Is it just my luck

JamesL

Advanced Member
Drove an EP2 sport previous which had a worn 2nd synchro, due to this I had to granny shift into 2nd otherwise i would get the notorious crunch, picked up my preface 2004 on 35k friday from torque and it has the same problem all the other gears are fine just second gear. I don't race off the lights nor do I lightning shift. Is it me or do Honda make shit gearboxes ?

James-T

Advanced Member
2nd gear is a notorious problem with these boxes, the problem usually gets a bit better after the box is warmed up, though?

JamesL

Advanced Member
I have to hover over it with some pressure and then it slots in, it gets marginally better when it's warmed up but it shouldn't be this bad surely, luckily I still have the warranty through torque and Darren is going to take a look but it's just aggravating.

James-T

Advanced Member
I know the feeling, my first EP3 had it bad, but my DC5 isn't bad at all, only a bit notchy when cold.

When you want to do a fast change from 1st to 2nd and it just crunches.......

Chewy

Advanced Member
Unless you've done so already I'd assume they'll change your gearbox oil and see how you get on.

JamesL

Advanced Member
Luckily I only live 20 mins away, but yeah I think it's the most annoying car problem, just takes all the fun out of driving it after I've spent months waiting for it. Fingers crossed it gets sorted asap

mil1lion

Advanced Member
I had this too but changed the gearbox oil and it was fine. It's still a bit stiffer than other gears but I guess that's intentional to help against going into 2nd instead of 4th by mistake.

beppe786

Beppe
changing gearbox oil helps temp fix problem but it comes back.. happens on all k20s.. once warmed up it shouldn't even be noticeable

davidpingu

Advanced Member
As said above a TF change makes a world of difference and while some recommend Motul and a few others (which I've not tried) I have had 3 different types in my box during ownership and none beat MTF3 for me. I tend to change this on every other engine oil service so typically every 2 years.
2nd doesn't usually crunch for me unless it's really forced while cold. I tend to do exactly what you described and just hover it over 2nd til it gets pulled in. I only ever have this cold and once warmed through its fine. There are a lot more moving parts between 1st to 2nd syncro than any others and once you see these it kind of gives you more of an appreciation for why they may be a bit stiff when cold.
I find just being sympathetic with second until properly warmed through has always helped in my case along with the regular fluid changes.

Dave

ND1989

Mine is the same but as said above it definitely seems temperature dependant. Even when the car has been sat in the sun it doesn't seem to crunch at all. Not too worrying.

Rom

Advanced Member
Get MTF 3 in it and see how that is.
Mine was a fresh import, and admittedly, the change was fine. But it definitely didn't have MTF in it.

JamesL

Advanced Member
I've booked half a day off work Wednesday so I can take it down to them, fingers crossed it can be sorted out. Gearboxes can be such a pain

Teggs

Very interesting Mr Bond! My 45K DC5 is definitely a bit more agricultural from a 1st to 2nd change, and after reading this thread I'm pretty sure that when it gets warm the 'issue' dissapears, I would assume gearbox oil probably takes twice as long to get up to optimal temperature esp. with a steady drive for the 1st 10-15 mins? Is the guy from Opie oils a member on here, what he doesn't know about oil is not worth knowing. Fluids change soon for some MTF so we'll seen what that does.

JamesL

Advanced Member
Going from 3rd down to 2nd is fine it's literally just 1st to 2nd, I'll get the fluid changed asap once torque have had a gander on Wednesday

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
Generally the k boxes wasn't as robust as the b series boxes I test drove quiet a few ep3s before I purchased and the same with my dc5 as I knew 2nd gear synchro can fail due to bad gear changes, mtf 3 should help

C2AXG

Advanced Member
just another quirk you learn to live with in a k20 same as the kangaroo symptom.
just learn to drive it differently than your average car,

Kellsled

Advanced Member
So happy my fresh import facelift has a factory fresh box gearbox is so tight and precise I'd of cried if it crunched,had nothing but bother with motors so it had to be a good one. Hope you get it sorted mate

JamesL

Advanced Member
It seems like if I depress the clutch wait a couple seconds and then go for second it's fine obviously this is no good for getting away fast in situations