iTunes

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Right you brainy lot, my laptop is dying so have a replacement, my itunes songs are stored on an external drive connected to my old laptop 275+gb worth. which works with them all and itunes just fine.

when i connect my new laptop to the drive i can see the songs in explorer on the ext drive but not in my new version of iTunes, I can import them but 1 by 1 it will take me about a week???

how do i go about sorting the library??? can i copy a file from the old laptop to thhe new one?? there must be an easy way.

cheers in advance

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
What i did is copied the whole itunes folder, then imported into my new laptop!, you can also, back up everything on to a few dvds, depending on how much music you have.

Also just transfer everything from your ipod into the new itunes,

But on all accounts you will need to authorise the computer for itunes, iirc itunes will only let you authrise 5 computers, so de-authorise your old laptop when everything is done successfully

Does that make any sense?

:)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I have 275 gb worth of music so copying isn't so easy. i'm sure i can import the library whole but can't remember how. just is a couple of files

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
Can you hook up your external drive, and drag and drop the folder with the music files from external in to the itunes folder on the laptop. I've done this before, but again the laptop will need to be authorised

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
now done, just removed a file from the itunes library on new laptop and , then imported the new playlist (same folder type) and imported entire folder with the music on so its still on the external drive, downloaded artwork and hey presto it now works. just another 300cd's to import........at least its raining