Is it best to have best tyres at front or rear?

p1tse

Advanced Member
If getting a pair of new tyres is it best to rotate the wheels to ensure the new/ best tyres are at the front or back?

James-T

Advanced Member
I've always put the better tyres on the rear to stop any unwanted oversteer catching me out - understeer is more controllable.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
I prefer grip up front, saves the front washing out. If the back slides just power out of it.

HR Imports

Parts Trader
Usually best tyres go on the drive wheels so for Teg it would be up front.

If you have same tyres all round though and you are just replacing a set I usually switch rears to front and put the new ones on the back. Reason is if you don't do high mileage or work your tyres hard they can actually start to perish and crack before they wear out which is a bit of a waste really!

So switching older tyres to front just uses them up a bit quicker

nellly

Advanced Member
most people should have new tyres on the back as James says. you can control it a lot more when one end lets go.

integraleo

Advanced Member
But if back steps out slightly it's so easy to control with throttle on the teg. Let's be honest unless the rear tyres are proper ditch finders ( in which case you need a slap) you won't notice it on the road. Best tyres on front

Mark_teg

Staff member
I used to put new on the front.
As said above, as long as the rears are ok you'll be fine. The rears might struggle with deeper water, in which case you should be driving sensible anyway.

Most people on the road have odd tyres on each corner, you'll be fine Patch :)

Rom

Advanced Member
There are arguments for putting better tyres on the steering wheels, and the driven wheels.

On a FWD, i always would put the best / new ones on the front. As they are steering and driving.
If you cant control the back end of a fwd car, you have more to worry about than new tyres.

James-T

Advanced Member
A whole mix of opinions. To be honest with the sorts of tyres us lot run, it doesn't really matter where you put them. We'd never run tyres so low that they would become an issue on either axle. (I'd hope)

As Mark said, there's people out there running 4 different tyres, different tyre treads, pressures, and quality. If for example you're sticking a set of AD08s with 3-4mm on the back and new ones up front (or vice versa) there really won't be any issues.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I always make sure the rears are A1, would rather have to control under than over steer at pace on the twisties

Sent from my Z10 using tapatalk 2

Mebz

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
I always make sure the rears are A1, would rather have to control under than over steer at pace on the twisties

Sent from my Z10 using tapatalk 2
I agree.

I find it counter intuitive to apply more power when the back starts coming around, especially on track. I've got a lot to learn though.

I'd be worried about the car snapping in the other direction as well when powering out.

integraleo

Advanced Member
As stated unless the rears are completely and utterly knackered it really won't be noticeable. And if your flat out on the road or a track with tyres that are that bad you really should be blaming yourself not the tyres.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Front for me. I love oversteer. But aside from open empty roundabouts, I save the hero oversteer driving for the track when it's oversteer at a fast pace.

And it doesn't matter as you should have the best tyres possible in a good enough condition. If you can't afford to have good condition tyres on a £6k+ car then quite frankly GTFO.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the input

It was meant for light hearted discussion, as shown above its a mix preference.
Technically there is an answer to it as stated above, but preference comes to it for sure

It's a daily so fine either way and like you guys pointed out, it's on decent tyres allround :)

beppe786

Beppe
Patch_teg said:
Thanks for all the input

It was meant for light hearted discussion, as shown above its a mix preference.
Technically there is an answer to it as stated above, but preference comes to it for sure

It's a daily so fine either way and like you guys pointed out, it's on decent tyres allround :)
Daily or Track FWD you don't want the back coming out.. i even run slightly less tire pressure on the back just for the extra grip