It's time...

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
and the rebuild can begin. FINALLY! It has been a long long 2 months.

For starters-

Hondata K-Pro the proper way to tune a K series

Trap doors closed

Trap doors opened
Had Ron from IPS purchase a new oilpan and bring it over to Joe from Prototype to install his baffle/trap door system. This should prevent the oil starvation from happening again when I am doing gymkana.

Enjo front engine and rear tranny mount. I currently have the Mugen 3 piece kit, it is only about 10% stiffer than stock, I will continue to use the 2 side mounts from the Mugen kit and replace the front engine mount. This should help keep the engine in place because of its increased output.

And the final piece I have been waiting for...

Some new bumpsticks from IPS.

Other goodies going on, C&R aluminum radiator, Samco coolant hoses, Mugen headgasket(up compression to about 11.9:1), low-temp thermo and fan switch, and Hondata IM gasket.

I am hoping once everything is installed and tuned to be at about 275 crank hp or about 230-40whp. Possibly more ;)

Chris

jonster

Advanced Member
Nice toys there Chris.

Are you aware that Hondata recommend against the low-temp thermo and fan switch? I can't remember if it's one or the other or both. I've not really understood why it's a problem but it's something to do with never letting the engine warm up properly. Check the Hondata site or do a search on ClubRSX. I've running the same bits and don't have a problem so maybe it's no big deal.

Bite the bullet and take to the main land to get it tuned properly. You know if makes sense.

Cheers,

Jon

T666YPR

Xmas certainly came 'round quick this year :wink:

Agree with Jon:

Cams,higher comp with the head gasket and K-Pro,it's got to be better to get it all balanced out with a proper tune rather than a shot in the dark.

Really want to see some individual results on the IPS cams too,because there's a few of us sniffing now.Obviously,that would be a little too £££ to keep going the mainland and back everytime though.

Whatever,it's going to be quite a nippy little NA motor there 8)

Simon

Trung

Advanced Member
That Prototype baffle sump looks quite interesting with the trapdoor system.
Does it open when you tilt the oil pan or do you have to push it?

I don't suppose you can get a sideway shot of the C&R radiator next to the stock rad? Just want to compare the thickness of it.

corbie

Advanced Member
I'd love to have a set of those cams

The Enjo mounts do have a fair bit of vibrations to them below 3K, I've got all 3 and the car is a lot tighter, turn in is a lot sharper. :D

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Very nice set up bro. I saw these pictures on honda-tech.com as well. I am on there with the same sn.

Let me know how the IPS cams work for you. I am considering them for my car.

Trung

Advanced Member
corbie said:
The Enjo mounts do have a fair bit of vibrations to them below 3K,
Pretty much all uprated engine mounts will cause vibrations during idling hence why car manufacters use softer mounts.

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
Yes yes, I will try to do something about the dyno. I will attempt this one shop that doesn't really like Hondas, but when I show them what I've got, maybe they will be interested. They are decent tuners when it comes to playing with ECUs, they just like sticking with the Toyboat and Nissan crowd. Well basically turbo setups.

The trap doors will move by themselves when the pan is rotated. Joe (from Prototype) has created a nice little setup.

The Mugen mounts never did create any vibrations inside the cabin when I installed them, of course like I said, they are only about 10% stiffer than the stock mounts. I just didn't think they would be strong enough for the increased power output, so I picked up the Enjo kit (cheap I might add from Jegs.com. And I had the pieces in 4 days. Granted if you guys order from there in the UK, it might take a bit longer and the shipping may cost more, but it might be worth looking into.

When I am down at the dealer today dropping off the goodies, I will try to get a pic of the 2 radiators side by side. It is quite a bit of difference from what my memory recalls.

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
Rad5ator pics...

OK while I was down at the dealer dropping off my stuff, I got 2 pics of the stock vs C&R radiators.

Here they are...

Definitely a HUGE difference.

Mugenk20

Sounds like a very nice setup mate, but what profile are those cams you have?? have you got to uprate valvetrain?

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
You have to change out some components. The cams were somewhat centered around using OEM components. I had to get 16 inner springs and 8 new outer springs, I already had 8 of the required outer springs and the proper dished retainers. The K series seem to have all sorts of combinations, but not one has the recommended setup. The most you will ever have is 50%. The cams will make more power than what the harmonics of the stock components are limited to (about 8500rpm). Ron from IPS is working on Ti retainers at this time to match up with springs from Eibach that should be good for 9500rpm. Of course, our block is only good for about 8800 continually, you can go to 9000 but at that RPM you start to stretch and pull the rods and the pistons are not at all happy. So this setup will be just about perfect for me, what is another 500rpm, my car is a daily driver, is already WAY TOO LOUD for the street that I don't need to add any more noise with a screaming banshee engine note. The stock IM doesn't really make any power above 8200 as well. The increased mid-range punch of the cams coupled with the K-Pro will be enough for daily driving and just add onto the exhilarating time that I already have when doing some spirited driving. Some of the specs are listed on IPS' website. There is a binding agreement not to release exact details of the cams, so that information is all I will provide. Hope you can understand. :)

No problem about the pics Trung, it is about 3 times the width. Cooling should be much improved, at least I am hoping it is. They also already come with a FAL fan attached, much more efficient than the stock fan.

Ayeamgood

Do the enjo motor mounts fit the JDM typeR? I tried getting some ES MM inserts but was told that they would not fit

corbie

Advanced Member
I can confrim that the Enjo mounts do fit as I have them fitted :D The Kit I fitted is the EM03(RSX engine swap).

The tranny mount was the only one that was a pain to put do. The bolts that come with them aren't the best and you are better reusing the orignals.