Is the DC5 restricted to 180kph out of Japan ?

Ken A

Advanced Member
Ive heard this but not too sure how true it is. I know the instrument readss 180kph max. If this is the case, what needs to be done to lift this restriction and is it expensive ?

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
Ken A said:
Ive heard this but not too sure how true it is. I know the instrument readss 180kph max. If this is the case, what needs to be done to lift this restriction and is it expensive ?
Number wise it goes to 180km/h as do all cars not of the kei class, these are limited at 140km/h. Easily bypassed with such units as the A'pexi RSM, HKS SLD or others of the same nature, essentially they just fool the ECU's signal to not register 180km/h. I still have my A'pexi RSM attached, but I believe the K-Pro also eliminates the speed limiter since it is now based off of the PRB ecu.

The A'pexi unit can be had for like ¥30000 and it's just a couple wires that need to be tapped into the wiring harness. Should be able to do it yourself and in about 30 minutes.

Here is a wiring diagram that I made up long ago.
RSM wiring red wire to red pinout on diagram, black wire to dark grey pinout, yellow wire to green pinout and for the speed cut function cut the wire from the pink pinout, the pink wire from the RSM connects to the wire at the ECU and the purple wire connects to the wire running to the engine compartment.
Though this is most likely only good for July01-July05 DC5Rs. As the new models I believe have a new ECU, but I have not verified this with my dealer here.

kingston

Advanced Member
BUt if you live in the UK and buy from an importer, it will come de-limited or theres always Duncs who will sell you the necessary stuff, should you be importing yourself

Tarmac

Advanced Member
Ken - as above, an RSM will sort you out. I (along with many others) have one fitted in my Teg and it was an excellent buy.

Ken A

Advanced Member
Cheers Tarmac .
Where can they be bought in ireland or does it have to come from the UK?

And secondly, how much dosh ?? :-k

Tarmac

Advanced Member
You can buy one from Couture Auto. www.couture-auto.com

Their number is: 01 8253949

I can't remember how much they are as I got mine over a year ago. Give them a call for the current pice - I do know they are quite affordable though.

macer

Advanced Member
As Tarmac said the RSM is a good bit of kit, its a good for messing around with also :)

cspeedy

de-limit

Didnt realize the dc5 were limited to 140kph.this will probably be my first mod then (for track work of course :D )

Ken A

Advanced Member
Re: de-limit

cspeedy said:
Didnt realize the dc5 were limited to 140kph.this will probably be my first mod then (for track work of course :D )
180kph :wink:

cspeedy

derestriction

Limited to 180 kph thats ok i suppose :lol: what top speed would you be able to achieve(theoretically) if you de-restrict

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Re: derestriction

cspeedy said:
Limited to 180 kph thats ok i suppose :lol: what top speed would you be able to achieve(theoretically) if you de-restrict
Heres a can of worms and a can opener!!

Varys mate tbh!!

Ken A

Advanced Member
Apparently, theyre good for 150mph without any mods.

I havent de-restcicted mine yet so havent been able to tell !
I have had it die at 180kph though :roll: :roll: :cry: