Is it 'illegal' to have two insurance policies on one car?

lujamil

Advanced Member
So I wanted to get insured on my dad's car for a few days but I have been told that two insurance policies on one car are 'illegal'. I can get temporary insurance from my own policy on the DC5 to insure me on my dads car for a few days but he has his own policy too which is for business use. I wanted to know is it actually illegal to have two policies on one car or is it just something that insurance companies would prefer to avoid? Would I actually get stopped by police for having two policies on one car (although they would both be for different people).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i think the problem could be if there was an accident and you tried to claim off two insurances, why not pm ollie from sky?

lujamil

Advanced Member
i think the problem could be if there was an accident and you tried to claim off two insurances, why not pm ollie from sky?
I understand that there may be a problem amongst the insurance companies but that's not what I'm asking. I want to know if it's legally incorrect to have two policies for one car. And if so, what are the penalties for it. May pm Ollie too.

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
Just as a side.

If you are fully comp on the Teg, and your fathers car is insured to be on the road - technically, unless pointed out to you otherwise buy your insurers, you are third-party covered on it... infact, if you have a valid fully comp policy, this is applicable to any car insured to be on the road IIRC.

If you want more than that, you'd have to become a named driver on the car.

lujamil

Advanced Member
Just as a side.

If you are fully comp on the Teg, and your fathers car is insured to be on the road - technically, unless pointed out to you otherwise buy your insurers, you are third-party covered on it... infact, if you have a valid fully comp policy, this is applicable to any car insured to be on the road IIRC.

If you want more than that, you'd have to become a named driver on the car.
You have to be 25 for that and I'm 21.