ITR - RUST!

Danith

Hi all,

Probably seen me flooding the forums and FB pages with wanted ads for a DC5.

One's on a site for sale that seems a decent spec etc, ideal for me, nothing too heavy but not std.

It's been 'Fully under-sealed and wax oiled a week ago'

but on the MOT check it comes up with:

22/03/2017
Pass

Mileage:
70,399 miles

Mileage Notes

1. The mileage recorded at this MOT is below average for a vehicle of this age. (Average mileage of 119300)

Advisory Notices
1.Front brake pad(s) wearing thin n/s & o/s inner pads (3.5.1g)
2.Various under body areas starting to rust / corrode

Would this ring alarm bells? Rust got the better of my E36 and I am not going down that road again.

Thanks

Dan

nails

Advanced Member
Danith said:
Hi all,

Probably seen me flooding the forums and FB pages with wanted ads for a DC5.

One's on a site for sale that seems a decent spec etc, ideal for me, nothing too heavy but not std.

It's been 'Fully under-sealed and wax oiled a week ago'

but on the MOT check it comes up with:

22/03/2017
Pass

Mileage:
70,399 miles

Mileage Notes

1. The mileage recorded at this MOT is below average for a vehicle of this age. (Average mileage of 119300)

Advisory Notices
1.Front brake pad(s) wearing thin n/s & o/s inner pads (3.5.1g)
2.Various under body areas starting to rust / corrode

Would this ring alarm bells? Rust got the better of my E36 and I am not going down that road again.

Thanks

Dan
Yes, avoid this one mate.

I rung the guy when I was looking for mine, the MOT advisory is not good and as soon as I saw that I lost interest in it, he has basically covered the rust up with a load of underseal and has used waxoyl which is not the best stuff these days anyway. It has been for sale for a couple of months at least.

I would wait for one with no rust if I were you xthumbup

Danith

Assumed so - noticed it's been up a while and he's not very good at replying either. Swerved.

nails

Advanced Member
Danith said:
Assumed so - noticed it's been up a while and he's not very good at replying either. Swerved.
Yeah good move :xhappy:

Midnight said:
There is one on cliosport or is this the one you mean?
I saw it on Pistonheads, I'm not a member on cliosport so not sure if it is the same one you are referring to or not................

Midnight

Advanced Member
Just checked, no it doesn't appear to be the same car.

One on cliosport actually looks a nice example. Although it is at the top of OP's budget (£8750) but always room for negotiation 😏

Danith

Midnight said:
Just checked, no it doesn't appear to be the same car.

One on cliosport actually looks a nice example. Although it is at the top of OP's budget (£8750) but always room for negotiation
I have been to see it on sat.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
No joy so far mate? I get mine back Sat (as long as TGM have finished doing a few more bits on it for me) but think it would (if I was to sell it) be over budget :-( The one thing I found with these cars is that they are appreciating and finding a good one is like with the DC2's and EK9's getting harder by the day.

If I do manage to get it up for sale before you find one I will let you know and we can discuss as I could look to de-modify it accordingly and adjust the price etc, just waiting to see if the budget can stretch me for a poss new car and the DC5 replacement.

Mine is however rust free and unblemished :)

Danith

No luck so far. Either don't tick all my boxes or give me a good gut feel or are too much money.

I'm buying at the wrong time when everyone is going on about investments and Yen Vs £! All I want is a good K20 to blast around in and enjoy, couldn't care less about investments etc as then you baby it too much and don't enjoy it. Ahhhhhh well, that's how it's panned out! There's no other car that suits really apart from an FN2.

Cheers keep me posted, if I have to wait til I go Japan next year I guess I'll have to :(

Mebz

Advanced Member
Danith said:
No luck so far. Either don't tick all my boxes or give me a good gut feel or are too much money.

I'm buying at the wrong time when everyone is going on about investments and Yen Vs £! All I want is a good K20 to blast around in and enjoy, couldn't care less about investments etc as then you baby it too much and don't enjoy it. Ahhhhhh well, that's how it's panned out! There's no other car that suits really apart from an FN2.

Cheers keep me posted, if I have to wait til I go Japan next year I guess I'll have to :(
I know the feeling. I blame Brexit....

kingcobwidley

Advanced Member
Patience is the key mate, i waited 6 months plus for mine. The last thing you want to do is blow your budget on a car your not 100% happy with. Good luck with the search 👍

Darren4

Advanced Member
The prices have gone a bit silly tbh, some of the pfl's going for £9.5k with over 100k on the clock is just crazy lol

p1tse

Advanced Member
Darren4 said:
The prices have gone a bit silly tbh, some of the pfl's going for £9.5k with over 100k on the clock is just crazy lol
I know of several which has sold for this

It might be seem silly but the imports are costing similar which need work

Even the uk based ones at £8k need attention!

Ps any mot which mentions rust I would be cautious on a dc5

Mebz

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Did you sell yours before and back in market
Yep. Sold my nhb dc5 a couple of years ago, replaced it with a fn2 turbo. Sold the fn2 a couple of months ago and now I'm looking for something else.

Indi

Advanced Member
IMO prices haven't gone silly at all. If you look around how much the prices of other cars have gone up such as Evo's which there are a lot more of in the UK compared to DC5's.....it's about time DC5's started appreciating in price.