0.90. Kept the oil nice and clean too as left very little by means of deposits in the engine.
All in all it was terrific! There were some claims that Bio - ethanol corroded fuel lines, but don't believe it as it was complete trollop...

Am thinking a trip to New Zealand is on the cards in the not so distant future...anyone care to hire an oil-tanker with me?? :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
e85 was available here too, it was ok in turbo cars but would not really make any difference in an N/A car, Personally i would not use or recomend using it, it is not really 110 octane , but because of the ethanol content having great antiknock properties it can make 10% more power in a turbo car so it is classed as an equivalent.

However, really you need bigger injectors and remap, as you need to be able to flow 20-25% more for the same powerputput.

there is no real evidence it will corrode lines but having run 100% methanol fuel and various mixes in other cars in the past which certainly does corrode all sorts of stuff i would think over time it would not do it any good.

Vindots

Advanced Member
oh,, so in short that fuel is only designed to br used for turbo engines and not factory k20aR? that make sense though.. we've got 98 ron here in NZ so i think tha'd be enough...

Vindots

Advanced Member
oh,, so in short that fuel is only designed to br used for turbo engines and not factory k20aR? that make sense though.. we've got 98 ron here in NZ so i think tha'd be enough...

Stoo

Whining.....
Petrol doesn't corrode plastic.

The majority of fuel tanks and lines are made of plastic.

Meth/ethanol are known to have corrosive properties to fuel lines and takes of metallic construction.

rotabeast

Petrol doesn't corrode plastic.

The majority of fuel tanks and lines are made of plastic.

Meth/ethanol are known to have corrosive properties to fuel lines and takes of metallic construction.
But you can use petrol to 'melt' the radon barrier or part of it, layed down in the foundation of a house; and it's made of plastic..And i remember having petrol in a plastic can for a few weeks and using it in the lawnmower and it wouldn't start..the small machine repair guy said that the petrol i'd used had plastic deposits in it which clogged up the engine of the mower.. But then again, there are many types of plastic, so me saying that they all corrode with petrol is a bit of a blanket statement, and I may be wrong on this account..

I guess there are arguments for and against the use of this stuff...especially when it comes to it ruining fuel lines and the like..different people will have different experiences of it..From personal experience, the power gains were noticeable once the car was set up correctly and the correct 'blend' of petrol and bio-ethanol was used and in the 18 months that it was used as fuel the fuel lines didn't corrode. But then again that is only my impression and opinion of the stuff :)

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
e85 was available here too, it was ok in turbo cars but would not really make any difference in an N/A car, Personally i would not use or recomend using it, it is not really 110 octane , but because of the ethanol content having great antiknock properties it can make 10% more power in a turbo car so it is classed as an equivalent.

However, really you need bigger injectors and remap, as you need to be able to flow 20-25% more for the same powerputput.
I've never seen a NASP K-series tuned on e85 make less than an extra 10hp over pump fuel
The rule of thumb is another third of your current max injector duty cycle is required for 15% ethanol

As soon as e90 / e85 comes to the UK - i'm on it!

timp

Advanced Member
It will make no difference unless the car is mapped on it and the timing adjusted accordingly