I've moved on :O, DC5 to E46 m3

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Yeah the newer v8 is extremely nice, but it's another price bracket ahead..

And fahad, i can only assume you're talking to someone else or trolling, a teg quicker than an e46? Unless it's turbod I don't see how this is possible
No was a genuine question. Ive just seen alot of youtube videos of EP3's beating e46 m3's in striaght line drag races. Thats rolling start and off the line..

Was shocked myself..

Rob R

Advanced Member
I've owned one of these as well. Was always scared something was going to break, mainly the SMG gearbox. Only owned it for about 5 months and eventually came back to a DC5

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Fahadl786 said:
No was a genuine question. Ive just seen alot of youtube videos of EP3's beating e46 m3's in striaght line drag races. Thats rolling start and off the line..

Was shocked myself..
LOL.... there is no chance a standard ep3 could beat an e46... unless... rolling start, m3 in 6th gear at 30mph and ep3 in second then floored it....

Rob R said:
I've owned one of these as well. Was always scared something was going to break, mainly the SMG gearbox. Only owned it for about 5 months and eventually came back to a DC5

looks nice mate, should of got the manual, SMG are riddled with problems and arent as fun to drive with....

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
LOL.... there is no chance a standard ep3 could beat an e46... unless... rolling start, m3 in 6th gear at 30mph and ep3 in second then floored it....
If you go on youtube youd be surprised yourself. Its not always about how much BHP the car has. But yeah i struggle to believe it myself so thought id ask an owner of both worlds! :).

DanielJames

Mark_teg said:
Luke - I wanted the 18s! I prefer the look, have a better ride and tyres are less expensive ;)

James - I was talking to Adam about meeting up when I'm over? Was going to ask Patch and Dave if he's available. All welcome though of course!

Max - Mine has just had an inspection 1 at BMW, which was a highlight when buying. Currently averaging 26mpg, which I thought was ok. Can guzzle around town, but fine on a run.
The OEM 18s look so much better. I can't stand the 19s, good choice!

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
I think people are confused about the wheels, the car came with the deep dish 3 piece rims, I changed them to the CSL style wheels, which are an oem wheel and suit the car much better since it already has the CSL bumper and bootlid.

As regards which is quicker, A properly set up dc5 on sticky rubber would destroy my m3 in a twisty road at the moment, and probably have it to 60mph from a standing start aswel, but after 60 mph the m3 would sail away into the distance in a drag race, these m3's do 100mph in 3rd. They are a little heavier I'll admit, but they still have around 100 bhp more than a mapped dc5, and 3 times the torque.

However once I put on a decent set of tyres on it, and tighten up the suspension, the m3 should out pace a standard stage 1 dc5 in any scenario. after all, these are a 40-50k luxury super car, it's nice that they can be bought for 10k these days

As regards running costs, this is where an m3 lets itself down,

An oil change on a dc5 cost me about 45 quid doing it myself, for the oil and filter alone, it was 120 quid for the m3, Luckily I can do basic maintenance myself, but if you take your car to the dealership for every bolt turn, I wouldn't advise getting an m3.

bennn

Advanced Member
Lovely cars boys.

I've also moved onto an E46, although as I sold my Teg to put towards house deposit I've only got the 330CI Clubsport.

Its definitely a lot of car for the money but reliability hasn't been its strong point; although its only electrical issue's I've had so far (fuel gauge, parking sensors, central locking motor) and all have been cheap fixes.

I also had some rust to deal with when i got it which is very very common on the 46.

Hopefully when I've got the house sorted and can afford to run something a bit more exotic again I'll be upgrading to an M3 although it will have to be an E36 for me!

Here's mine:

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I would love an M3 but the fear of something going wrong always puts me off. How come a company with such an expensive / good reputation cause so much fear about things going wrong and issues with reliability. We have an e46 touring at home and every time I am at home there is something new wrong with it. The management light is like a Christmas light, it just comes on and off all the time when ever it feels like it.

Anyway that's besides the point. Your M3 looks great I really like the CSL kit and I bet the torque feels great. I would think the m3 must be a car on everybodys list to own at some stage.

bennn

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
I would love an M3 but the fear of something going wrong always puts me off. How come a company with such an expensive / good reputation cause so much fear about things going wrong and issues with reliability. We have an e46 touring at home and every time I am at home there is something new wrong with it. The management light is like a Christmas light, it just comes on and off all the time when ever it feels like it.

Anyway that's besides the point. Your M3 looks great I really like the CSL kit and I bet the torque feels great. I would think the m3 must be a car on everybodys list to own at some stage.
That's exactly what held me back and is pretty much why I went for the Clubsport over the E36 M3.

Cost of replacing anything //M related is insane. Whereas aside from Tyres mine's fairly cheap and easy to maintain.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
bennn said:
That's exactly what held me back and is pretty much why I went for the Clubsport over the E36 M3.

Cost of replacing anything //M related is insane. Whereas aside from Tyres mine's fairly cheap and easy to maintain.
true, but its also not an m3 and doesnt have that performance, so i dont think its fair to mention them together....

servicing is astronomical, but thats why they have come down so much in price to purchase.

OP - yep i understand now, good choice on the CSL wheels

still not convinced a mapped teg would come close though

bennn

Advanced Member
I completely agree, I was merely saying that's what stopped me going for the E36 I'd otherwise prefer.

jazmo

Yeah in my e46 i'm suprised the rear subframe was still attached when I look at the boot floor!!! Also was unreliable as it gets, cost me a fortune in 18 months, and that was just a diesel!! (albeit a tuned 280bhp one)